Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DID X-ring failure (again!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: DID X-ring failure (again!) Reply with quote

When I was cleaning the chain on Saturday, usual routine (spray a bit of paraffin, then use a Muc-Off chain brush which is nice and soft, followed by a microfibre towel to clean it down afterwards, then lubed). Noticed on two links (not adjacent) a bit of rubber X-ring was poking out of the link, indicating they've torn/failed. This is the second time this has happened with the Crossrunner, but I figured the previous chain was neglected by the previous owner. This chain has been on for about 2.5 years and has only covered about 7k miles, most of which are fair weather.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a fact of life? I know I can just keep lubing it and it should be fine, but it's still a bit irritating when I hear stories of people having chains last for 20k miles or more.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: DID X-ring failure (again!) Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Am I doing something wrong, or is this a fact of life?

Is it a shitty cheapo chain?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: DID X-ring failure (again!) Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I know I can just keep lubing it and it should be fine, but it's still a bit irritating when I hear stories of people having chains last for 20k miles or more.
I have personally achieved over 50,000 miles chain/sprocket wear on my VFR, so I know it can be done. I lubed and wiped the chain with every fill-up, but did not use a brush. The riders getting high mileage out of their chains may not be as observant as you. I don't recall inspecting the individual links. Lube it regularly and keep riding. Worst case: your chain will develop a tight spot. DID makes quality chains. In all probability, you'll easily surpass 20,000 miles.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:24 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going for a reynolds o-ring chain next time on my VFR. I put one on the bullet this summer after the side plates on the swift x-ring it had fitted started splitting through the pin holes. They are seriously chunky, no fucking about chains and relatively inexpensive to-boot (like under £50).

Only available in "imperial" sizes. but 5/8" x 3/8 " = 530.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: DID X-ring failure (again!) Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
Am I doing something wrong, or is this a fact of life?

Misaligned wheel putting a bit of tension on the side of the chain?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Re: DID X-ring failure (again!) Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

DID?! Purposefully bought one of these on the basis of being good quality.

I deliberately use the Muc-Off chain brush because the bristles are nice and soft compared with some of the others on the market, but I might just resort to a cloth only in future.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:51 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop doing all of that stuff and fit a Scottoiler?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

^^This. I've managed a full year without even looking at the chain on my GSXR1100. More to life than cleaning and lubing chains every five minutes.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
Ste wrote:

^^This. I've managed a full year without even looking at the chain on my GSXR1100. More to life than cleaning and lubing chains every five minutes.

And that's why God created shaft drives. Cool

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I started again I'd probably go for a shafty, but I'm in too deep with the viffer now for it to change! I've looked at Scottoilers on and off over the years but they've always come across as being a bit faffy (getting the flow rate set correctly etc..) and given my bike is mostly a fair weather toy (I don't commute on it, the only time it experiences rough weather is if I'm touring, again that's pretty infrequent, once or maybe at most twice a year).

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:57 - 31 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

By rights, the O rings between links should be nitrile ( compatible with oils), maybe there are some oils/ lubricants are more aggressive to the the rubber.
Even on some of the machines I work with, rubber components are not as flexible as when new even after a short period of time.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 01 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the paraffin is rotting the x rings WD40 dose even if the makers say it should not

Me, I a scottoiler fan and use silkolean chain cleaner spray never had a problem but seen several on customers' bikes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:06 - 01 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above: Paraffin rots some seal materials.

I once used paraffin to clean some engine o-rings. The next day they'd turned into a sticky mess.

Do not put paraffin on chains.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 01 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the failed x ring on the soft link?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 01 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
As above: Paraffin rots some seal materials.

I once used paraffin to clean some engine o-rings. The next day they'd turned into a sticky mess.

Do not put paraffin on chains.

I wonder what they were made of.. afaik Nitrile and Viton are both fine with paraffin.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 01 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit a New Chain (possibly sprockets) and a Scotoiler.

End of thread.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:48 - 01 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I wonder what they were made of.. afaik Nitrile and Viton are both fine with paraffin.

Dunno, but I've been leery of putting paraffin on O-rings (or any kind of rubbery type seal) ever since.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:28 - 01 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
If I started again I'd probably go for a shafty, but I'm in too deep with the viffer now for it to change! I've looked at Scottoilers on and off over the years but they've always come across as being a bit faffy (getting the flow rate set correctly etc..) and given my bike is mostly a fair weather toy (I don't commute on it, the only time it experiences rough weather is if I'm touring, again that's pretty infrequent, once or maybe at most twice a year).

