BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Am I getting scammed?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Abaaba
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:10 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert on this as I haev only ever bought a single bike but it was VIA Facebook market place......

to re-assure the seller, I had a cash with a receipt from the bank and also offered the option for bacs transfer (it was all done in front of his house, no round-the-corner deal shenanigans)

He opted for a bank transfer, keys handed after the money hit his bank account, after bank fraud detection stopped it and spent an hour calling the bank to release the fund so if he is offering a transfer, do it that way and ONLY hand in keys after money is in your account.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:44 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, thankfully didnt have that issue.

Todays the day, money is in my account all cleared, he paid it in 3 parts, £500 deposit a week ago, £3k once the movers confirmed a booking to collect it a few days ago, and the rest today as the bike mover company is picking it up this afternoon.

Guess Ill find out in the next few days if I've been scammed or this was all legit albeit an unusual way of selling it. The fact he put £3500 in my account a few days ago without any kind of assurance makes me feel happy this is legit. Or I could be naively desperate to sell and fallen into a very expensive hard life lesson.

inb4 its all charged back in a few days. Shocked

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick, do several smaller transfers to different banks and societies! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:19 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised that a dealer would accept that much in cash because of money laudering laws.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:59 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Surprised that a dealer would accept that much in cash because of money laudering laws.

When I worked at Honda, they only accepted up to £1000 in notes. The rest was transfer/finance stuff, very strict in dealerships as they typically have no cash handling capability. New guy smells like rolled up troll poop..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Read some of his other posts. Bullshit billy alert Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:05 - 01 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, a lot of it's posts strike me as bollocks. Badly taught AI maybe.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
the real truth the banks moan having to count it when they bank it

They have machines for that. Cash on a large scale is annoying because from the time you slap it down on the dealer's desk to the point it ends up in their bank account it has to pass through many hands and if just one note goes missing it's a massive headache. It's as if bank notes have some magically glue that only sticks to light fingers Laughing

For your Tesco and Sainsbury it costs them more to handle cash than the cut Visa and Mastercard take Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
dave001 wrote:
the real truth the banks moan having to count it when they bank it

They have machines for that. Cash on a large scale is annoying because from the time you slap it down on the dealer's desk to the point it ends up in their bank account it has to pass through many hands and if just one note goes missing it's a massive headache. It's as if bank notes have some magically glue that only sticks to light fingers Laughing

For your Tesco and Sainsbury it costs them more to handle cash than the cut Visa and Mastercard take Shocked

Really? I ask because small buisnesses hate card charges. Why would big ones be different?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The last car I bought I paid the difference between the PX in cash, about 8k. That was with a large franchised dealer.

That was knocking on 3 years ago, so things maybe different now.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:53 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Really? I ask because small buisnesses hate card charges. Why would big ones be different?

Small businesses (like fish and chip shops round here...) tend to want cash, which just screams dodgy these days.

It costs more in the long run to count, drop, bank, deal with the occasional "theft" on the way to the bank - than it does to accept card.

Even my luthier accepts card and he is a 1 man band with a business bank account that could just deposit it, but the cost of going to the bank is more than the tiny % it costs to accept my card.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:32 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Scale.

Fred's "Plaice Your Bets" fish & chip shop (the one next to the bookies) does a grand or so in an evening. Of that cash he can pay a good chunk of his suppliers CoD. Some ends up in a shoebox under the bed and only enough gets paid into the bank to pay the gas & electric.

Tesco, what can they actually do with the cash? Nothing but pack it away securely and wait for an armoured van and security guards to turn up. The the concept of "Cash back" at the till came from the shops trying to get rid of cash so there's less to ship out.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Small businesses (like fish and chip shops round here...) tend to want cash, which just screams dodgy these days.

not really. im a small business, and i much prefer cash. i have to pay a percentage on every electronic payment which is costing me around 3 weeks wages a year. Crying or Very sad

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
im a small business, and i much prefer cash.

Depends on many factors though, doesn't it, eg availability of somewhere to pay it in now that so many small towns have no bank branches on the high street (unless it's going under the mattress and being used for cash-only transactions). I certainly know of one small business owner on the fringes of my social circle who has always done his utmost to keep as much of his income on the quiet, who is really stressing these days because he has so much under his mattress with no way to spend it anything like as fast as he earns it. And conversely I've used other (rather more kosher!) businesses who actively discourage payment by cash, because they then have the hassle of visiting a bank (with none nearby) to pay it in.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

not really. im a small business, and i much prefer cash. i have to pay a percentage on every electronic payment which is costing me around 3 weeks wages a year. Crying or Very sad

Without the option for e-payment you'd lose a lot more than 3 weeks wages through lost customers, no?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Without the option for e-payment you'd lose a lot more than 3 weeks wages through lost customers, no?

most likely. especially with the younger generations. people below their mid thirties dont seem to use cash any more.
its a shame, because i used to enjoy picking up the pennies that theyd throw away Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local up until 2019 when it changed hands had a cash only policy. I asked the landlord why he had it when even just when I was in there I'd seen a good number of people leave because he wouldn't take card and they had no cash. He said that on single pint transactions if it was paid by card depending on the drink he would either lose pennies or make pennies and he would have to put his prices up drastically to cover the costs.

When the new people came in, after the pub was revamped and they opened with card payents prices were 50p ish more a drink. Whether that was soley due to card costs I have no idea but it did sort of back up the old landlords comments.

Obviously now, since covid, if you dont take cards you are pretty fucked in just about any buisness.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last pub I went to: contactless payments for the pool table Shocked

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Last pub I went to: contactless payments for the pool table Shocked

When I was 18 I worked or a great Landlord in my local. If a stranger came to use the pool table and asked for the light on he would be told it was automatic - and came on when you put the money on...

..the switch was behind teh bar so we'd watch until the money went in and flicked the switch..

They would then often ask when the light went out.. 'Oh that happens when when black goes down..' same procedure..

What fun we had.. Laughing

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:

inb4 its all charged back in a few days. Shocked

OP will surely deliver.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2