Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Passed my Mod2 on the 4th attempt! What I learnt.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Passed my Mod2 on the 4th attempt! What I learnt. Reply with quote

Passed my Mod2 on the 4th attempt! What I learnt.

Firstly, a few things about me -

Dyspraxic - It means that my co-ordination skills are poor. Not great when you are trying to co-ordinate all the things needed to ride a bike on road
Poor instant memory - it means that I struggle to remember things, not ideal when you are trying to learn a new skill in your 50s
Country boy - I'm from the sticks. I find driving a metal box in a city bad enough, but riding a bike in a city was a whole new level
Been riding off-road bikes since I was a nipper - it meant that the Mod1 was a piece of piss to me, but it meant that I had engrained so many bad habits (no shoulders checks, indicators etc)
Unlying anxiety - not ideal when you are putting yourself in a test environment

All in all, it meant that passing my test was a hard mountain to climb. But this is what I learnt along the way -

The examiner hasn't got it against you
In fact they probably won't even remember you. I had the same examiner all four tests. I had the exact same conversation with him each time (where I was from), so even though I failed previous tests with serious faults he didn't remember me.

It is unlikely the fault of the instructor that you failed *
Because I failed so many times I been out with many different fellow students. Some I could tell just weren't up to the required standards (yet) and failed. There was nothing that the instructors could have done about it. Others were good riders but failed because of test nerves. There was nothing that the instructors could have done about that either. I never saw one rider that 'fluked it', if they weren't good enough in training, they weren't good enough to pass.

* But having different instructors can sometimes help
My first instructor was a right horrible c**t https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=327770 and I dropped him after I failed the first test. But having said that, it is surprising what I learnt from him. The next school that I went to had two different instructors. A lot of the time they were both picking up the same errors, but on ocassions they might spot something different or explain something in a different way which helped me learn.

Learn from your mistakes
Mistakes are just lessons learnt (hopefully)

Practice makes perfect
If you are a car driver, practice 'the sequence' in your car and even talk it out loud (mirrors, indicators, shoulder check, turn off indicators) so that it is hammered into your brain
I even bought myself a 125 and started riding in around my local small town. It didn't fully prepare me for 'test conditions' in a city, but did help me practice.

Familarise yourself with the test routes (but don't over-familarise yourself)
Before the test, I actually spent a day driving around and looking at the test routes. Looking at the signs, road lay-out, potential issues. Google Earth was useful as well. This helped me with my anxiety more than anything, in that I knew where I was going (obviously you still ride to the situation at the time).

Buying your bike beforehand isn't always a good idea
Having that shiny thing on order / in your garage waiting for you to pass your test isn't always a good idea. For some it is the motivation that they need, for others it just gives that added pressure.

Anxiety
Everyone has a degree of test nerves, but it might be useful to learn some anxiety management techniques for the test day.

Hopefully this is some use to those that are taking their test for the first time and for those searching for answers for why they are failing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

chalkhills
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many congratulations and thanks for the advice. I'm doing mod 1 and Mod 2 in Nov/Dec so insights like this from recent "passers" is very welcome Very Happy
Enjoy your new bike!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:21 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Passed my Mod2 on the 4th attempt! What I learnt. Reply with quote

gwernybwch wrote:
P
Country boy - I'm from the sticks. I find driving a metal box in a city bad enough, but riding a bike in a city was a whole new level

Yeah? And I lived in a small village in Somerset. The first test I took was in Bath (awful traffic) and the second test was in bristol (even worse traffic).

I passed both.

And I think nothing of riding in London despite not living there since I was 13.

You can either drive/ride or not. Every test centre is in a town or city.

if your instructor never took to the place you are taking your test, they were a bit shit.

My son's instructor takes him to the town where he's taking his driving test, which is in a couple of weeks.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:43 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting your test!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:03 - 24 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Passed my Mod2 on the 4th attempt! What I learnt. Reply with quote

gwernybwch wrote:

Practice makes perfect
If you are a car driver, practice 'the sequence' in your car and even talk it out loud (mirrors, indicators, shoulder check, turn off indicators) so that it is hammered into your brain.

I can still hear my instructor in my head from 26 years ago, he just parrotted it in my ear at every junction. "Mirror, mirror, headcheck. Indicate, lifesaver, position, lifesaver, manouver. Mirror, mirror, headcheck. Cancel indicator."

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I stop I hear "left leg down, right leg up" in my head. I also automatically check my nearside mirror whenever
I pull away from standstill in a car, a remnant from my bus driving days driving and learning in an open platform RML bus.
You don't want to move off with some old biddy with one foot on the platform and one in the road, they were a bugger
to drive purely for that reason, there was always the chance of someone boarding or alighting in traffic with that kind of bus.
I saw a fair few people stack it trying to jump off my moving bus in my years driving an RML in Central London. Ain't gonna
lie, that always gave me a good old belly laugh up in the cab when someone underestimated how fast the bus was going
when they hopped off.

