Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Harry Dunn: Anne Sacoolas admits causing crash death

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Harry Dunn: Anne Sacoolas admits causing crash death Reply with quote

Quote:
Anne Sacoolas, 45, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey, via videolink, to causing the 19-year-old's death by careless driving.

Mr Dunn died following a collision outside a US military base in Northamptonshire in August 2019.

Judge Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb said she would be sentenced at the end of November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-63328168

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Harry Dunn: Anne Sacoolas admits causing crash death Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Quote:
Anne Sacoolas, 45, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey, via videolink, to causing the 19-year-old's death by careless driving.

Mr Dunn died following a collision outside a US military base in Northamptonshire in August 2019.

Judge Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb said she would be sentenced at the end of November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-63328168

Given the amount of evasion she should be slapped with the maximum sentence but my prediction is community service... to be done in the US.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many people would try their best to avoid punishment.

She was given an out by her spouse and she took it.

It probably is more embarrassing to do it this way than if she'd copped her whack at the time.

Could try her for using a mobile phone at a fuel pump.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:46 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge has insisted that she appear in person for sentencing.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Well good luck with that, your Honour Sad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 20 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Well good luck with that, your Honour Sad

Ofcourse I'll come over. Please supply first class tickets for me and my shyster.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:13 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A woman who killed a motorcyclist will not attend a sentencing hearing in person after advice from her employer, the United States government.

Anne Sacoolas, 45, admitted causing the death of Harry Dunn, 19, by careless driving via video-link at the Old Bailey in October.

She had been urged by judge Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb to return to the UK to face justice on Thursday.

But a renewed application for her to appear via video-link has been granted.

Sacoolas was driving on the wrong side of the road near RAF Croughton, a US air base in Northamptonshire, when she crashed her Volvo and killed the motorcyclist in August 2019.

She had diplomatic immunity asserted on her behalf by the US administration following the collision, and left the UK 19 days later.

The US government advised Sacoolas not to attend her sentencing hearing at the Old Bailey on Thursday.

Confirming a renewed application for her to appear via video-link had been granted, an Old Bailey spokesman said: "The application made jointly by the prosecution and defence for Mrs Sacoolas to participate and be sentenced by live link, has been renewed.

"The defence have supplied material in support of the application including evidence that Mrs Sacoolas' government employer has advised her not to attend in person.

"The judge has granted the application." "

Rolling Eyes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-63871733

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this being heard at the Old Bailey? I know she killed the lad but it was a horrible accident rather than a murder or other serious crime.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Why is this being heard at the Old Bailey? I know she killed the lad but it was a horrible accident rather than a murder or other serious crime.

Manslaughter at worst but it's because it has become such a high profile case.
She could have avoided most of this my being profoundly sorry and co-operative from the start - we can all understand how it happened with momentary autopilot by US citizen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complicated case.

Anne Sacoolas was initially co-operative with police but the next day the force was informed she had diplomatic immunity and could not be prosecuted.

That claim of diplomatic immunity was at the centre of the ensuing scandal as it was based on a loophole in the agreement for US diplomats based at RAF Croughton.

It was agreed in the 1990s that diplomats at the base would not get immunity for actions taken outside of their jobs, such as a car crash, but it did not explicitly include their families.

Because Anne Sacoolas was officially designated a spouse with the British government, US government lawyers argued the waiver did not apply to her and she could claim diplomatic immunity.

I used to have some sympathy for Anne Sacoolas, thinking it was a momentary lapse, maybe driving a LHD car (it was RHD) and newly-arrived in the UK (but she’d been here a few weeks already), and then she was ill-advised. However, there’s been a suggestion she was on the phone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I used to have some sympathy for Anne Sacoolas,

I never did, she fucked off to america claiming diplomatic immunity when she was not entitled to claim it. Someone lost their son because she had no idea what side of the road to drive on. If she cannot figure that out she should not have been driving in this country.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 months suspended for 12 months. What a joke.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Don't forget the 12 month driving ban also Confused

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

It's fucking disgusting. I swore at the TV. Sitting here fucking fuming at the sentence. This is not justice, its a joke.

There's a family out there that will never see their son or never see justice for their sons death while she can carry on with her family like nothing has happened.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
M.C wrote:

It's fucking disgusting. I swore at the TV. Sitting here fucking fuming at the sentence. This is not justice, its a joke.

There's a family out there that will never see their son or never see justice for their sons death while she can carry on with her family like nothing has happened.

I agree. I'm not sure what I was expecting/hoping for but a slap on the wrists wasn't it.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I agree. I'm not sure what I was expecting/hoping for but a slap on the wrists wasn't it.

It was clear when she refused to attend in person that a custodial sentence would never happen. But even knowing this, 8 months for a life lost is pathetic. It really is.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

She doesn't give a single solitary F. She's safe and sound in the good old USA whom we have a 'special' relationship with.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
She doesn't give a single solitary F. She's safe and sound in the good old USA whom we have a 'special' relationship with.

Couldnt agree more. The USA fart and we line up to sniff it. Yet when we need them to do the right thing they turn their back on us.

Seems the family are happy that justice has been done. But this is not justice. It's a joke.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I pretty much called it. What did you think would happen with a video-link only trial?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:54 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, everyone already knows that if you want to pretty much get away with killing somebody then all you've got to do is use a vehicle.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 10 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civil case for damages ahoy?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 10 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Civil case for damages ahoy?

They already did: https://news.sky.com/story/harry-dunns-parents-reach-resolution-with-teenagers-alleged-killer-in-damages-claim-12413625
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1