Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Am I getting scammed?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:22 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Am I getting scammed? Reply with quote

Trying to sell my bike, this comes along on FB marketplace.

Am I being scammed or just paranoid? I suppose the general rule of thumb is that if you have to ask, you probably are getting scammed.

Most of the scams I've seen seem to be instant "Hello I work oil rig I want to buy for daughter for Christmas full asking price I send friend in van all good"

This guy seems more invested and vaguely like he knows bikes, his FB profile has pics going back a few years of him with smaller CC bikes.

Biggest red flag to me is that one of his first messages says he'd like to come view the bike, then once we've agreed on a price and ask when he wants to come view it, suddenly he's in Northern Ireland and will send someone to collect. I've had a quick look on Biketrader in N. Ireland and there's only like 2 Tracer 900s for sale in the country, and both more than £1k above what Im asking for mine so potentially a legit buyer looking for a bargain?

Alarm bells are ringing to me. Am I being scammed, or is there any way I can make this work if he is legit? Escrow service? Driver bringing cash in hand? Has anyone else done anything like this?

https://i.imgur.com/TbHnqXf.png

Link to full size screenshot if it doesnt display well - https://i.imgur.com/TbHnqXf.png

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly why I part-exed my MT09. Could not be hassled with the scammers, piss takers and tyre kickers.
Could I have got more for it privately? Probably yes, but wanted a quick hassle free transaction.

I don't like the sound of this bloke though, but that's the untrusting raycist in me.

Last edited by grr666 on 12:37 - 11 Nov 2022; edited 1 time in total

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the driver gives you the cash then what's the problem?
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:

Will he wait while you examine every single note? That's over 300 £20 notes, may take a while.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:42 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
mattsprattuk wrote:

Will he wait while you examine every single note? That's over 300 £20 notes, may take a while.

Yeah this is my thoughts, I wouldn't know a fake note if I saw one to be honest, especially as you can buy "genuine cashier bank training notes, undetectable from real notes!" from Wish etc. for pennies. Or if some weird Irish money turns up, its hard enough getting places to accept Scottish notes.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to part ex or else I probably would, sadly its gotta go.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him it's bank transfer before you let the bike go. Nothing else.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:51 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can bank transfers be reversed? Can he claim it never arrived and do a chargeback or anything like that?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Can bank transfers be reversed? Can he claim it never arrived and do a chargeback or anything like that?

Not as far as I know. It's how just about every vehicle sale is done now. If it was my bike I would be happy to let the bike go if I had the money in my bank account. The way I look at it is even if he came in person it would still be cash or a bank transfer and personally I'd rather have the bank transfer.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:15 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

I'm going with them being a genuine buyer as the messages aren't anything like the standard scams and they asked if you'd budge on the price which is something scammers never bother with.

Perhaps the biggest sign to indicate that they're not a scammer is that they haven't offered to pay by cheque where the cheque is for more than the value of the bike.

The fake cheque scam is the usual scam and the courier scam is a close second but none of the ground work has been laid for either of those.

Bank transfers are fine as long as the person sending you the money is the account holder. If the online banking log in details have been stolen from somewhere then any bank transfer will be reversed when the account holder notices it and reports it to the bank.

If you've ever read messages from scammers then you'll have seen that they all use the word 'kindly' which your buyer doesn't therefore this guy is genuine.

Rain

Wub

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

He sounds like a pest

dont bother
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:06 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Tell him it's bank transfer before you let the bike go. Nothing else.

Bank transfers can be reversed if the money is stolen in the first place.

Run away. The whole "I'm on an oil rig" is such a classic scam line, I'd just ignore and block.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds scammy.

There are tons of Yamaha Tracer 900s on sale in the UK, many from dealerships who can do all that courier stuff for him too, and for a similar price to what he's offering you.

So you have to ask, why does he need yours specifically?

Also yes, this is a giant red flag:

Quote:
Biggest red flag to me is that one of his first messages says he'd like to come view the bike, then once we've agreed on a price and ask when he wants to come view it, suddenly he's in Northern Ireland

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:37 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very 50/50 then! Shocked

Not replied since his last message, and hes sent me a link to a (apparently well known) N. Ireland bike mover company saying hes gotten a quote from them, seems a little more legit than Vlad's Van disappearing goods service. Was thinking of giving them a ring and seeing if they have had an enquiry matching that, as that seems more effort than most scammers would put in rather than just giving me a random google motorbike movers result and hoping I dont bother checking.

