BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HOW F***ING MUCH? Bike tyres prices!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 17 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put Pirelli Angel ST on the vfr800fi a few months ago, think I paid around £160ish on eBay for a set, as like you, modern rubber prices made me wince.

They have been good. Bro had them on his cbt600f for years as his daily tide. Always vouched for them in all weathers.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:02 - 17 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

As I said, my preferred tyre for my zx9r is the b-stone t30s - they suit the bike very well, somehow. However, one way that the Pirellis are better is in regards to how the front tyre wears. The t30 fronts chamfer on the off-side (presumably because of camber - I ride a lot of unmarked unclassifieds and narrow b-roads). The tyre can still look okay, but my god the bike hates it. Meanwhile, the rear has another thou or two left on it. I'm really not used to fronts wearing out before rears.

But the Pirellis are different again - the fronts seems to keep good shape for a lot longer, and in fact it;s the rears that fail.

I keep wondering what the t31s are like - i will try em, but i just fitted a pair of t30s that a mate sold me for £120. Amazing price. He flogged his RT and had them in his garage doing nowt.

Same, loads of windy b roads in the arse end of norfolk. Roads are all over the place here. Pot holes and grit all over.... The main A roads are ok... once i get on them.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 17 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
MCN wrote:

My limit is when the tread gets to 2mm. More fun/safety on good tread.

Tyre leader are miles (Kilometres) more expensive than Demon Twits.

Ohhh indeed. I knew they were due a net set regardless... Just timing is shit. But also like I say ill be getting a little cash bump over the next few months and im getting a new bike and selling this one on.
Im just needing to be really stingy :/ Cant even afford central heating this winter :/

EBay. Punch in the sizes and cetera.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 17 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel ST on a z1000 cost me £233 fitted just a few weeks ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have had an eBay discount code to get the pair of angels for £160ish... That's just tyre cost though. £25 for fitting on loose wheels at my local garage.

Looks to be about £190 on eBay for a set now, plus fitting.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
It's already too late sadly - Tyreleader were my go-to as well, but they don't do bike tyres any more
They do, it's just not got a clicky to get to bike tyres.
Google Tyre Leader Bike Tyre.

Have you actually tried ordering, though?

I asked them about it via their chat function a few weeks ago actually.
Google takes you here, to their Irish site: https://www.tyreleader.ie/motorbike-tyres/
... and if you click on the little tricolour at the top to change it to the good old Union Flag, you'll find that it's mysteriously missing from the list of available countries...
They do still flog car tyres to the UK though, which is odd

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find their bike section without a google search. Then i searched for my tyres. But I never clicked through to basket.

The link to demon tweaks shows cheaper prices for same rubber, so I'll be buying from demon tweaks.
I need new hoops for the s1000rr.

I can afford to splash out on a set now rather than wait until new year and they've shot up another 20%

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyres are made from pigment called carbon black

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_black

guess who produces most of this?

Russia

always good to look at older models of tyres, had some ST's for the fazer 2 years ago for £120, can't get them now

looking at mutants or road 6 for about £200 a pair but have a couple of weeks yet

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:
tyres are made from pigment called carbon black

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_black

guess who produces most of this?

Russia

always good to look at older models of tyres, had some ST's for the fazer 2 years ago for £120, can't get them now

looking at mutants or road 6 for about £200 a pair but have a couple of weeks yet

It's a hefty amount too.

https://www.fraunhofer.de/en/press/research-news/2021/july-2021/carbon-black-recycled-from-car-tires.html#:~:text=Around%20three%20kilograms%20of%20carbon,three%20tons%20of%20carbon%20dioxide.

The carbon black market.

https://www.fortunebusinessinsights.com/industry-reports/carbon-black-market-101718
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2