They are a pain in the arse on a single side swingarm VFR, the sprocket bolts are very near the edge of the sprocket and keep pulling the delivery pipe out.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:07 - 01 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much like a sprint but it's doable. It's all about the positioning of the delivery pipe on the swing arm so that it's as flat as possible and doesn't move with wind pressure.

If you can't achieve that, a shorter delivery pipe so it's on the sproket much higher and basically slung onto the chain.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 05 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the same situation on the newish DID X ring chain on my Exup-R.I do not use a brush to clean it,or parafin.It has only occurred on one link,which was not the soft link.The back wheel is in alignment and the sprockets are both Renthal.

https://i.postimg.cc/FKXwvnHt/20150730-190118.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Vk20knxP/20150730-164026.jpg

I have the same specification chain on my 5JJ-R1 and my 3XW-FJ,which are both doing okay.

I would have to look up in my records as to how many miles the Exup-R and 5JJ-R1 have done since fitting the new chains and sprockets,but I do know that the 3XW-FJ chain,again with Renthal front sprocket but a steel rear,has only done around 3,000 miles since fitting back in 2019,just before Mrs.Fizzer and I rode down to Italy,in all weathers.

Always have a 'Plan B'

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 05 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: DID X-ring failure (again!) Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

DID?! Purposefully bought one of these on the basis of being good quality.

I deliberately use the Muc-Off chain brush because the bristles are nice and soft compared with some of the others on the market, but I might just resort to a cloth only in future.

DID are faked, heavily. Avoid ebay and unknown sellers.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: DID X-ring failure (again!) Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
When I was cleaning the chain on Saturday, usual routine (spray a bit of paraffin, then use a Muc-Off chain brush which is nice and soft, followed by a microfibre towel to clean it down afterwards, then lubed). Noticed on two links (not adjacent) a bit of rubber X-ring was poking out of the link, indicating they've torn/failed. This is the second time this has happened with the Crossrunner, but I figured the previous chain was neglected by the previous owner. This chain has been on for about 2.5 years and has only covered about 7k miles, most of which are fair weather.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a fact of life? I know I can just keep lubing it and it should be fine, but it's still a bit irritating when I hear stories of people having chains last for 20k miles or more.

A bit unrelated but I've noticed something weird about my DID X-Ring chains. The first one I got was put on the little 125cc and it looks pretty fucking pristine. The second one I got on my 650cc and it needs cleaned way more often, literally every week otherwise it gets fucking crusty. I don't do anything different in terms of cleaning or lubricating them but the one on the 650 needs way more attention. I put about the same amount of miles on both bikes and put them both under rain covers so I don't know why there's such a big difference between them (especially as the one on the 125cc is almost a year older).

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 07 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: DID X-ring failure (again!) Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Noted, but this was bought from chainsandsprockets so I assumed reputable?!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 09 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: DID X-ring failure (again!) Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Noted, but this was bought from chainsandsprockets so I assumed reputable?!

I had an obvious fake, but bought from a reputable retailer. To be fair they sorted it immediately (so I'm not naming them, happy they actually pulled them from sale immediately), but shows that you get some that slip through the cracks. It was the prrinting on the box that screamed fake, and the chain itself backed it up, with the DID impression on the links being all wonky.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 09 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: DID X-ring failure (again!) Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
A bit unrelated but I've noticed something weird about my DID X-Ring chains. The first one I got was put on the little 125cc and it looks pretty fucking pristine. The second one I got on my 650cc and it needs cleaned way more often, literally every week otherwise it gets fucking crusty.

I'd say this is more likely to be that your 650 is, for whatever reason, spraying more water and road crap onto the chain, than a difference in the chain itself. Also, if your chain is instantly manky again after you've cleaned it, it could be worth checking your front sprocket cover isn't full of road dirt and old chain lube. Mine definitely is.

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I had an obvious fake, but bought from a reputable retailer.

I got sold fake EBC Clutch plates a couple of months ago on ebay. My own fault really, the seller didn't post a pic of the actual item, and when they arrived there was no packaging, and the plates themselves were crude, of varying colour and non-EBC lettering. It wasn't a hard spot. Despite the seller claiming they were "totally legit" he processed my return, and I bought genuine ones from someone who posted a pic of the actual item. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2