BCF: Bike Chat Forums

emotions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: emotions Reply with quote

I used to have a range of emotions from high to low. Lately I find I'm in a desensitized state of meh. The unrelenting bad news, the doom and gloom in the media, ffs give me something positive for a change.

OGR

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 07 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm?
Dr Pepperami says maybe you should have a look at the ‘What’s Oiled my gears’ thread.

Once again the sage that is Pepperami has the answer!
You’re welcome Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a boat. You'll feel loads better. Poorer but better.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:18 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: emotions Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
I used to have a range of emotions from high to low. Lately I find I'm in a desensitized state of meh. The unrelenting bad news, the doom and gloom in the media, ffs give me something positive for a change.

OGR

Lick the terminals on a 9v battery, one of them is definitely positive. HTH. Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:08 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a symptom of mild depression.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that way sometimes. I think it's too much exposure to everything. We didn't evolve to cope with the constant barrage of news from all quarters.

A reduction in screen time usually helps me. I've taken to chucking some music on and doing one of these ROKR kits.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:23 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe go out for a ride on your motorcycle?

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you're replying to OGR, but I honestly don't remember the last time I went out on the bike just for fun Thinking genuinely may have been as far back as 2018!

There's likely to come a point in the very near future where I no longer commute by bike, and I'm actually really excited to ride less but it be more for fun than necessity when I do ride.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I get that way sometimes. I think it's too much exposure to everything. We didn't evolve to cope with the constant barrage of news from all quarters.

A reduction in screen time usually helps me. I've taken to chucking some music on and doing one of these ROKR kits.

Yep, unplug from the news and live your own life.
Can't get out on my own bike now, can't get to the Lake District fells for hill walking, which were my main two options not so long ago when I wanted to forget all the crap, so I plug into music and workouts now, both of which help to lift my moods immensely.

I do still keep an eye on headlines, occasionally dig a bit deeper, but most of the news is dismissed as, well, what can I do about it? Not a lot, move on.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

This. I finally went to see the GP about it, and have been going through therapy with my local mental health team. I'm not "cured", but have a better understanding of the condition, and have tools to manage it.

Everyone is different, but the first step is to talk to someone about it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
MarJay wrote:

This. I finally went to see the GP about it, and have been going through therapy with my local mental health team. I'm not "cured", but have a better understanding of the condition, and have tools to manage it.

I'm curious. Are these 'tools' mostly about identifying and changing patterns of thinking?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:11 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of mdma and speed in the 90s solved my depression.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

More old school myself - a Fray Bentos pie and a wank resolves most mental health issues.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:45 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The pay-off wasn't so good though, was it? Laughing
Actually, MDMA is currently under proper research for treating mental health disorders, as are a number of psychedelics, and showing much promise, now that we're getting over the scaremongering and general clampdown that started in the 60s. Fascinating area of study to delve into as more information and studies are released. These days I'm much more interested in the subject from a therapy and general wellbeing perspective than from a recreational point of view. Must be getting old Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

More old school myself - a Fray Bentos pie and a wank resolves most mental health issues.

A 4 person steak & kidney pudding on a 'jus' of beans, with ketchup. Now we're talking!

Being serious however, that does sound like mild depression, to whit a visit to the quack and exercise is the way forward...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried alcohol?

Get smashed, start an argument with someone, get your head kicked in.

When you sober up you will then 'hopefully' realise how much better off you are than many others.

I would also ask my gp to start me on a course of Thorazine or similar.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

I'm curious. Are these 'tools' mostly about identifying and changing patterns of thinking?

It is, along with a serotonin uptake inhibitor. I still have to work on generating the serotonin myself in the first place, but it hangs around in my system longer.

In its basic form, it's like dieting or budgeting - first stage is recording what you're eating or spending, so you're basing decisions on facts rather than feelings. Then it's setting realistic goals, and once you handle that, start pushing the envelope, and don't beat yourself up if you have a duff period. If you write stuff down, you can look back and see progress on the days where you are struggling, and know that it will pass.

A lot of people can't get the support I've had - the wife, work, family. Depression sneaks up on you, and you end up with a "normal" that isn't healthy. The British stiff upper lip has a lot to answer for.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
The British stiff upper lip has a lot to answer for.

It has its place, but it's recognising when some other approach is needed I think.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 08 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I've made an effort to unplug from the news, classic fm rings the bells lol. Been on the booze route before, no thanks. Do ride my bikes regularly and its great when I'm on em. Am I better off than a lot of people, undoubtably.

Mild depression, doubt it really. Think its just a consequence of getting older where the highs and lows come closer together, I'm not whingeing about it, just an observation and it could be worse, I could be Lewis Hamilton lol

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:53 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you do any sports? For instance, cycling, exercising, weight lifting, endurance running... can bring you a lot of joy, in form of all sorts of happy hormones produced naturally by your own body, such as dopamine, serotonin, endorphin, ... Many of those are also produced by your body after you being regularly exposed to coldness.

Altering your brain chemistry with pills should only be the last resort.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Tbh, the thought terrifies me. There are so many methods to try first, as you have hinted. I think part of the problem is we seek easy ways out of too many things, and not just mental health problems. I think it is often seeking that ease that leads to the mental health problems in the first place.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I honestly don't remember the last time I went out on the bike just for fun

Wow. It's literally the only reason I ever ride my bike.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:54 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Do fuck off. Let people get whatever help they need without introducing doubt.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young folks are easily triggered, aren't they Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 09 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Do fuck off. Let people get whatever help they need without introducing doubt.

Let me demonstrate on something nearly everyone has experienced at least once or experiences on regular bases. Believe it or not sedatery jobs lead to lower back and neck pain. Why? Well, if you don't use your muscles they get weak. Weak muscles get pulled (damaged) easily and let stuff (vertebrae) to move around and pinch nerves. Now, what if I told you, that it takes only like 5 minutes a day of stretching and exercising to get rid of all such pain and to prevent it, without any side illeffects?

Wouldn't you at least try, or you would just start using painkillers to which people develop resistency over time and quite probably addiction, while those painkillers also have side illeffects on the liver and kidneys? Also, furter weaking of back (core) muscles can lead to such wear and tear that you do not want to experience.

EDIT: Spending your life sitting down has other unwanted side effects on your health, of course.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2