Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Irritating 21st centrury words or phrases..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Where did 'Deleting' come from? As in, to delete an egr valve....

It's called, removing.

That, or something very similar, has been around for a long time - I had a MkI Capri that came from the factory without a couple features that were standard for the model, they were known as delete options even then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Scots phonetics.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:23 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
All Scots phonetics.

Ocht hawd yer wheesht ya dunder heid.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
All Scots phonetics.

Ocht hawd yer wheesht ya dunder heid.

Oh, keep quiet yourself, you fool.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:27 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

You had to google the translation for that. Cool

B1N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:06 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just select 'Jock to Sassenach' on the pull down menu. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:53 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Space"

Like "I'm in my safe space" or "This is a space for feminist ideals to blossom.".

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:55 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
All Scots phonetics.

You do know Scots has been a written language for a very long time?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

You had to google the translation for that. Cool

It wouldn't be worth the effort. Scots don't have anything interesting to say, which is why they never bothered to learn a proper language.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
All Scots phonetics.

You do know Scots has been a written language for a very long time?

Give me a paragraph as example, any subject you like, but make it non-Scots-specific; the weather, motorcycles, astrophysics, anything. Don't go looking for something already written; you talk to me in your 'natural' Scots.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

It wouldn't be worth the effort. Scots don't have anything interesting to say, which is why they never bothered to learn a proper language.

Oreally?

Well FYI... Scottish have a language called Gaelic which a lot of Scottish folk use. Welsh, Irish and IOM folk use very similar versions of the same.

The Henglish on the other hand just use whatever language their current invaders use. (Or a mixture of several invaders.)

We adopted the Pidgin what the Henglish speak to make it easier for them to trade with us. Cool

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

We adopted the Pidgin what the Henglish speak to make it easier for them to trade with us. Cool

Don't be silly, you don't have anything anyone else wants. Stick to your full gaelic then, and then the rest of us don't have to bother trying to understand the nothing you have to say.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:

Don't be silly, you don't have anything anyone else wants. Stick to your full gaelic then, and then the rest of us don't have to bother trying to understand the nothing you have to say.

Just you wait....

When Nicholia Sturgenova turns the gas and oil pipe lines to England off and then points 'our' Trident missiles at England. it will be a different song the haters will be singing

(Nicky and Humza will have to negotiate for the Launch Codes for the missile system. Once we have a new PM at No. 10 of course.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:29 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Give me a paragraph as example, any subject you like, but make it non-Scots-specific; the weather, motorcycles, astrophysics, anything. Don't go looking for something already written; you talk to me in your 'natural' Scots.

Aye, aye, fit like? Dae ye ken faraboots ah gan tae get mah covid jag?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

That's better. I can just skip your nonsense now Laughing

Btw, you call that a paragraph? Still, I guess it takes a lot out of you, making all those primitive noises: heroin and deep fried Mars Bars take their toll, don't they? Razz

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisky-Rum-Banana Smoothy.

That's a health drink.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Btw 2: that's just bastardised English, not a language. I could write phonetically as a Cockney, or a Geordie, or as a Cornishman - doesn't make it a language. And it's not enough to throw in the odd word that might genuinely come from Scottish culture.

And no, I don't know (or care) how far you have to go to get your (mostly useless and possibly dangerous) Covid jab Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:17 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ats aah richt an guid, but fow dae ye ken fit ye're speerin isnae the bastardised way and the aud scots isnae mair faithful tae fit wis wrotten originally?

Wid ye agree at een o the greatest English wrichters was William Shakespere? Fow weel dis at compare tae modern English fan it's wrotten doon or cryed oot?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Well, ats aah richt an guid, but fow dae ye ken fit ye're speerin isnae the bastardised way and the aud scots isnae mair faithful tae fit wis wrotten originally?

Because we call it English, not Scottish. If you want to be faithful to a Scots language, speak and write in gaelic.

Quote:
Wid ye agree at een o the greatest English wrichters was William Shakespere? Fow weel dis at compare tae modern English fan it's wrotten doon or cryed oot?

Changes in English don't mean that the way Scots speak is a separate language. Just bastardised English, coming from a local interpretation. As I said, Geordie, Cockney and Cornish are localised versions of English, nothing more. Otherwise, I would not be able to understand your questions, as I would not with any language I was unfamiliar with. I understand you because I understand ENGLISH. I was never taught any so-called "Scots".

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottish Gaelic would be wot the invaders from Éire brought over and Scots is just a version of English wot the invaders from south of the border imposed on the Lowlanders. What true Scottish languages are there? Half a dozen people speaking something vaguely Brythonic on a remote island with more sheep than people?!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Scottish Gaelic would be wot the invaders from Éire brought over and Scots is just a version of English wot the invaders from south of the border imposed on the Lowlanders. What true Scottish languages are there? Half a dozen people speaking something vaguely Brythonic on a remote island with more sheep than people?!

These BCF forums are aye a good place to get one's education from.

The Irish The Welsh, The Scots and the I o Manians all originated from regions across Europe, (The Gauls et al).

Being an industrious, adventurous and inteligent people they fell out with the Europeans so headed West. The marched across N. England/S. Scotland and over the Sea to Ireland. They then Came back into the mainland and settles England, Wales and Scotland.
The Welsh, Scots and Irish held the Status Que over many years.

The Henglish put their hands up anytime they were invaded.

This is now a genetic part of the Henglish Race.
They spent the time from the end of the middle ages invading all the other countries of the world.

Some of the above is open to debate. Embarassed

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

These BCF forums are aye a good place to get one's education from.

The Irish The Welsh, The Scots and the I o Manians all originated from regions across Europe, (The Gauls et al).

Being an industrious, adventurous and inteligent people they fell out with the Europeans so headed West. The marched across N. England/S. Scotland and over the Sea to Ireland. They then Came back into the mainland and settles England, Wales and Scotland.
The Welsh, Scots and Irish held the Status Que over many years.

The Henglish put their hands up anytime they were invaded.

This is now a genetic part of the Henglish Race.
They spent the time from the end of the middle ages invading all the other countries of the world.

Some of the above is open to debate. Embarassed

Your 'Scots' is bastardised English, your English is terrible. No help for you either way really, is there? Razz

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speaking to a lass from Manchester this afternoon.
I was really struggling to understand what she was saying. 50% of the key words were unintelligible. Mostly it is possible to follow speach when keywords are clear. It sounded like she was talking through a bag of cold custard.

There are some Hot Accents in the N. East of Hengland too. Johwdee WTF is that? A noise? Just a mating call?

The Ool accent from Oombersayd is a bit of a mouthfull too.

I am well aware of the phonetic cretins we have in Glasgow. I struggle to comprehend a lot of their diction.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoken accents are something else entirely. But here, if you want me to make an effort to understand you, make an effort to be understood.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Doric Thumbs Up Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9