BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fastener name

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:24 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Fastener name Reply with quote

I'm looking for an M8 nut that doesn't have a hex on it, just a round cross section on the outside and a socket head on the end. Ideally with a 10 or 11mm OD.

It's for fitting to a particularly tight plate manifold where the hex of the nuts interferes with the jubilee clip.

A bit like a sex bolt but without the flange at the top and ideally a tad thicker... Although I suppose I could always grind the flange off a sex bolt.

I suppose a hex on the top would also work providing it has a plain section (I thought these were called collar nuts, but apparently not).

Just don't know what they're called and if you don't know what they're called, you can't buy them.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only think of splined drive nuts?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much stud is exposed?

Maybe a sleeve nut or a turned down coupling nut?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to picture what you mean - something like this, but with one end closed, with a socket for an Allen key in?

https://i.accu.co.uk/360/_APC/HTBCN-A2/0_14.png?profile=square

If so, could you use one of these "cylindrical connector nuts" with a socket head bolt in one end?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Last edited by The Shaggy D.A. on 21:42 - 11 Nov 2022; edited 1 time in total

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about something like this:-

https://www.efc-intl.com/viewitems/hex-head/phillips-truss-female-hex-head-sex-bolts

Edit: I'm aware that the above aren't metric.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 11 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Fastener name Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'm looking for an M8 nut that doesn't have a hex on it, just a round cross section on the outside and a socket head on the end. Ideally with a 10 or 11mm OD.

It's for fitting to a particularly tight plate manifold where the hex of the nuts interferes with the jubilee clip.

A bit like a sex bolt but without the flange at the top and ideally a tad thicker... Although I suppose I could always grind the flange off a sex bolt.

I suppose a hex on the top would also work providing it has a plain section (I thought these were called collar nuts, but apparently not).

Just don't know what they're called and if you don't know what they're called, you can't buy them.

https://yambits.co.uk/xs1100-exhaust-nut-p-103094.html

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:01 - 12 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Fastener name Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

That looks like the very thing, It's not exactly what I was thinking of but is probably better in many ways because the knurling would avoid a lot of fiddling getting it tightened down.

I've currently got JIS M8s on there with the 12mm hex but I even have to rotate them so a flat is facing the middle then fenagle the circlip into the gap between the flat and the manifold.

I found a pictue of what I'm looking for. The origin of the picture calls them Allen round nuts, but that doesn't seem like it's a thing.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:49 - 12 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original items looked pretty much like that, the one above is a reproduction.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 12 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common thing seems to be "sleeve nuts" for furniture:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224389409851

Quick pass through the lathe?

Also try "barrel nuts" and "cylindrical nuts" optionally with "hex socket head" through Google Images and see if anything jumps out at you Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:55 - 12 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The most common thing seems to be "sleeve nuts" for furniture:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224389409851

Quick pass through the lathe?

Also try "barrel nuts" and "cylindrical nuts" optionally with "hex socket head" through Google Images and see if anything jumps out at you Smile

Aye, I've tried using those before and they are not very strong. Tend to split.

The ones Pete. posted should do the trick assuming they are M8. Expensive but I only need 2.

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 15:14 - 12 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just weld it Wink

Or one of these, with the flange ground off ... https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/products/m8-x-16mm-joint-connector-nut-steel-bright-zinc-plated

Then notices someone has already posted that type above Brick Wall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:27 - 12 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurrs to me that I could get one of the ones The Shaggy D.A. posted and braze an allen head screw into one end.

I've had some bad luck with those things though, they aren't made of very good metal on the whole because they're designed to join two bits of shitty allthread but I'm sure there will be a supplier who is making them out of something better.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:16 - 13 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have something that will do the job. Can you post or PM a sketch of exactly what you need

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:10 - 13 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZebraDriver wrote:
I think I have something that will do the job. Can you post or PM a sketch of exactly what you need

Basically, I have a plate manifold for my carb. The hole-centres are such that the mounting holes are very close to the carb mounting. If you look at the picture below, those are M8 nuts with a 12mm hex and even with the flats facing the centre, the nut is almost touching the manifold and fouls the jubilee clip. It makes it very awkward to fit the carb plus the jubilee clip. I actually had to kind of dent the jubilee clip next to the nut to get it all in there and have it nearly done up all the way before fitting the carb. which takes more force than I like to use.

So I was looking for a nut which has a smaller outside diameter. Those allen headed sleeve nuts I posed earlier would seem to be ideal. They would need to have al least 14mm of internal thread and be no longer overall than 20mm so they don't foul the carb body.

I'd use flanged button-head allen screws but the other side of those studs isn't metric.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:22 - 13 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you were folks. It turns out they actually make M8 nuts with an 11mm hex. I found an aviation supplier who does them. I thought 12mm was the working minimum. That extra 0.5mm clearance is all I need.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 13 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you swap the stud for a regular m8 screw?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:29 - 13 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Could you swap the stud for a regular m8 screw?

They're special studs. It's a cycle thread going into the head and M8 sticking out.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 13 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cou;ld have made you a BSC-M6 or M7 stud that would have taken care of it properly. Aslo, what diameter is the jubilee clip? I have some very thin band ones, yours for free if one will fit.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 13 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bodge: drop the washer and use a nylok? might just clear the jubilee clip.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:17 - 13 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. I think these 11mm hex nuts will do the trick and they are aircraft grade for fitting plate manifolds to rotax aero engines so will be pretty robust.

The trouble with a nylok is the points of a standard 13mm hex foul the manifold. In fact the 12mm ones do too but not as badly so you can set a flat facing the rubber.

A thinner hose clamp would probably help but equally, it's a big thumper with a heavy carb so I want as much support as I can get, the standard ones are notorious for splitting the manifold or spitting the carb off (admittedly, with an Indian manifold, this is a proper Sudco one). I've got the back of the carb supported with a bracket round the air filter too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1