Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 22 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Given up already, then.

Discretion is the better part of valour Smile

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 09:23 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy enough to do your own tyres, breaking the bead is the hardest bit, but some tyre soap and a point force should get it to break quite easily.

Rim protectors are a must, otherwise you'll be scraping and denting your rims all over the place.

Like everything else, until you get the right technique it'll seem really difficult, but once you get it then it's simple.

As for getting the tyre to bead, you can use anything from a small plug in compressor to a proper high pressure one ... it all depends on whether or not the bead is pressing against the rim properly and making a seal (where the high pressure makes a difference) ... that and lube of some sort is a must.

The main reason for not doing it yourself ..... the stack of tyres you'll then have to get rid of ... I personally have around 15 tyres I need to get rid of Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big bike tyres are a piece of piss.

You want a hard tyre to change at home try one of those little scooter bastards.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre changing has been a subject of discussion for many years.As a poor Navy College student I could not afford to pay someone else to do what I considered to be relatively straightforward.I have always been of the opinion that if someone else can do it,then so can I....

I bought a tire changing kit from a friend who used to ride on many track days.The only item I bought new was a static wheel balancer and that was from what was then Hein Gericke and only £40 at the time.It works as it should but not as quickly as an electronic one.

Having calibrated such equipment when I worked for an engine diagnostic company for which wheel service kit was a sideline,I can state that there are many electronic wheel balance machines in garages that are not maintained correctly and are wildly out of calibration.So using a static kit is cheaper and just as accurate.

As has been stated by others,having tyre soap and the correct levers (I own the Michelin type) together with rim protectors,it can be useful,especially on a day when no places are open.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:09 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Big bike tyres are a piece of piss.

You want a hard tyre to change at home try one of those little scooter bastards.

I once put winter tyres on a scooter.

Never again.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they started making tubeless wheels for Vespa's I used to fit Michelin Pilots to them. They were impossible to do by hand and about a quarter to a third of the tyres ripped during fitting on the machine.

BanditsHigh wrote:
The main reason for not doing it yourself ..... the stack of tyres you'll then have to get rid of ... I personally have around 15 tyres I need to get rid of Sad

Yep. Disposed of 35 so far this year including 6 750x16 Landrover tyres.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 27 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't gonna happen Rolling Eyes

I did learn once, how to get a back wheel off, but that was in nineteen eleventy whatevs and I can only just about remember how to oil a chain by sticking a broom in the back end and spinning the wheel, I'd be hard pushed to even do that nowadays.

So yeah ... nah Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 28 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
I have always been of the opinion that if someone else can do it,then so can I....

For me it usually comes down to equipment rather than time. If it's a one-time thing like static wheel balancing I don't mind spending an hour to get it right. If it was my job I'd want all the conveniences.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2