Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike theft in Edinburgh and petition.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:49 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Bike theft in Edinburgh and petition. Reply with quote

Bike theft and "bikelyfe" style gangs in Edinburgh are reaching epidemic proportions. Multiple foreign tourists have had their bikes stolen when visiting the capital and they have progressed from stealing parked bikes to bikejacking and robbery.

Police seem to have a no intervention, no persuit policy and are effectively ignoring the problem.

When you have incidents like a bike instructor being surrounded by a masked gang intent on getting him off his bike during a lesson (and where this happened is hardly an out of the way place, it's one of the main routes into the city). A friend of mine was approached at a set of lights recently and threatened with a hammer. Police weren't really interested then made noises about him jumping the red light after checking the CCTV Rolling Eyes Link here

MAG have organised a petition to the Scottish parliament calling for robust action to be taken: https://petitions.parliament.scot/petitions/PE1971

It'll undoubtedly be ignored but it does no harm to try.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the legalities of setting up a private police force? 'Cos the public one is worth fuck all Sad

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these gangs have certain *profile* I wonder.
To be taking such risks must be selling on stolen bikes almost to order you would think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Comrade Sturgeon will sort it all out for you.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:33 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Do these gangs have certain *profile* I wonder.
To be taking such risks must be selling on stolen bikes almost to order you would think.

No, they are stealing them to ride then openly riding them about town with no fucks given until they break down, then steal another one.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve said this before but vehicle crime is treated by the police like a business transaction or blameless incident.

“You’ve got insurance? Give them this crime reference and they’ll make it all better with no harm done, no further action required.”

It looks like they’ve been treating burglaries in the same extraordinary manner.

Police chiefs across the country have for the first time committed to sending officers to ‘every home burglary’ in England and Wales.

We’re lucky they don’t regard National Insurance as another excuse to do nothing.

“Here’s your mugging incident reference. Now just pop down to A&E and get yourself patched up.”

If you turn a blind eye to even minor crimes it escalates. Nip it in the bud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I’ve said this before but vehicle crime is treated by the police like a business transaction or blameless incident.

“You’ve got insurance? Give them this crime reference and they’ll make it all better with no harm done, no further action required.”

It looks like they’ve been treating burglaries in the same extraordinary manner.

Police chiefs across the country have for the first time committed to sending officers to ‘every home burglary’ in England and Wales.

We’re lucky they don’t regard National Insurance as another excuse to do nothing.

“Here’s your mugging incident reference. Now just pop down to A&E and get yourself patched up.”

If you turn a blind eye to even minor crimes it escalates. Nip it in the bud.

I wanted to get a burglar alarm fitted but I can't for the life of me say Purple Burgular Alarm.

Re: Getting mugged on a bike.
It has crossed my mind once or more when wending my way through certain areas of Scroteburgh.
And Craigmillar isn't nearly as bad as legend would have it.
Other places that have traffic lights are more risky.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:19 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were actually discussing what to do in the situation that bike instructor had.

I think I'd opt for picking one then just straight-up riding right through/over him. Geared and fuelled up on my VFR, you're looking at about 350kg of moving mass vs a ratboy on a pushbike. Physics always wins.

Quote:
Craigmillar isn't nearly as bad as legend would have it.

Not since they bulldozed most of it a few years back.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:15 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a litre, just lay it on it's side.

You want it? Pick the bastard up....

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 06 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Bike theft in Edinburgh and petition. Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It'll undoubtedly be ignored

I'm not so sure. Things were pretty bad in London a few years ago, but that changed when all the footage of lawlessness was shared on social media, and the police and politicians came under a bit of pressure. The Met changed their no-pursuit policy, and they're a very well funded police force with lots of resources, so things started to change. Dealing with actual crime is what ordinary city people want, regardless of whether they ride bikes. I'll sign.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:31 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In London it changed when someone got killed. Footage and news commentary about it had been circulating for months before then, but the hammer only came down after the murder, which made the police change their policy of avoiding pursuit if a scooter rider wasn't wearing a helmet.

