CB125S Blues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

tarmac man
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:58 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: CB125S Blues Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum and am looking for some tech advice please.
A few months ago my son purchased an early 70's Honda CB125s.
The kickstart broke and went loose, which entailed an expensive strip and rebuild. On installing the rebuilt engine yesterday, the kickstart broke yet again. he has sunk a lot of money into the bike, what would possibly cause this?
Would a CG125 engine also fit this bike....just to get him up and running?
Thanks in advance

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like assembly error or you overlooked something
so options are:
Go back in and sort it
Spend dosh on another old engine of unknown quality
Spend lotsa dosh on a rebuilt engine with warranty (if available)
Even a ropey old CG is a 'classic' nowadays so premium prices may apply sadly.
( motorcycles = cheap motoring my arse)
As I'm no purist I'd dump the 6V, points ignition, kick start only
stuff and upgrade it to a 12V, CDI, leccy start bike
and grab a good used chinese clone lump for it
156/157FMI types come to mind which I believe are Honda clones
but not 100% sure.

It's easy enough as long as you understand the electrical and
ignitions systems well enough to do the mods.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:53 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which part of the kickstart broke?

tarmac man
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:06 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Not sure which part/s broke, but apparently teeth were missing. Whole new gearbox assembly sourced and affected parts were replaced. Strange that the kickstart won't engage now.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:57 - 23 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case, I'll go with WD Forte in that it's probably been put together wrong.

Kickstart pawls are tricksy things at the best of times, you have to assemble springs under tension and jiggle things together into the correct place without small sprung pins/flaps pinging off into the corner of the workshop.

I'm not very familiar with how it's done on that exact model but I remember the one on a CB125T taking me 3 or 4 gos to get in correctly. I'd make my customary bet of 25p that he's assembled it in the wrong position so it's not engaging the stop at the end of travel and the starter quadrant has over-rotated. Might even be that the stop was broken/missing to begin with which caused the original problem. Or possibly he hasn't got the return spring tensioned and inserted correctly.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarmac man wrote:
Hi,
Not sure which part/s broke, but apparently teeth were missing. Whole new gearbox assembly sourced and affected parts were replaced. Strange that the kickstart won't engage now.

This 'not sure/apparently' suggests a shop did it not you.
that would be pretty expensive. but it should be subject to some kind of warranty.
Send the bugger back.

tarmac man
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:36 - 28 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
The bike went back to the dealer who stripped the gearbox again only to say the 'idler gear' had gone once again with teeth missing. Same issue as last time apparently. I assume that there is something misaligned and causing undue stress on the broken part??

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:55 - 28 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarmac man wrote:
Hi Guys,
The bike went back to the dealer who stripped the gearbox again only to say the 'idler gear' had gone once again with teeth missing. Same issue as last time apparently. I assume that there is something misaligned and causing undue stress on the broken part??

It's a pretty chunky gear that, I'd imagine it takes a fair bit of stripping. It's also located on the countershaft so you'd imagine the only real way for it to be misaligned is if the mainshaft or countershaft were bent or the crankcases were together on the piss which I think is unlikely.

I wonder if the kickstart ratchet is not working properly or has been assembled incorrectly so it's not ratcheting when the engine is turning.

Interestingly, CMSNL stock most of the gearbox componants for those motors, some of them are surprisingly cheap. a brand new idler gear is £59 and is one of the more expensive parts.

Might be worth checking if anything is missing on the CMSNL exploded diagrams.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb125s_model125/

tarmac man
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:06 - 30 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The dealer is puzzled but has kindly elected to strip and rebuild the motor for free (excluding the broken part) It is strange though, as the same thing has happened twice...suggestive of a gearbox fault other than the new part?? Anyway, thanks very much for your input...will let you know how we get on.
Cheers

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:08 - 30 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably it stripped whilst you were trying to start it? If you can push it along easily in neutral it's not a gearbox fault.

Always assuming it's not got a siezed engine....

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: T Reply with quote

Wow, clips and washers etc in the wrong place can/will cause gear problems.

Get your mech to check the CMSNL exploded views to make sure all the components are in the correct place.

A new gasket set would be needed also. No sealer ( that's NO SEALER ) used or needed on this engine particularly on the clutch cover which had very important oil ways !

Still don't know if this bike engine is the solid head or split head type. What year is the bike ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1