Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Changing your own tyres?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Changing your own tyres? Reply with quote

I already have a tyre-balancing stand I've used when lacing up dirt-bike wheels so I was wondering whether one of these are any good:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134266804315

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pmsAAOSwECljPnco/s-l1600.jpg

Might also need to add some more tyre levers and rim protectors to my collection but £50~£60 is not too much of an outlay. If I were to get two tyres changed I'd have to take them off the bike, get them to a garage, pay a tenner or more to get 'em swapped and then after refitting might still have to do a static balance.

I done gazillions of bicycle tyre changes and a few dirt-bike ones but no tubeless so far Thinking

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:23 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do mine with a big spade and a pair of boots on. I'd rather have had one of these Laughing

I know plenty of people who do it at home, but for me I just can't be bothered these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's similar to what I use, except mine doesn't have the round base frame - just a long square bracket. It will work better than mine but you'll still have to put your foot on one end to hold it down to steady it. Fatter tyres will be hard work - modern sports bike rear tyres will take a bit of patience.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression when fitting tubeless tyres a fairly forceful blast of pressure is needed to get the bead to seat and seal more quickly than the air can escape; do you have that capability (compressor presumably)?

TBH, I think it's one of those things that unless you're doing in regularly (e.g. have a lot of bikes, do track days, extreme mileages or regularly ride around a screw factory) the faff of learning/relearning something you're not doing regularly, the potential to not get it perfect and the clutter of more kit would put me off.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one to fit my brothers xt660's tyres a few months ago and found it a right pain to do and still ended up scratching the rim a little. I definitely wont be doing it again on a road bike, it's just not worth the hassle to save £20.

I get the impression from videos that if you do it often then it's super easy, but I'd probably be doing a set every couple of years at most.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I get the impression when fitting tubeless tyres a fairly forceful blast of pressure is needed to get the bead to seat and seal more quickly than the air can escape; do you have that capability (compressor presumably)?

What's wrong with fire these days?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I get the impression when fitting tubeless tyres a fairly forceful blast of pressure is needed to get the bead to seat and seal more quickly than the air can escape;

Sort of, sometimes. To get the bead to seat evenly around the rim, you can unscrew the inner valve and use a normal compressor to bump it up to crazy pressure, while the tyre has dishwashing soap around it. I've done this, and by crazy pressure I mean 110 psi, while wearing a helmet and expecting it to explode. Lol

Not all tyres though. Many will seat without any special measures, without even removing the inner core of the valve.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks to that, for the mileage I do, I'd happily pay someone else to fit and more importantly, balance tyres.
I'm happy to remove the wheels myself and take them to the fitter though. Even I can manage that.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might only have the one bike but my father-in-law has... let's see now... 5 Laughing so it might see some use other than just my own bike. And yes, I do have access to a compressor.

I used to have a bike garage about three roads away but now it's a fair trek (to find someone half decent that didn't go kaput during Covid.)

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the tools and that thing to change my own tyres..............it was such a headache I said never again id rather pay, so sold the stuff and am happy to pay someone to change my tyres!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... alternatively my local car tyre place said they can do motorcycle tyres but wouldn't be able to balance them. I seem to recall static balancing being sufficient?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can devise various means of breaking the bead and removing them but without a good compressor
you have to resort to using 'the lynx effect' ie fire & assplosions etc to re seat them.
Then there's balancing, new valves etc

I just take them to a shop nowadays

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Changing your own tyres? Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I already have a tyre-balancing stand I've used when lacing up dirt-bike wheels so I was wondering whether one of these are any good:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134266804315

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pmsAAOSwECljPnco/s-l1600.jpg

Ain't that only a bead breaker? that's the 'easy' bit IME..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Changing your own tyres? Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I use one of those, it cost about 20 quid a few years ago fromAmazon. I used to use a wind down bead breaker, but this thing is quicker. I also use it to hold the wheel steady when I put the new tyre on.

I use 3 Buzetti tyre levers, these are really good with tubed tyres as they have never caused me to nip a tube due to the shape at one end. I also use the same levers on tubeless tyres. Compressor to seat the bead afterwards, although I once used a ratchet strap around the outside of the tyre and a 20p garage air line to do the same thing before I had my own compressor.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 19 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Changing your own tyres? Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Ain't that only a bead breaker? that's the 'easy' bit IME..

Definitely the easy bit. But I also use mine to press down the tyre wall and make a gap for the levers. Plus to squish the second bead of the new tyre onto the wheel.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always change my own tyres, tubes and tubless.

I even change my car tyres with just some spades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:

As someone who prizes his unblemished alloys, this post gives me anxiety... Laughing

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
blurredman wrote:

As someone who prizes his unblemished alloys, this post gives me anxiety... Laughing

I meant to say spoons. But yes, I do use a spade to get the tyre off the bead initially.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 21 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Fatter tyres will be hard work - modern sports bike rear tyres will take a bit of patience.

Yeah thats completely wrong.
The hardest tyres to do are tall thin tyres follow. The easiest tyres to do are 180+ on 17" rims.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 21 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a larger version of that bead breaker, need it for the bloody BMW tyres.
I mix between doing them myself and getting the tyre place to do it, depends on availability of good second hand tyres or new tyres.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:51 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Bhud wrote:
Fatter tyres will be hard work - modern sports bike rear tyres will take a bit of patience.

Yeah thats completely wrong.
The hardest tyres to do are tall thin tyres follow. The easiest tyres to do are 180+ on 17" rims.

OK, whatever.
But do you know the best thing about changing your own tyres (thin or fat)?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:12 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dabbled with changing my own tyres over the years. I've concluded that it isn't worth it from a cost perspective. Modern tyres last a good while and are expensive, the extra few quid for fitting and balancing by a pro is worth it.

I will still change my own on my old 250, but that's because I like to have a bike where I can personally do absolutely everything to it, the rims are bare alloy so I can't scratch any paint, and tyre shops don't tend to have what I want in stock.

For anything with vaguely modern radials tyres I go up to FWR in Kennington, where the fitted price is less than I can buy the tyres on their own for. It's also a shop that I trust, never had a bad experience with them.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
For anything with vaguely modern radials tyres I go up to FWR in Kennington, where the fitted price is less than I can buy the tyres on their own for. It's also a shop that I trust, never had a bad experience with them.

Well laid out website, all labour costs clearly advertised, reasonably priced... I shall take it into consideration, thank you sir Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given up already, then.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

OK, whatever.
But do you know the best thing about changing your own tyres (thin or fat)?

You get to climax in your sense of superiority over those who don't?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2