Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noise detection cameras? Illegal exhausts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:15 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Noise detection cameras? Illegal exhausts? Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/18/noise-cameras-boy-racers-trial-road-users-legal-limits

So what's an illegal exhaust now?

Anything after market at all?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at your V5C you'll find a drive-by decibel field within it. If your vehicle is new enough, it'll have data in that field.

My guess is it'll be linked to that. Older vehicles will probably get ignored (and taken off the road by various other means, scrappage schemes, congestion charging, etc etc etc).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one in Bristol apparently. Too bad the Spacker's days are numbered. Stock exhaust going back on next week
which is stamped 80db on the underside. Anyone know what the threshold is?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume they’ll only be booking stuff new enough to be noise homologated then….

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long until people stand under one with a bullhorn waiting for people to go past?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would happen if you peeped your horn when you passed - would that put it over the limit, cos if it did, how can this work?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:24 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that most brass instruments will easily breach the decibel limit in the uk.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro 4 set the exhaust noise limit to 80dB whereas Euro 5 shifted that to overall engine noise. Goodbye dry clutches. Just looking at my V5 - XSR700 89dB (static) no idea what this is a measure of, exhaust or overall noise (or how you could tell which was which!)

TBH I don't even know if my bike is Euro 3 or 4. It's easy to look up such things for cars but not bikes on the VCA website. I'm assuming it's Euro 3 given first registration was May 2016, a bit early for Euro 4?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My YR5 is 108db at 5500 rpm. It’s a historic vehicle and not subject to any noise legislation barring actually having an exhaust system. Is the system clever enough to realise when something is actually breaking the law rather than just being louder than The Who at Knebworth?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
My YR5 is 108db at 5500 rpm. It’s a historic vehicle and not subject to any noise legislation barring actually having an exhaust system. Is the system clever enough to realise when something is actually breaking the law rather than just being louder than The Who at Knebworth?

ANPR cameras can easily check a number plate and look up the specs for a bike. However, accurately measuring the noise (and you'll have to do better than "fuck me! that's loud!") I would suggest is difficult, for a court's satisfaction anyway.

The article bangs on about noise being a blight on peoples lives. Surely that would mean getting rid of all HGVs? Nope, tax fine the low hanging fruit first Rolling Eyes

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

The article bangs on about noise being a blight on peoples lives. Surely that would mean getting rid of all HGVs? Nope, tax fine the low hanging fruit first Rolling Eyes

I live hemmed into a space between very busy A road and a motorway. I can tell you it's never an HGV that catches the attention. I can hear bikes buzzing around the area for miles - ordinarily because of a combination of loud pipe and crap riding (1st gear when should be in 3rd, etc and upwards).

I've had noisy exhausts on cars in the past and wouldn't dream of doing it again. My Enfield is stupid loud given what it can actually do, and my R NineT out of the factory isn't exactly quiet.

That's before we get into pop and bang maps on modified shopping trolleys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running purely by decibels it'd be hard differentiate between various vehicles but what makes a Ford Fiesta* annoying is the sound profile...

If I were to start with "I know a song that'll get on yer nerves..." you'd smack me no matter how quietly I sang it Wink

* "with Carlos Fandango wheels" as my wife always puts it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

That's before we get into pop and bang maps on modified shopping trolleys.

There's a few that do this with OEM mapping and exhausts. My departed Suzuki Swift Sport gave off the odd pop when
I was ragging it and that was completely stock.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 18 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
what would happen if you peeped your horn when you passed - would that put it over the limit, cos if it did, how can this work?

The 'captured' vehicle is sent for 'personal' testing. If it fails the 2nd test then it's curtains for the Zost and points applied.

If is helps eradicate those Billy Big Pipe with their Immaturity Blaring out from their After Market Zost/Trumpet.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does all seem extremely complex; the "drive by dB" is done at a certain throttle opening and speed, not while accelerating (I don't think anyway). If someone is overtaking at that moment in time, the dB level will be elevated. Lots of factory-standard sporty cars, as above, have maps these days that deliberately (and annoyingly) pop/fart on gear changes and this can be very loud sometimes; I suspect the standard noise testing doesn't pick this up because you have to be in sport mode, ragging etc. etc. to get that noise, rather than trundling past. Sound reflects a lot; while noise meters can be very targeted, how do you eliminate any other noise sources that might be louder?

I think the only possible thing they could really do is create a notification for plod (or VOSA) to go and check a vehicle afterwards where they think it might be in breach, rather than directly issue a fine, assuming the vehicle is still non-compliant when they look at it. It's not like you've got a simple visual evidence stream like you have with speed, it's so much harder to produce something concrete without an in-person test.

The govt is being actively squeezed to save money everywhere possible right now; this is nothing like speed cameras and I can't believe a noise enforcement system will ever pay for itself, especially if they have to rely on in-person verification of offences. The trail would have been sanctioned before "the big squeeze" - I doubt we'll hear much more of it (no pun intended).

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

I think the only possible thing they could really do is create a notification for plod (or VOSA) to go and check a vehicle afterwards where they think it might be in breach, rather than directly issue a fine, assuming the vehicle is still non-compliant when they look at it.

They already have microphone systems hooked up to AI in the states that monitor for gunfire etc and send an alert to the fuzz if anything is picked up. Imagine it would be similar for this, rather than just "something's hit a set noise level", but I'm purely guessing. It'd still need someone to look at the actual evidence though as you say - I can't imagine someone taking a case to court based on a noise reading no human as even looked at until the case.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:31 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are making everything increasingly harder to argue against driving and riding without number plates.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

They already have microphone systems hooked up to AI in the states that monitor for gunfire etc and send an alert to the fuzz if anything is picked up. Imagine it would be similar for this, rather than just "something's hit a set noise level", but I'm purely guessing. It'd still need someone to look at the actual evidence though as you say - I can't imagine someone taking a case to court based on a noise reading no human as even looked at until the case.

