Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Omegasteve
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Here's my punt..

Choke circuit is blocked. Unless you squirt yourself in the eye with carb cleaner while checking to prove otherwise I'm going to assume this. Mix screws were then tampered with to compensate for blocked choke. you corrected this and no-starty.

Also make certain that the battery is tip-top or you're jumping it. TCIs on UJMs need good volts.

I will certainly double and triple check this. Personally I'll admit I had ruled this out due to it previously starting but I'll not leave any stone unturned. I'll strip them completely down one at a time and start over. Thank you

Omegasteve
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Strange, I thought I replied to this yesterday but I guessI didn't hit submit.

A100man is on the money IMO this is the same engine as in the Bandit and I had to strip and service the cabrs on ine at least once, sometimes twice a year to keep t starting reliably.

In the end I did a bit of a write-up:

https://www.banditforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=69488.0

Thank you very much, I'll give that a good read and do a full strip down this time.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its not even coughing on easy start then Id also be starting to look elsewhere. I.e, you say its got good spark but are the coil packs wired correctly? its possible to have the low tension side to the coils wired backwards and that would spark the plugs but at the wrong time.

Also have you tried a compression check?
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Omegasteve
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning all, firstly I'd like to thank you all for your help. I've tried a few things to no avail. Yesterday I decided to completely strip the carbs down and clean and inspect them. I bought them from someone on a forum in good faith and in the understanding they were from a good running bike (or so id been told) so I didn't really inspect them closely (my mistake). Once i had them separated and stripped a few things immediately jumped out at me, the main jets were different to factory along with the needle valves and there was a copper coloured pipe missing from carb 2 that runs from the choke slider down to the bowl along with the internals having a lot of gunk in them Luckily I was able to steal the pipe from my old carbs and I've cleaned and rebuilt everything with a rebuild kit and copious amounts of carb cleaner. I've not finished yet but I'm on to carb three. Fingers crossed please!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omegasteve wrote:
there was a copper coloured pipe missing from carb 2 that runs from the choke slider down to the bowl along with the internals having a lot of gunk in them Luckily I was able to steal the pipe from my old carbs and I've cleaned and rebuilt everything with a rebuild kit and copious amounts of carb cleaner. I've not finished yet but I'm on to carb three. Fingers crossed please!

Not sure what you mean by 'choke slider' but these types of carbs often meter the choke circuit via a small 'jet' built into the bottom of the bowl that the 'copper coloured tube' sits in. This easily gets clagged up and blocked.
I'm quietly confident it starts right up once your deep clean is complete. Charge the batt too though.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Omegasteve
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 05:06 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Omegasteve wrote:
there was a copper coloured pipe missing from carb 2 that runs from the choke slider down to the bowl along with the internals having a lot of gunk in them Luckily I was able to steal the pipe from my old carbs and I've cleaned and rebuilt everything with a rebuild kit and copious amounts of carb cleaner. I've not finished yet but I'm on to carb three. Fingers crossed please!

Not sure what you mean by 'choke slider' but these types of carbs often meter the choke circuit via a small 'jet' built into the bottom of the bowl that the 'copper coloured tube' sits in. This easily gets clagged up and blocked.
I'm quietly confident it starts right up once your deep clean is complete. Charge the batt too though.

The plunger style piece of the choke circuit at the top of the carb is what I meant to be honest, the copper pipe was missing completely. Meaning the choke on carb 2 was non existent and I'd assume from what I can see leaving the bowl open to atmosphere as there was then a small hole in the side of the carb that should of been linked to the choke plunger but instead was open.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - maybe post some pics when you can - just to make sure we're talking the same language.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Omegasteve
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely will when I work out how haha

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Float bowls exist at atmospheric pressure so that won't hurt anything. It's what pushes the fuel up into the choke anyway so it's actually quite necessary.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking like another tick towards VJ's carb theory; 90% of carb problems are because somebody fucked with something they shouldn't have. The previous owner of your carbs in this case.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Omegasteve
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, so i tried a little easy start and it fired up and ran for a few seconds before it burnt it off and cut out again. Pretty much assuming that proves its a fuelling issue.
Ive then removed the carbs again, stripped them down and boiled them in a lemon juice/water mix (saw it recommended by loads of people as a good cleaner for them) and the amount of crap that came out from the places that cant be seen was insane! All passages have been then rinsed, sprayed with carb cleaner and then blown through with air along with the jets. They are now immaculate to look at at least! I've once again set them to the settings in the manual and am looking to get them fitted this weekend. Fingers crossed!

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2