Shortly after that, a scooter criminal was killed during a police chase. There was a bit of news coverage, but no significant anti-police outcry.

Very, very quickly the moped crime problem went from a major problem to being part of the background noise of general crime in London.

I expect other cities will follow a similar model. The police do not want to be blamed for a death over a stolen vehicle or mobile phone. As soon as moped criminals are linked to a major crime - murder, terrorism - the hammer comes down with an unlimited enforcement budget.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Bike theft in Edinburgh and petition. Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

I'm not so sure. Things were pretty bad in London a few years ago, but that changed when all the footage of lawlessness was shared on social media, and the police and politicians came under a bit of pressure. The Met changed their no-pursuit policy, and they're a very well funded police force with lots of resources, so things started to change. Dealing with actual crime is what ordinary city people want, regardless of whether they ride bikes. I'll sign.

This is key, needs to be on youtube and facebook to easily share, with decent quality footage showing an attack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:29 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fucking brutal.
They burgled my mates house on Friday while he was nightshift with me. His wife and kids were upstairs and they were in his house for 45 minutes.
Stole his KTM, e-bike and a car.
They need killed.

I refuse to ride inside Edinburgh now, but if I have to even get close, I keep a hammer on the bike, fuckem, I'd use it.

They should burn Pilton and Mayfield to the ground.

As an aside, if your bike gets nicked, check behind the old church in Pilton, they stash them there before usung them later.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:47 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:

As an aside, if your bike gets nicked, check behind the old church in Pilton, they stash them there before usung them later.

Aye, they stach them for a bit to make sure they don't have trackers.

They also have FB and whatsapp groups dropping pins on likely targets and on bikes they reckon have too much security to nick.

They seem to have a hardon for Triumphs in particular. I think it's something to do with immobalisers. If you have something like a Honda with HISS on board, they wren't getting that started.

They got caught in the act of nicking a triumph belonging to one of my club and ran off. They'd already plugged a pre-made ignition bypass device into the loom.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

They got caught in the act of nicking a triumph belonging to one of my club and ran off. They'd already plugged a pre-made ignition bypass device into the loom.

That doesn't sound like rat-boy antics, more like pro thieves?!

I'm not sure the "byk-life" thing and the thieves/bikejackers are necessarily the same group (although probably can be). There's a crowd around here which spend most of their time on their rear wheel only, but if they come past me on my bike, they just seem to want to show off their antics rather than actually try anything on.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be just as bad in NE England there's a facebook group with several bikes going missing or found having been removed and parked in quiet spot every day.
Only certain obvious hotspots have the problem though.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/northeastbikers

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:15 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of it is riding them about.

If you were nicking it for parts/resale you wouldn't bother trying to start it and ride away on the street where it's parked, it would be van and gone.

Don't underestimate how much effort the little fuckers will go to to steal a bike to ride around on. When my MZ street moto got nicked, they cut the 16mm through hardened load chain with some sort of shear. It turned up a week later being ridden around town with a rats-nest of wiring hanging off it bypassing the 12 lead immobaliser.

Toerag who was caught filling it up with fuel ran off and was chased and caught by the police. CPS didn't press any charges. None at all, not even road traffic offences. That was in carlisle.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's happening everywhere; the inner 'burbs of Manchester are particularly bad, but stories pop up on the various Facebook groups I'm in on a regular basis. Mostly it's scrotes being opportunistic taking an unsecured 125, or boltcroppers at most against a feeble chain. I know people who have been surrounded before now, but no serious efforts to take anything, but that's just the people I know.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:02 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back hanging?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Bring back hanging?

Public flogging, preferably by the victim or their nominee.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
Bring back hanging?

Public flogging, preferably by the victim or their nominee.

Crucifixion? Line on the left... one cross each.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Stoning. Even I can afford a packet of gravel.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

No women though!

https://workprog.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/life-of-brian.jpg

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

What if they weigh the same as a duck?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 11 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

What if they weigh the same as a duck?

Burn 'em!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2