I would imagine a gunshot is significantly louder than any vehicle or any other ambient noise for that matter and certainly a distinctive noise that AI could easily recognise.

Which makes me think, those noise sensors would go beserk over the two week "firework madness" season we're approaching, then again over the NYE period. It's like the front line around here with the number of fireworks being launched.

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 21 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

The article bangs on about noise being a blight on peoples lives. Surely that would mean getting rid of all HGVs? Nope, tax fine the low hanging fruit first:

The village I live in has a couple of corners out of it, then the 60mph speed sign and a dead straight mile A road at which point everyone and his brother guns it (including me). You simply never hear an HGV, transit or anything road legal, it's always either the boy racers in their cars or motorbikes, usually the latter, and trust me, it's easy to tell the difference.

It's not a case of low hanging fruit, it's more of a case of people both drawing attention to themselves and making themselves the obvious targets. QED.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the targets of this camera will be the mot. Testing stations that have issued a pass on a vehicle that should have failed .. or fraudulent mot station.. as is the expression used by DSA .. it's been comming for some time .. and now it's almost here.. pay the fine or fit a quiet exhauste .. as per vehicle requirements..

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:32 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is being seen as the thin end of a wedge, when it might not be.

People taking the piss in urban areas is a nuisance. Technology like this could help, if the decision-making behind it is any good. As Easy-X has mentioned, the noise profile is important. A barryed-up fiesta varying the revs and doing backfires is a lot more annoying than the HGV or train making a constant loud noise.

The issue is that speed cameras could have gone a similar way, and all over the country various layers of government took the piss, so we had cameras on safe, fun country roads because they caught more people (and so made more money and better stats) than cameras in actual accident black spots.

There is no good solution here. You can ignore the problem, which doesn't improve anything. You can use technology which will follow a defined set of rules to decide if something is too loud, but there will be false positive and false negatives because technology is stupid. Or you can have it done by humans, generally police, which is flawed because humans are biased and police are bastards.

20 years ago, BCF was full of discussions about disabling speed cameras. These days, battery-powered angle grinders are cheap and scrap metal is worth a bit.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little annoying, the exhaust I bought for my MT09 was a Yamaha approved, warranty friendly unit, bought from and
installed at Fowlers, at the time it was the cheapest Akra full system for the MT09, a good 500 notes less than the next one
up in the range, admittedly it's clearly marked as not road legal but none the less I can see how some may be caught out by
thinking that what they bought was legit. It's coming off next week and the stock pipe going back on and I'm trading the 09 in
two days after that. The used prices for that particular system are akin to what I paid full price for it so I should get a few
quid back in my bin, I'm not sure you can get the race system anymore which may be why the residual value is so high.
It should go some way to pay for the titanium Akra silencer I've specced on the new bike which was a whopping 950 quid.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
This is being seen as the thin end of a wedge, when it might not be.

People taking the piss in urban areas is a nuisance. Technology like this could help, if the decision-making behind it is any good. As Easy-X has mentioned, the noise profile is important. A barryed-up fiesta varying the revs and doing backfires is a lot more annoying than the HGV or train making a constant loud noise.

The issue is that speed cameras could have gone a similar way, and all over the country various layers of government took the piss, so we had cameras on safe, fun country roads because they caught more people (and so made more money and better stats) than cameras in actual accident black spots.

There is no good solution here. You can ignore the problem, which doesn't improve anything. You can use technology which will follow a defined set of rules to decide if something is too loud, but there will be false positive and false negatives because technology is stupid. Or you can have it done by humans, generally police, which is flawed because humans are biased and police are bastards.

20 years ago, BCF was full of discussions about disabling speed cameras. These days, battery-powered angle grinders are cheap and scrap metal is worth a bit.

Speed camera guidance was that cameras would only be installed where a serious accident had occurred previously. A fatalality would be one reason.

That justified the cost to install, monitor and maintain.

The revenues from cameras probably profited operator companies and not local council or the government.
That makes it unlikely for them to be installed to collect money.

There are still a lot of people who think speeding is not a real problem.
It's irresponsible to believe that because one is a careful, considerate and skilled driver that everyone else is.

It is still possible to lose one's licence due to overspending.

The worst place to drive above the limit is in built-up areas. Especially for the safety of children.
Points on your licence for 5 years but murder using a car could be with you for life.

Facts. Hitting a child with at 30> MPH almost always causes death or very serious injury. 30MPH is still much to fast so 20 zones are installed where kids are likely to be using the road.

(MCN - Has had too many speeding certificates to post on here. Embarassed )

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Speed camera guidance was that cameras would only be installed where a serious accident had occurred previously. A fatalality would be one reason.

That justified the cost to install, monitor and maintain.

And yet there's still a shedload of speed cameras where there's been no accidents at all but it's easy pickings for revenue (eg bottom of long hills where the speed limit drops 20 mph just before the camera). Government's even used suicides off a bridge as a case for planting speed cameras on dual carriageways etc (Road fatality !!! stick up a camera !!).

What we need more of is red light cameras. There's a major roundabout my way where you can guarantee there's at least 2 cars going through every red. Half the other lights on major roads see at least 1 go through on each red as well but as always the fuzz CBA with chasing it cos it's more work than getting a sneaky reading on a radar.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No post exits.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3