Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noise detection cameras? Illegal exhausts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
No post exits.

fcukin Brexit ....

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
MCN wrote:

Speed camera guidance was that cameras would only be installed where a serious accident had occurred previously. A fatalality would be one reason.

That justified the cost to install, monitor and maintain.

And yet there's still a shedload of speed cameras where there's been no accidents at all but it's easy pickings for revenue (eg bottom of long hills where the speed limit drops 20 mph just before the camera). Government's even used suicides off a bridge as a case for planting speed cameras on dual carriageways etc (Road fatality !!! stick up a camera !!).

What we need more of is red light cameras. There's a major roundabout my way where you can guarantee there's at least 2 cars going through every red. Half the other lights on major roads see at least 1 go through on each red as well but as always the fuzz CBA with chasing it cos it's more work than getting a sneaky reading on a radar.

I always get that whiff of conspiracy when we discuss speed cameras and revenue.

I believe the revenue generated by captures are posted in official records.

I think a speeding NFP costs The accused <£200 and any insurance premium loading that 'may' be applied over the next few years.

The cost of admin for cameras and prosecution cost do not imply that speed cameras are a boon to toon cooncils for raising cash.

People overspeed but don't like getting caught overspeeding so blame the speed cameras for any pain they cause. Shocked

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras are always in places where it's easy to catch people speeding (although they massage the figures to make out they're accident hot-spots.) This in Britain where ppl are known for their cynicism Shocked

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bristolworld.com/news/bristol-a4174-ring-road-to-get-noise-detecting-camera-to-crack-down-on-reckless-drivers-3883906

For the Bristol/west country peeps, here's where it will be.

Quote:
If successful, the two-month trial could be rolled out nationwide by the Department for Transport, which said road noise contributed to health problems, such as heart attacks, strokes and dementia. It also said that the annual social cost of urban road noise, including lost productivity from sleep disturbance and health costs was estimated to be up to £10 billion

Are they for real? I'm surprised they never put it next to Fowlers.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:48 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it stops those cunts in cars with there pop bang exhausts driving past my place Im all for it,
there's a Mercedes and BMW dealers down the road from me and for some reason the cunts think it's fun to pop and bang down the road at all fucking hours
Don't mind the sound of bikes though except those poofters on Harleys Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
if it stops those cunts in cars with there pop bang exhausts driving past my place Im all for it,
there's a Mercedes and BMW dealers down the road from me and for some reason the cunts think it's fun to pop and bang down the road at all fucking hours
Don't mind the sound of bikes though except those poofters on Harleys Thumbs Up

Potatoes Potatoes Potatoes.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
If you look at your V5C you'll find a drive-by decibel field within it. If your vehicle is new enough, it'll have data in that field.

My guess is it'll be linked to that. Older vehicles will probably get ignored (and taken off the road by various other means, scrappage schemes, congestion charging, etc etc etc).

Checked my V5 and no mention of it. So I guess I am still OK to hoon around on my obnoxiously loud Kwak Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

After removing the fuel tank for the recent airbox mod I noticed a couple of stickers on the frame specifying dBs at various speeds. It's... ah... a bit louder now, hopefully nobody notices Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:53 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read about this in a few places. It seems it's next to impossible for the 'cameras' to know which vehicle is making the actual noise. They can guess, but guessing doesn't hold much legal weight. So, it's likely that this scheme will just result in you getting a letter telling you not to be such a naughty boy or girl, and to rectify the defective exhaust. I'd imagine (although I'm not 100% certain) that it would be OK just to screw this up and put it in the bin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
just to screw this up and put it in the bin.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/noise-camera-trials-to-detect-rowdy-drivers-coming-to-bradford-bristol-great-yarmouth-and-birmingham

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:23 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

Quote:
Rowdy road drivers beware – these new cameras will help the police clampdown on those who break the legal noise limits or use illegal modified exhausts to make excessive noise in our communities.

We’ll be working closely with the local authorities and police to share any findings, and I hope that this technology paves the way for quieter, peaceful streets across the country.

Sounds like they won't and can't target individuals without the help of an actual police person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i saw one of those once

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:24 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably tiggers all vehicle numbers visible on ANPR notices so that the filth can pull them if clearly too loud.

Which they could do anyway.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 08 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Sounds like they won't and can't target individuals without the help of an actual police person.

suspect it will be operated by police .. same as speed cameras.. even though it is a civilian operator .. working for a police force.. as well as the person who reviews the capture and sends out the nip... early days yet .. i`m sure there will be court challenges .. some successful .. procedures altered may be finer points of law changed .. but its "a rat trap" some are gonna get caught...

incidentally .. the secondary target will be the mot. testing stations .. some of which have been audited .. and had a warning or had their entitlement withdrawn ....

talking to my local tester .. he informs me the problem is CARS an the fitment of illegal exhausts .. bikes have just been included almost as collateral damage .. or a bonus .. depending on how you look at it ... Sad

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/almost-700-mot-testers-banned-over-last-two-years-for-improper-conduct/#:~:text=issuing%20fraudulent%20certificates-,Almost%20700%20MOT%20testers%20banned%20over%20last%20two%20years,conduct%20and%20issuing%20fraudulent%20certificates&text=Data%20from%20a%20recent%20Freedom,MOT%20testers%20in%20the%20UK.

