BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nature

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 08 Apr 2023    Post subject: Nature Reply with quote

Sitting in the back garden on a lovely sunny afternoon...

Energy from the Sun. How to harness it?

In nature there only seems to be solar. Plants suck up the energy from the Sun and convert it to either fats or sugars. Fat, i.e. vegetable oil, is basically diesel therefore Nature's answer to energy generation/storage is to make diesel Smile

I'm trying to think of any way nature harnesses the power of wind or tides Thinking

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 08 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Nature Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Sitting in the back garden on a lovely sunny afternoon...

Energy from the Sun. How to harness it?

In nature there only seems to be solar. Plants suck up the energy from the Sun and convert it to either fats or sugars. Fat, i.e. vegetable oil, is basically diesel therefore Nature's answer to energy generation/storage is to make diesel Smile

I'm trying to think of any way nature harnesses the power of wind or tides Thinking

Birds use wind power to their advantage but that's not really energy conversion.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:50 - 08 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically the wind and tides are also solar powered. The wind rather more directly, the tides as a result of a massive gravity well.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 08 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother Nature would probably approve of us putting all that tragically sequestered carbon back into circulation even if it changes humankind’s status quo.

Biofuels from waste-processing activities seems to me to be the way forward, although the volumes are unlikely to compete with the quantities we’ve been able to hoik out of the ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 08 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Technically the wind and tides are also solar powered. The wind rather more directly, the tides as a result of a massive gravity well.

AFAIK there are only two natural systems of energy gathering/storage on this planet: the common photosynthesis of plants and the less common chemosynthesis of bacteria around volcanic vents. Wind and tide energy seem to be a uniquely unnatural human contrivance and I wonder if we should take the hint from nature and give it up as a fools errand?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:06 - 08 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

AFAIK there are only two natural systems of energy gathering/storage on this planet: the common photosynthesis of plants and the less common chemosynthesis of bacteria around volcanic vents. Wind and tide energy seem to be a uniquely unnatural human contrivance and I wonder if we should take the hint from nature and give it up as a fools errand?

Aye, synthetic chloroplasts would solve a lot of problems. There again, on a macroscopic level, the wind is effectively a planetary scale kinetic storage device for solar power.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:31 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tides are mostly caused by the moon, not the sun.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:53 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Tides are mostly caused by the moon, not the sun.

But the whole kit and caboodle is spinning in Sols gravity well.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:09 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a bit like saying all fusion reactors on earth are solar. If you were to take the sun away the tides would still follow the lunar cycle.

Yes the sun can augment or decrease the size of the tide but the central driver is the moon.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Thats a bit like saying all fusion reactors on earth are solar. If you were to take the sun away the tides would still follow the lunar cycle.

Yes the sun can augment or decrease the size of the tide but the central driver is the moon.

If you took the Sun away then there would be nothing holding the solar system together., no planetary orbits. It's at the heart of everything.

There are two sources of energy on Earth, one is the Sun with solar energy driving wind, ocean currents and life, the second is internal and is the radioactive decay of Th232, K40, and U235 driving tectonic activity and volcanism. Everything else is derived from these two sources.

Use of wind, tidal and wave energy is a no-brainer as is the use of solar whether it be PV, heating molten salt to boil water and generate power or solar water heating panels. There are huge amounts of energy available from the Sun and its global systems. There's a penalty of course, and that's the gradual slowing of the Earth's rotation but that's an imperceptible effect apart from over geological time.

Geothermal will be the next big thing IMO especially with advances in drilling technology.

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:47 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

If you took the Sun away then there would be nothing holding the solar system together., no planetary orbits. It's at the heart of everything.

There are two sources of energy on Earth, one is the Sun with solar energy driving wind, ocean currents and life, the second is internal and is the radioactive decay of Th232, K40, and U235 driving tectonic activity and volcanism. Everything else is derived from these two sources.

Use of wind, tidal and wave energy is a no-brainer as is the use of solar whether it be PV, heating molten salt to boil water and generate power or solar water heating panels. There are huge amounts of energy available from the Sun and its global systems. There's a penalty of course, and that's the gradual slowing of the Earth's rotation but that's an imperceptible effect apart from over geological time.

Geothermal will be the next big thing IMO especially with advances in drilling technology.

There is a third natural source just 90 mill miles away which we are technically unable to take advantage of at present - Fusion. There have been significant advances though. 50-100 years could see this as the primary source and all others relegated to obscurity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
Islander wrote:

There is a third natural source just 90 mill miles away which we are technically unable to take advantage of at present - Fusion. There have been significant advances though. 50-100 years could see this as the primary source and all others relegated to obscurity.

That's the Sun. The first source of energy I cited.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:46 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the future, I can see the tech for nano-machines becoming much more do-able, combine it with graphene and you can start taking advantage of small temperature differentials as an energy source.

