BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Drones.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Drones. Reply with quote

Any drone users here? I’ve got a small (£300) bonus from work and it’s the start of my 61st trip round the sun so I’m looking to treat myself. I’ve dabbled with free flight and radio-controlled planes in the past, and cameras on kites and bikes. I’ve been intrigued by drones but not sure if it would be a fleeting interest. I guess I’m just curious to try. The Hubsan Zion Mini Pro is a good bit more than £300 but caught my eye. Would this be the start of an enduring hobby, or an expensive, fruitless and brief romance with technology.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:07 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son Has a Mavic Pro Platinum with extra batteries giving it a flight time of close to an hour and a half with battery swaps.

It has 3 modes. GPS stabilised, follow me, and sport mode.

It has a stabilised 4k camera.

It cost just under £ 400 at auction second hand.

£300 quid new will get you a toy.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:22 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything over 250g requires an operator and flyer licence as well.

I'm the operator licence on the number 2's (and he smells like a number 2) drone because you have to be over 18.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:10 - 12 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Drones. Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
an expensive, fruitless and brief romance with technology.

That would be my expectation, in fact it's most likely only a matter of time until Nobby's kid wants to sell his. Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:17 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Drones. Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
or an expensive, fruitless and brief romance with technology.

That.

I bought myself a DJI fpv and I've used it enough to warrant the money but I don't feel it's going to get used much. Initial fun has happened Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini 3 Pro is the stand out one at the moment, version with screen built in does away with that annoying phone attachment thing and is in the air less than a minute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a DJI Mini 2.

<250g so minimal regulations.

Great quality camera and I got some epic scenery shots on my Norway trip. IIRC I got it for £350ish 2nd hand with the "fly more" kit.

As above, this is pretty much entry level in terms of quality and I wouldn't go with anything cheaper. Now the mini 3 is out, you can probably pick up the mini 2's a bit cheaper.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Drones. Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
. Would this be the start of an enduring hobby, or an expensive, fruitless and brief romance with technology.

Hmmm? You say that, ? A friend of mine who is in to all this drone nonsense is doing a nice little sideline with his.
He’s been taken up by a security company, and sometimes provides a flying eye picture to them at large events.
He’s now dabbling with indoor drones with cameras Shocked ! To do the same at large indoor venues.

I don’t know the first thing about his drones other than he’s spent far to much of his money on them.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:59 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://uk.banggood.com/SJRC-F11S-4K-PRO-GPS-5G-WIFI-3KM-Repeater-FPV-with-4K-HD-Camera-2-Axis-Electronic-Stabilization-Gimbal-Brushless-Foldable-RC-Drone-Quadcopter-RTF-p-1889211.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=531930563352&rmmds=CategoryToysPop&trace_id=4c911665662299760

Depends what you want it for really but this is what you want for a cheapy but goody. Plenty of reviews about.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the test of whether one would end up collecting dust or not is if you have in mind already the kind of thing you want to use it for, and are itching to get on with it. Doesn't sound like it so far....?

For e.g., the drone videos I most like to watch are of active volcanoes, a great way of getting closer and seeing what's really going on. Some folks travel the world to follow this passion. Another one is just spectacular mountain scenery.

To me, technology for tech's sake doesn't do anything. I'd quickly get bored with just messing about with the thing, and it seems a bit expensive for that.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have a play with one but not sure I'd pull the trigger and buy one.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the retail drones are basically camera platforms.

If you are into camera-ing then they are a great tool.

Image resolution is the main priority.

Then the control-abilities.

Then the fly time. They say 30min battery but it's important not to drain the battery and have the drone land near where you're controlling it from.

There are a lot of good YouTube videos.

I use a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. Superseded by the Mavic 3 recently.

Even if your drone is under 250g they must still be flown within line of site.

Look at the UK CAA website and do the free drone license course. It will help you avoid problems with folk and law enforcement.

You won't get much use out of a £300 drone.
Do not buy one of those £100 shite toys.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droning Youtubers:

Jeven Dovey.