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 09 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is very easy for an microphone array to detect very precise direction from which the sound comes from (run autocorrelation function to find a phase shift of interesting signals and triangulate from known spatial arrangement). It shouldn't be too hard to train an AI (or whatever) algorithm to figure out sound signatures of different types of vehicles...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 09 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere they developed the system on a race track and were able to correctly and consistently identify
the offending vehicle amongst a group of non offending vehicles passing the 'camera' in a cluster. There's usually a
lot of money spent on developing technology that can prosecute or financially punish. That said, Bristol's new
congestion zone cameras have been sending warnings all over the country to people who have never been to
Bristol in their lives due to the ANPRs inability to recognise the letter Y. Laughing Hopefully these sound monitors will be
woefully inadequate for busy roads and will fail miserably, it is after all only a trial.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:57 - 29 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
https://www.bristolworld.com/news/bristol-a4174-ring-road-to-get-noise-detecting-camera-to-crack-down-on-reckless-drivers-3883906

For the Bristol/west country peeps, here's where it will be.

Quote:
If successful, the two-month trial could be rolled out nationwide by the Department for Transport, which said road noise contributed to health problems, such as heart attacks, strokes and dementia. It also said that the annual social cost of urban road noise, including lost productivity from sleep disturbance and health costs was estimated to be up to £10 billion

Are they for real? I'm surprised they never put it next to Fowlers.

I wonder if they will start ripping out the millions of speed bumps they have spent millions on putting in. Making everyone slow down to go over the bump then accelerating away to the next one is a significant source of noise, as well as being a waste of fuel.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Sisko wrote:
The village I live in has a couple of corners out of it, then the 60mph speed sign and a dead straight mile A road at which point everyone and his brother guns it (including me). You simply never hear an HGV, transit or anything road legal, it's always either the boy racers in their cars or motorbikes, usually the latter, and trust me, it's easy to tell the difference.

It's not a case of low hanging fruit, it's more of a case of people both drawing attention to themselves and making themselves the obvious targets. QED.

Coming from someone with a stupidly loud exhaust (MT10 with straight through full system, no cat, short can without baffle) I have to agree, and then immediately backtrack and disagree!!!

I live in Yalding and can hear bikes and boy racers racing up and down the East Peckham bypass every night, which is 2 miles away as the crow flies.

Does it bother me? No. Kinda wish I was out there with them sometimes. I quite like listening to it sometimes. If I were 0.2 miles away from it instead of 2 miles though, might be a different story.

I think sometimes people just like to complain for the sake of complaining. It makes them feel better having something to whinge about. Everyone loves a moan, and bikers and boy racers are excellent targets.

Many out there are just trying to get noticed. But so what? Just put it down to a bellend in a barried up ricer with a crackle map (or me on my MT10) point and and laugh and get on with your day. What actual harm has it done to anyone?

Unless it's right outside your house, constant and all night, keeping you awake at night... I really don't see the big deal.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all a part of the worldwide environmental grift trying to push electric vehicle uptake IMO. Just one small cog in
a huge non stop machine trying to limit your freedoms and enjoyment of anything.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
i know what you mean about complaing for the sake of it i ues to live in a block of 4 masonets

two of the nabours was sound as a poundthe loop frouts below us would litraly bombard the councile woth rdicilus complaint

thinksd like we flused loo after taking a shit

best one was mrs broke her wist we spent all day at a and e got home a like 10pm

few days late we get a noise complain say I when out at about 10pm and came back 20mins later and walk around our place
ie i when down macdonals to get us both some food as we been at the hospital like 10hours

in the end i had a harley back then with drag pipes 3am i need fag ill take the harley them old oil coled engings need to warm up Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Sounds like one of my old next door neighbours to be honest! Many years ago though probably 15-20 years ago. That was a maisonette block as well! Wasn't in East Malling was it?!

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the same sort of antics my old neighbours used to get up to. Just invent the most imaginative and far fetched allegations.

One time I installed a new TV antenna on the chimney. Got accused of installing CCTV on the roof to spy on them!!!

Another time I got accused of following/stalking the bloke to work in London one time. He must have seen me driving up the A2 because I was in London that day. Unfortunately for him the firm I was working for at the time proved my GPS location I was in the West End at the time and date he said I was sat outside his workplace in the East End stalking him. He even got a colleague to lie for him to back up his statement.

Numerous other things in between and then when my ex and I parted ways, the day I moved out I cleared a load of junk out of the shed and had an aluminium ladder hanging out the back of my Mondeo Hatchback so I stuck a flashing amber beacon to the end of the ladder to make sure nobody drove into it while I was driving down the road. They called the police saying I was breaking into my own shed and stealing my own stuff and that I was using an "illegal" flashing light on my car.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just the most fucking bizarre allegations and for no reason whatsoever as I have no idea what we ever done to upset them, other than being a young family with a baby in the council flat next door. Thiers was owned/mortgaged and ours was council. So of course they had free reign to complain about us and make up all sorts of wild shit and had no repercussions on them when they were found to be lying but there was nothing we could do about it as we had nobody we could complain to about them.

I got my own back though.

Since leaving there I have paid many a visit back to my old neighbourhood in the middle of the night over the past 15-20 years. Probably over a dozen times since 2005. Stanley knives and brake fluid, as you say, come in dead handy!

Seems petty to hold a grudge for so many years, and that's not normally my stile, when I fall out with people (which is rare) I'm usually happy to draw a line under it and put it behind me. But I just genuinely have no idea why they would pick on and victimise a poor young couple with a baby like that, very vindictively, as we hadn't done anything wrong other than bloody live and breathe next door to them. I'm much more confident and worldly now but I was little more than a boy back then, 19 years old, wouldn't say boo to a goose or stand up for myself in a face-to-face confrontation or anything, very timid.

I should have my house paid off by the end of the year too (thank god! Been a long time coming but finally light at the end of the tunnel!). Looking forward to being mortgage free! Then I can start working on my credit card debt Laughing Laughing Laughing

Still have to put up with the council riffraff either side of me though Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3