Billions of nano-scale peltier type devices printed onto a surface with a graphene heat sink. Run water over them that's slightly warmer than the atmospheric temperature (or slightly cooler) and you should be able to generate electricity.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anything in nature takes advantage of radioactivity but geothermal you could relate to chemosynthesis I guess, good shout though.

If you had a billion quid though and could either invest in wind, tide or solar I think I'd always pick solar as that's at least something already happening all around us every day.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I don't think anything in nature takes advantage of radioactivity but geothermal you could relate to chemosynthesis I guess, good shout though.

A lot of natural processes are quite dependent on tectonics though - you gave an example earlier of the black smokers at divergent plate boundaries so without tectonics you wouldn't have those.

Easy-X wrote:
If you had a billion quid though and could either invest in wind, tide or solar I think I'd always pick solar as that's at least something already happening all around us every day.

If you were going for a certainty then tidal would be the best bet. Utterly predictable and not dependent on weather conditions unlike wind or solar. Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:10 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utterly predictable by a 28 day cycle that just happens to match the moon's?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Utterly predictable by a 28 day cycle that just happens to match the moon's?

The 28 day cycle has little to do with tides, that's just the relative position of Moon and Sun. The Moon does generate tides though and the Sun adds a small amount to those in certain alignments. The point I was making earlier is that the Sun is the glue that holds the solar system together. No Sun, no solar system, no orbits. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:39 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

A lot of natural processes are quite dependent on tectonics though - you gave an example earlier of the black smokers at divergent plate boundaries so without tectonics you wouldn't have those.

A lot of the really primitive bugs around black smokers use ion gradients as an energy source.

Mrs stinkwheel actually accused me of being an insufferable smartarse when we were watching one of Brian Coxs documentaries. He asked "How do we define life?" and I said, "A proton gradient across a semi-permeable membrane.". This turned out to be the correct answer. Very Happy

Pretty much all living things use this to power themselves. They create them in differing ways but a proton gradient is effectively your battery. Perhaps that's worth a closer look? Here's us powering everything with electron potentials.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Islander wrote:

A lot of the really primitive bugs around black smokers use ion gradients as an energy source.

Mrs stinkwheel actually accused me of being an insufferable smartarse when we were watching one of Brian Coxs documentaries. He asked "How do we define life?" and I said, "A proton gradient across a semi-permeable membrane.". This turned out to be the correct answer. Very Happy

Pretty much all living things use this to power themselves. They create them in differing ways but a proton gradient is effectively your battery. Perhaps that's worth a closer look? Here's us powering everything with electron potentials.

IIRC the basic life around black smokers is dependent on sulfur compounds for energy - mostly archaea. There's an interesting food chain up from there with huge electrochemical potential.

There have been some interesting experiments on proton batteries using hydrogen stored in atomic rather than molecular form and activated carbon electrodes. The experimental systems have a very high reversibility. This could become the fuel cell technology that really unlocks electric vehicles with fast refuel comparable with ICE refuelling. Proton batteries are a fascinating development.

I don't think we'll ever move entirely away from electron flow though.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:11 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

If you want the best ROI, it's wind. That's why a lot more money goes into wind farms than solar farms in the UK and anywhere else with a coastline.

Solar is massively variable based on the season. The last few days I've been making 4x what I was in winter.

Tidal is a nice idea, but bloody expensive. Solidly anchored things in the sea, with moving parts. That said, it would be interesting to see how it could compare with the cost of nuclear for baseload.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:15 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidal based on tidal lagoons would basically just be costal erosion measures In a lot of places.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:32 - 09 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Tidal based on tidal lagoons would basically just be costal erosion measures In a lot of places.

This, I don't know why we fuck about anchoring floaty things to the sea bed and building articulated snakes. Anyone who has seen them draining down a tidal lock or dry dock can surely see the simplicity of sticking a turbine on the end of that volume of water? It's understood technology too, we've been generating electricity using a head of water pressure for well over a century.

If you incorporated a salt marsh/mangrove area, that floods at one point and drains slowly via another like a river, you'd have a sustained release with built in ecosystem and carbon-sink too.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:36 - 12 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
No Sun, no solar system, no orbits. Smile

No solar orbits.

If the sun pinged out of existence, the moon would continue to orbit the sun.

Quote:
If you were going for a certainty then tidal would be the best be

Agreed.

The only energy this uses is the energy of earth's rotation, for which there is billions of years available.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 12 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If tidal and wind power are so obvious to exploit how come nothing in nature manages it. I suppose the question is: can anything in nature convert kinetic energy into chemical energy?

With regards to proton transfer across a semi-permeable membrane* is that more or less efficient than electron transfer across a liquid electrolyte?

*I'll see if I can work that one into a conversation... still getting a lot of mileage out of "supererogatory"

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:03 - 12 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nature tends to go about it the other way round, chemical into kinetic as it gets the chemical by using solar.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2