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:37 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: Passed my Mod2 on the 4th attempt! What I learnt. Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
gwernybwch wrote:
P

Every test centre is in a town or city.

if your instructor never took to the place you are taking your test, they were a bit shit.

We did plenty of riding in the test city.
The instructors said that you became a better rider (in the long-run) if you didn't do the test routes parrot fashion just to pass the test, so we would do different sections of test routes broken up with sections of other test routes. I would ride it as I saw the road in front of me, but found it all a bit disorientating.
I am a visual thinker and visual memoriser, so found it useful to slowly go around a whole route on my own. Almost like you would ride a trials section; slowly go through it, spot any potential hazards and then ride it.

I have ridden a scooter in Cities in South-East Asia and absolutely loved it, but never really enjoyed riding in a city in the UK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:38 - 25 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, As I said before, sometimes a change of instructor helps. Enjoy the new bike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations mate, well done for not giving up and keeping on trying to achieve what you wanted!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 08 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, over-familiarity might actually cause issues for some parts of the test. There's a section in the test now where they'll ask you to "follow the signs to X"; if you know the area very well, your brain might jump to "go to X" and you'll have your own way of getting there (rat-runs etc.. rather than the signed route).

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 10 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP - Congrats on your test.

ThunderGuts wrote:
Indeed, over-familiarity might actually cause issues for some parts of the test. There's a section in the test now where they'll ask you to "follow the signs to X"; if you know the area very well, your brain might jump to "go to X" and you'll have your own way of getting there (rat-runs etc.. rather than the signed route).

I did exactly that. They apparantly can't fail you for it, but think i picked up one minor despite going a totally different, but signposted, route to where he wanted to go.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:31 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done, esp for not giving up

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:36 - 24 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on passing your test. I did mine in a town I’m not familiar with but the instructors tried to familiarise us students with the most common route pinch points and difficult roundabouts/ junctions etc. they did say that there are 40+ routs so it’s impossible to do/ know them all.

I found having a few different instructors very useful as well, like you say they each might pick up different weaknesses in your riding.

I was not at all confident that I would get through but the instructor said I was fine, and I was.

Doing a test in your 50’s is a bit of a strange experience as it’s 30 or so years since last doing anything similar. The two examiners I had for M1 & M2 were both very good at trying to put me at my ease and were both very nice (and patient when I went the wrong way) people.

This has made me a better, more considerate, aware and patient, car driver. The standard of driving in this country would be much better if everyone learning to drive a car did a CBT.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 25 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

i never did understad the stupid texas two step leg thing

if a ton and a half or more hits you up the ass

it aint going to mater weather you got your foot on the rear brake or not
i got a spinal curviture so could get away with that crap on test

i alway just put right foot down unless im on something stupid heavy like a harley or gold wing

I agree, but I'm autistic and love rules and details. I just like being able to fully let go of the bars if I happen to be on
a slope when I come to a stop and have my foot take the strain. I should also say, when I did the debrief from my
advanced assessment ride, my instructor who was also owner of the riding school immediately offered me a job as an
instructor at his school. He took me along an 8 mile stretch of twisties looking for comfort braking and saw absolutely
none. Just the one minor error in a whole day of riding. To this day I wish I'd taken him up on his offer, if it wasn't
for how poorly I interact with others and my difficulties in communication when stressed I'd have said yes on the spot.
I can't really function without rules.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 25 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I should also say, when I did the debrief from my
advanced assessment ride, my instructor who was also owner of the riding school immediately offered me a job as an
instructor at his school.

Sorry, I can't read this without this...
https://i.postimg.cc/44S6BrBZ/matt-h-office.png

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:44 - 25 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the significance of the picture, but I'm guessing it's a keyboard warrior thing or something? Don't get
me wrong, I ride like a knob most of the time. What I was trying to say is that because I was being evaluated, I followed
the rules to the letter and gave him exactly what he wanted to see. I'm kind of wired that way. When nobody is looking I
make it up as I go along, but certain things are just ingrained in my head, the left leg down thing being one of them.
That's where it came from. I wasn't trying to big myself up here. It just came out a bit wrong but I was 10 pints down when
I typed it. I still wish I'd taken the job though, he sold the business a few years ago so that door has closed for me now.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 25 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not a keyboard warrior thing buddy, it's just the sentence about being an instructor is something this guy would have said.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8pgV74_Hw
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 25 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave. How in fuck was my post abusive? Please explain.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 25 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
No it's not a keyboard warrior thing buddy, it's just the sentence about being an instructor is something this guy would have said.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8pgV74_Hw

must admit i didnt get the reference either. ive never watched the office.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 26 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Dave. How in fuck was my post abusive? Please explain.

No abuse taken and no offence intended buddy. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2