Tech Drone Media.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:54 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pro Platinum has a max height ceiling of 3 miles and can manage a flight distance of 9 miles (on one battery) with range of transmitters of 5 miles.

All of that horrendously outside of CAA rules....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The good ones launch Hellfire missiles Twisted Evil
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:

The good ones launch Hellfire missiles Twisted Evil

That’s it. I think I can solve this crisis we’re in. Whatever it is.

The Hubsan I mentioned claims to have an extraordinary control range. It seems a lot of drones go missing though.

https://dronesreunited.uk/

I’m going off the idea. There are not many active volcanos in Hertfordshire, for example.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The po po will be all over you if you fly them near stadiums.
I seen them collar a yoof for flying his drone on thier patch/airspace.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The Hubsan I mentioned claims to have an extraordinary control range...There are not many active volcanos in Hertfordshire

Solved your own problem Mr. Green

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 13 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top tip for the Mavic mini pilots; Fly into the wind first. Shifty

Average windspeeds sure increase with altitude...who would've thought that eh. My mini Gen1 can handle 10-20mph gusts and does about 25mph in sport mode.

They're fun and used mine to supplement our holiday mixed media albums.Sleeping

Next project for it is a music video. The gimble will aid with handheld shots.

I do feel a little self-conscious when flying it, so most flights have been well away from the public. They're pretty noisy until you're above 50m or so.

I got some cracking footage of my first crash into a tree which was over a river, and the way it hung off the low branch captured me wading in to rescue it.

Mine is 2nd hand didn't cost much but there was no way I could leave it in a tree.

Flying it last year through light snow was pretty trippy.
Putting the protective cage on it and flying it through the house saved me from dusting.

£30 for a two year licence plus the tickbox test...not too bad in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:06 - 14 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what kind of flying you want to do really. Everyone thinks DJI Mavic when they think drone, which yes they do take some lovely videos and theyre very, very easy to fly they basically fly themselves... that also makes them very boring.

If you want a self propelled camcorder, theyre brilliant. If you want to entertain the kids with "hey heres an aerial view of our house!" also brilliant.

If you actually wanna fly and experience some proper cool stuff, you want a racer drone with FPV goggles, rather than looking at the camera through your phone screen its more like a VR headset flying experience which is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBb_kSO3vTo

However you will crash into everything every time you take it out until you get good enough to not crash Razz basically every time I take mine out, the day is ended by something breaking in a crash... on the plus side its all modular and easily replaceable and you get good practice at fiddly soldering!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:10 - 14 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near an airfield now so I'm locked to height, but its still high enough to fuck around. Fortunately I have very little around me so I can go for miles and stuff, but I intend to take it to the beach when its cold and less windy and see how far it will go out to sea and up/down the coast. Does some 4K recording and stuff, batteries last 12 minutes or so, can eek 15 mins out of the 'normal' mode, but if you are in the 60mph sport or 85mph manual mode, its just "fuck your battery, I'm eating it." Laughing

Good bit of fun until you crash it Mr. Green

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:05 - 14 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the number 2's DJI you can put it in race mode which is basically flying it properly and turns off all the collision detection etc.

If, however, you wanted to fly it properly, you'd want to learn how to do it on something a lot cheaper...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:03 - 14 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
On the number 2's DJI you can put it in race mode which is basically flying it properly and turns off all the collision detection etc.

If, however, you wanted to fly it properly, you'd want to learn how to do it on something a lot cheaper...

Oh yes, definitely learn on a basic DIY motor and that, crashing mine was hilarious but to be fair to it, it crashed at ~75mph and was fixed for £30 Laughing

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:31 - 14 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'lost' my Hubsan mini in the trees at the back of my house. Couldn't find it at the first try.

So waited until it got dark and then went back because the little drone has flashing lights on it. Bit of a walk about later and I found it happily blinking to itself hundreds of yards from where I thought it went in!!

Still got that one too, great fun for annoying the kids when they're trying to watch the masked bimbo or whatever its called.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1