Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Travel restrictions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Travel restrictions Reply with quote

Anybody heard about these zonal restrictions being introduced in Oxford and Canterbury, with fines for going outside of certain zones? What's that all about?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I mentioned it in another thread. What it's about is restricting freedoms whilst simultaneously raising revenue,
all in the name of the environment™.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11352725/Controversial-plans-stop-cars-travelling-neighbourhoods-Canterbury-press-ahead.html

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:09 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I care, I ride a bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yes, it's ok Nobby, it isn't about you Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Yes, I mentioned it in another thread. What it's about is restricting freedoms whilst simultaneously raising revenue,
all in the name of the environment™.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11352725/Controversial-plans-stop-cars-travelling-neighbourhoods-Canterbury-press-ahead.html

Doesn't the proposed system actually mean increasing distance travelled, and therefore increasing pollution?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Doesn't the proposed system actually mean increasing distance travelled, and therefore increasing pollution?

Under rules of post modern science you aren't allowed to point out anything as obviously logical as that Tut Tut
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 26 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

You don't expect them to have actually thought it through do you?

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I dont know if bikes are exempt from these particular charges, it looks just the sort of thing that will be implemented
in Bristol though, the way things are going here with congestion tax and sound cameras.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

You don't expect them to have actually thought it through do you?

The question is, who votes for these idiots? It's like Khan in London. You'd have to be mentally ill to vote for that guy.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

The question is, who votes for these idiots? It's like Khan in London. You'd have to be mentally ill to vote for that guy.

Oxford was the first to express derision for motorcyclists, as they started out with a policy announcing that "motorcyclists are a danger to themselves", and it was only with considerable kickback that they watered down what they intended to do.
Given that Cambridge appears to have the same attitude (when it came out with the latest proposals, it suggested - with no outside influence - an exemption for "car clubs", no doubt thinking of tourists, Inspector Morse's Jag, etc.), I think a bit of classist discrimination under the old town-and-gown thing might be behind it. The class system is a blight in this country. A real blight.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All university towns. But universities are a much wider range of people than they used to be, since Blair's idea to let any half-wit in, and all these useless qualifications (gender studies?! I mean, do me a favour!) to enable it.
The environmentalist scam isn't a class based thing either, all kinds are taken in by it.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
All university towns. But universities are a much wider range of people than they used to be, since Blair's idea to let any half-wit in, and all these useless qualifications (gender studies?! I mean, do me a favour!) to enable it.
The environmentalist scam isn't a class based thing either, all kinds are taken in by it.

Just from my own experiences (looooong time ago) the locals used to come onto our campus and pick sweet chestnuts in the autumn (there were lots of edible sweet chestnut trees) and give us the filthiest of looks, and generally give an impression of utter contempt. Yet it wasn't a public right of way - it was just tolerated by the university. In retrospect, they saw us as just stupid kids, and an irritation underfoot. Nevertheless, we saw that campus as our space - our little biosphere. And they were obviously ancient and stupid. So it's a 2-way thing.
I went back to university as a mature student for postgraduate studies in a different subject and everything seemed different, but not drastically. There were divisions between students and most tended to avoid and be mildly fearful of the gender studies and sociology and political science types (i.e. the normies studying profession-related degrees didn't end up in situations where they got "kettled", nor did they "occupy" anything or assail the VC).
I do think it's the same old problem though. Someone comes up with a "solution" without any input from people they regard as ignorant and backward, i.e. the ordinary local people... The solution is tested and trialed with reference to their peers, and becomes gospel because of a consensus reached between them. I'm not that familiar with Canterbury but, again, I suspect that actual road users weren't consulted for ideas for solutions, before they came up with these proposals. Because of the class system it's presented to the public in an adversarial manner - thesis then antithesis etc.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is the fact that lefties tend to look to create divisions in every way possible these days, but I don't think that's what these councils are up to. They have their own agenda, and they're hoping the environmentalist message will help them get it through. I suspect as has been noted that it is more about another (cynical) way of raising revenue.

The biggest problem in this country (and seemingly the world over) lately, is authorities who think the people are there for them, rather than the other way around, and this seems to be another part of that.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 07:42 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canterbury Council is predominantly tory. Strange that you think it's an idea driven by the left.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:51 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Canterbury Council is predominantly tory. Strange that you think it's an idea driven by the left.

Tory, Labour. Two cheeks of the same arse these days.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

The point is to export the pollution away from the centre of town and out to the ring-road. To some extent it's not an entirely mad idea, particulates and NOx don't disperse as quickly in the cities, but the execution... Should we make public transport so cheap and convenient that anyone taking a car would get laughed at by their peers? No! Let's just make another "the ends justify the means" edict.

Say you want more people to at least know about CPR. Do you pass a law so if anyone dies from a heart attack that everyone in the vicinity is charged as an accessory to murder by neglect or do you call in Vinny Jones and licence some Bee Gees?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Apart from the briefest of blips with Liz Truss, the Tories are so far to the left as to be on the horizon. The true lefties are beyond the horizon.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

The point is to export the pollution away from the centre of town and out to the ring-road. To some extent it's not an entirely mad idea, particulates and NOx don't disperse as quickly in the cities

Given the size of Canterbury, and the proximity of the "ring road", I suspect it would make little difference. And it would depend on something as capricious as wind direction. Overall of course it is still an increase in overall pollution added to the atmosphere, and therefore laughable.

Quote:
Say you want more people to at least know about CPR. Do you pass a law so if anyone dies from a heart attack that everyone in the vicinity is charged as an accessory to murder by neglect or do you call in Vinny Jones and licence some Bee Gees?

As is often the case, I have no idea what you're on about Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kuhnts in Edinburgh have been championing draconian rules since forever.
People from Glasgow hate driving into Edinburgh.

(Adjusted for gramatical accuracy People from Glasgow hate people from Edinburgh. Laughing )

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The kuhnts in Edinburgh have been championing draconian rules since forever.
People from Glasgow hate driving into Edinburgh.

(Adjusted for gramatical accuracy People from Glasgow hate people from Edinburgh. Laughing )

Glaswegian independence referendum? Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone the Scots don't hate?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 27 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
As is often the case, I have no idea what you're on about Laughing

If you want things to change (and those in power seem to think they have to change things to justify their existence) you could educate, facilitate or mandate.

Against drink-driving one might try to do all three: adverts and articles to try and change public opinion and make it less socially acceptable, stricter penalties if you're caught (along with the tech to do roadside checks) and non-alcoholic beer.* Still working on that last one Smile

These days the mandates - laws and edicts - seem to be the first resort rather than the last Sad

*It used to be if you had a "nominated driver" the landlord might offer them free soft drinks for the evening.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:30 - 28 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

Mel Gibson. Rolling Eyes

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:54 - 28 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

I hear the monks at Buckfast Abbey are quite popular.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:40 - 28 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3r53gzRq-k

Coincidentally this popped up on my feed last night. language NSFW

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 28 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3r53gzRq-k

Coincidentally this popped up on my feed last night. language NSFW

'If you're a do gooder your generally a cvnt anyway' Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2