If I were to accept his offer of a deposit via bank transfer, and ask for a photo of his driving licence, and the name matches the bank transfer name, would that be a pretty good safety net and prove he's genuine?

I cant imagine a scammer sending a bank transfer deposit, as theres nothing stopping me from keeping his cash and blocking him.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:43 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:

If I were to accept his offer of a deposit via bank transfer, and ask for a photo of his driving licence, and the name matches the bank transfer name, would that be a pretty good safety net and prove he's genuine?

I cant imagine a scammer sending a bank transfer deposit, as theres nothing stopping me from keeping his cash and blocking him.

Don't do it. Millions of people seem to work on the rigs if you believe these requests!

What are the chances you are the one legit seller who gets an actual genuine inquiry from a person who works on the rigs AND works in NI? If the money is laundered, stolen or doesn't exist in the first place, it can be transferred into your account and then clawed back by the banks. A bank transfer is not foolproof.

https://blog.chopperexchange.com/motorcycle-tips/motorcycle-buying-tips/top-6-motorcycle-buying-and-selling-scams/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:47 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not mentioned the rigs, that was just me saying thats how all the typical obvious scam messages Ive had selling cars/bikes in the past have been like.

My mate sold his old Tiger 800 in a similar way, sold on eBay classifieds, buyer didn't come to see it in person, paid by bank transfer, courier collected it in a van. He reckons its legit. But that's easy to say when its not your bike/money at risk! Razz And that was in the same country at least, not going overseas

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may be using your bike sale to move arms for the Real IRA. Now that there may be a settlement with boarders in sight.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 12 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Ok from tone of messages, not sure I'd let them take it but if the money is paid into your account online he is taking bigger chance than you. I imagine NI has a permanent shortage of used bikes compared to most of mainland so not surprising he is looking to buy from the rest of UK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:12 - 12 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some facebook stalking, found his LinkedIn profile, photos match his FB profile, jobs match, he's apparently a project manager at a Belfast tech company. Photo on FB from a few years ago matches up, instagram too is selfies with a few bikes going back years,so Im starting to think he's at least a real person not a fake account, and that seems like a lot more effort than most FB marketplace scammers would put in.

I'm still very unsure about this, but I am also somewhat desperate for the money and had zero other interest in the bike, so desperation is tugging on me. Im leaning towards taking the risk if he can show photo ID and it matches up with bank details etc.

Just wait for my next post to be "help my bike has been stolen in a scam" Embarassed Any idea if bike insurance covers this kind of thing? Is being scammed out of your bike the same as it being stolen? Or will they laugh at me until I hang up? Razz

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 12 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to keep quiet about the circumstances and just say it's vanished overnight. I doubt it will keep the same
identity once stolen, assuming it's not just broken up for parts. get ready to delete all your posts here though or maybe get
a mod to nuke this thread.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 12 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a bank transfer and the name matches I'd say go for it. I've sold an item to someone in N.I. before over Facebook so it's at least possible it could be genuine Smile

Have you had any interest in the bike other than this one?

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:45 - 12 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Have you had any interest in the bike other than this one?

Nothing at all, not even a nibble. I appreciate its a terrible time to be trying to sell a bike, winter, coming up to Christmas, and the start of whats claiming to be the worst recession and cost of living crisis ever.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:49 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened next?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late on show her. That looks so legit I'd not even have thought about it.. perhaps I'm more naive than you lot.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:20 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What happened next?

He wanted to send a £500 deposit til he could sort out shipping it to NI. I asked for some proof of ID to show it was his bank account and he sent me a photo of him holding his passport, a closeup of the passport to show it matched, bank statement and council tax bill to show the names and addresses matched up. Which all seemed pretty legit to me, so I accepted his offer and he sent the deposit. Now just trying to find a date that works for a Belfast based bike mover company to collect it as they only do one mainland collection a week

Quote:
Late on show her. That looks so legit I'd not even have thought about it.. perhaps I'm more naive than you lot.

I agree, if I'd had these messages from someone local I wouldnt have thought twice... its purely the fact hes trying to buy it remotely from NI without even seeing it that threw me. I cant even comprehend doing that, no way would I spend thousands on something Id never seen relying purely on the integrity of a FB marketplace seller to not be scamming me or sending an absolute dog.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Now just trying to find a date that works for a Belfast based bike mover company to collect it as they only do one mainland collection a week

Pass the popcorn
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2