Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Battery or a battery charger

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:28 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: New Battery or a battery charger Reply with quote

I haven't used the bike for a month and to my surprise, it started the first time when I took it to work the other day, ..........18 miles round trip to and from work and it didnt miss a beat.

Parked up on the drive, switched the engine off, opened the garden gate and tried to start the bike again to ride it in but now it refused to start......(I have checked the engine stop/kill Very Happy )

The only thing that I can think of is, I used the heated grips on my way back from work so that must have drained the battery which probably didn't have enough juice left in it.

question is, a new battery or a new charger? if a new charger, which one would you recommend?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:03 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery may or may not be in good order. You can't find out without charging it and seeing if it holds a charge/testing the electrolyte/load testing it.

So charger. And multimeter.

Ideally get one with a "rescue" function for badly discharged batteries and a maintainance function so next time you park the bike up for a month or more, you can hook it up to the charger and keep it in good condition.

Any old multimeter is fine for most things you'd wat it for on a motorbike.

You may need a battery anyway but you also need a charger.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charger is cheaper than a new battery, so get that first. If that doesn't work, new battery. If you're going any length of time without using the bike, it should be on a maintenance charger anyway so it's good to have one lying around.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated grips don't use much energy. The alternator should be easily capable of topping up/charging the battery after starting the engine.
Running ignition and the headlamp with lots of energy to spare.
It may be a charging fault on the bike.
Enough energy to start, run 18 miles, start again for the return. But not enough left for a 3rd start.

As suggested, multimeter, charger and battery.
Colder weather is tougher on batteries too. They don't like things too cold as it upsets the chemistry.
And cold engines are not as easy to turn.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: New Battery or a battery charger Reply with quote

Abaaba wrote:
Parked up on the drive, switched the engine off, opened the garden gate and tried to start the bike again to ride it in but now it refused to start......(I have checked the engine stop/kill Very Happy

Was the engine turning over?
Have you checked the fuses?
Did the lights work?
Will it jump start from another vehicle’s battery?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:45 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply

a bit of update

I got a multimeter and a battery charger - checked the battery voltage and it was 12.22, put the charger on for a couple of hours and it starts the first time again..........I will keep monitoring the voltage and see if it drops now and then

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:46 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the voltage, start it and then check the voltage whilst it's running and tell us the two values.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is probably wrong with charging system from what happened on your first ride after lay-up.
Reg/rectifier is a common fail point as due to needing cooling breeze they are exposed on bikes. But luckily not outrageous to replace and fairly easy DIY.
You can tell if it is charging without the meter.
At slow tickover hold something in front of the headlight and blip throttle gently.
If charge system is good the light will visibly increase slightly as revs go up. This is a good quick check if looking to buy a bike too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:51 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Check the voltage, start it and then check the voltage whilst it's running and tell us the two values.

I have done this today and it was 12.66 before starting, checked after warming up a bit and the voltage has gone up to 13.9 something whilst the bike was running......I think it even hit the 14.00 mark at 1 point (unless the multimeter is playing up)

Went for a good 1-hour ride and tested after the ride, bike off, it was12.60 - bike running, 13.13 and increasing.. is that normal?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:09 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the charging system is supposed to kick out more than 12 volts. What I asked you to do is the standard check for a charging system. It passed. Anything up to about 14.5-15 volts when revved is about right. No increase at all means there is no charging happening at all and anything above that then the regulator is probably fecked.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the alternator can put 14v to the battery but the battery voltage drops when the bike is not running then the battery may be bad.
But. Check all the battery connections are clean. No corrosion and secure.
An old battery can prevent charging when the chemistry gets messed up.
It's not rocket surgery but needs a kind of systematic approach to diagnostics.

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:16 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
If the alternator can put 14v to the battery but the battery voltage drops when the bike is not running then the battery may be bad.
But. Check all the battery connections are clean. No corrosion and secure.
An old battery can prevent charging when the chemistry gets messed up.
It's not rocket surgery but needs a kind of systematic approach to diagnostics.

so far the battery looks to be working fine but I am assuming it won't be long before I have to get all new dancing one.

Any particular brands and/or online shops to get bike batteries?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""I used the heated grips on my way back from work so that must have drained the battery""
Q, do these heated grips work with the engine switched off?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:43 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
"""I used the heated grips on my way back from work so that must have drained the battery""

Shush, now. The grown ups are talking.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:

Shush, now. The grown ups are talking.

I do not believe it Shocked , you are mellowing at last?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:17 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your on 'heated grips' , which use much less power than a headlight, whilst the rest of us are checking the charging system works.

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:44 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

Heated grips only work when the motor is running........I mentioned it because that is the only extra thing I did on my ride back home

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:03 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem.is the battery. It.could well be.fine and it simply just isn't used enough but if its a daily driver I'd just replace it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1