Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

musk tho

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
He's done a trump and is suggesting that oy people.who pay for the service get to take.part in future votes.

I saw that comment echoed on Mastodon. He did say that he'd abide by the result of the initial poll though - reckon he'll stick to his word?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
He's done a trump and is suggesting that oy people.who pay for the service get to take.part in future votes.

It's a private company which he owns. He can do what he likes with it. Let's face it, it was never going to be a great loss if it went under, probably a good thing in fact. Wouldn't it be great if we never had to hear the word "Twitter" again?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:24 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh I have no interest in twitter as a media entity but to correct you he has a controlling interest in it. 49% of it is owned by other people who are most likely weeping at.just how.much the share value has plummeted.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:24 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Future votes on company policy.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/16CA3/production/_128074339_twittertweetbluetick.png.webp

What's unreasonable about that?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
He did say that he'd abide by the result of the initial poll though - reckon he'll stick to his word?

Sure, he’ll just install a mini-me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half a trillion in 90 days

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FkcHG3eXoAAXEI7?format=jpg&name=large
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:32 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
49% of it is owned by other people

Citation?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

That's the obvious reason for the poll. His backers will be putting pressure on him to step down and quite rightly too. And of course he'll be looking for an ego massaging, face saving out. The narcissistic, sociopathic twat.

I'm not sure that Twitter can ever recover from Musk's mismanagement - a lot of the communities on there, especially the professional communities, have already said enough's enough and moved across to other socials. I can't see them moving back any time soon.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Half a trillion in 90 days.

Does he care though? He’s having fun winding up the smug, opinionated, censorial lefties.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Should I step down as head of Twitter? I will abide by the results of this poll.

57.5% Yes
42.5% No

17,502,391 votes

It's good that as an adult he still likes to play.

Yes it's his ball and he can take it home when he wants, and he can change his guidelines when he chooses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I'm not sure that Twitter can ever recover from Musk's mismanagement

Let's hope not. If it folds, he'll have done the world a favour.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
Half a trillion in 90 days.

Does he care though? He’s having fun winding up the smug, opinionated, censorial lefties.

Lefties/Righties both wronguns.

What is a right what is a left...The extremes of each are destructive.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

I'm not sure that Twitter can ever recover from Musk's mismanagement

Let's hope not. If it folds, he'll have done the world a favour.

It will be a shame for the people that are employed by the business. Twitter itself is a shitshow.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
For anyone who's missed it - and given the MSM won't mention it that's a fair chance - apparently pre-Musk Twitter was in the pay of the FBI. The agency dedicated almost a hundred staff to squashing dissent on social media. Not bad for a country with free speech explicitly written into its constitution.

There's a word for state and enterprise working hand in glove to oppress the people... hmm... I think it begins with 'f' Thinking

There's a highly detailed and comprehensive professional debunk of the FBI involvement here:

https://www.techdirt.com/2022/12/20/no-the-fbi-is-not-paying-twitter-to-censor/

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know how this place is a sh!tshow but can also be a mine of helpful information and also where real friendships and relationships are formed.
That's Tw@tter too and I wouldn't want this place to go nor the crudhole that can be social media.

For me it's a place where I can post pics of my dogs and follow bands/musicians I'm into.
A DJ has played some of my stuff on their shows....which was lovely.

The generosity and help is sickening at times but I'm not complaining.

There's some decent people here, and on there. Not just causing grief for a hollow win.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Y'know how this place is a sh!tshow but can also be a mine of helpful information and also where real friendships and relationships are formed.
That's Tw@tter too and I wouldn't want this place to go nor the crudhole that can be social media.

For me it's a place where I can post pics of my dogs and follow bands/musicians I'm into.
A DJ has played some of my stuff on their shows....which was lovely.

The generosity and help is sickening at times but I'm not complaining.

There's some decent people here, and on there. Not just causing grief for a hollow win.

And that's the shame of it. There are communities of fundamentally decent people dependent on it and exchanging mutually useful information without undue drama or hyperbole. Unfortunately all of that actual useful value is vastly overshadowed by the political extremists, trolls, and sociopaths that, due to the shite algorithms driving the timeline, are highly visible and get all of the attention. Having a sociopath-in chief in-charge as well...

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I'm currently well into my synths and during recent years there's been some one person in a shed synth makers making some inspirational stuff. Tw@tter has been invaluable for under the radar music freaks.
Musk now asking his staff to block links to Mastadon and I'm seeing some crap on the timeline that wasn't there before...sure filtering out the wheat from the chaff has always been the way of things but when it starts swinging too Left or Right I'll be looking elsewhere.

It's easy to see why users aren't that keen on him...imagine if Korn wrote some code that stopped Ste from posting images [pause ] or a link to another bike forum.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:18 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, twitter was never actually worth anything. There was just a circle-jerk of "investors" who convinced themselves it was.

It went from a circle jerk to a wank.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:22 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Are you seriously surprised that an agency like the FBI involves itself with social media? Better not look too closely at GCHQ then. Laughing

Back on topic, Musk has been suspiciously quiet since his "should I step down" poll bit him on the arse. Claims of voting interference incoming in 3... 2... 1... Laughing

There's no pretention in this country we have freedom of speech. Besides, the FBI were censoring Joe Shmoe with 3 followers for putting out jokes like "Tell your Democrat friends to remember to vote on Wednesday!" (when polling was on the Tuesday, kicked off of Twitter for a Dad joke.) Hardly a good use of public money considering they overlooked all the kiddie pr0n and terrorists.

On the Elon stepping down thing there are various theories. TBF it was inevitable; right the ship, install new captain. There's also the pressure from Tesla shareholders and finally the fanbois (Musketeers?) reckon he just set up the poll to lure out the bots. He might re-run it as checkmark-only for the "lookee at all dem bots!" but then it would invalidate his previous polls.

Last edited by Easy-X on 00:36 - 21 Dec 2022; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
There's a highly detailed and comprehensive professional debunk of the FBI involvement here:

A reinterpretation of Musk's extravagant phrasing but hardly a debunk. It's not been reprinted on CNN and they'd lap that stuff up. Still seems a bit odd CNN continue to talk up Mastodon, I don't think they really know what it is Thinking

Nice that Twitter got paid for any legal stuff, court orders etc. Blood out of a stone wrestling expenses out of UK police forces Sad

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

A reinterpretation of Musk's extravagant phrasing but hardly a debunk. It's not been reprinted on CNN and they'd lap that stuff up. Still seems a bit odd CNN continue to talk up Mastodon, I don't think they really know what it is Thinking

Nice that Twitter got paid for any legal stuff, court orders etc. Blood out of a stone wrestling expenses out of UK police forces Sad

Did you actually read the article?

It's a comprehensive debunk of the claims made by Musk who even managed, by some unknown means, to drag an actual reputable journalist along with it. Mike Masnick is a highly respected source.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:16 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see someone setting out with an agenda to push, just like any other journalist really Rolling Eyes

For example:

Quote:
That is not a demand [of a missive from the FBI.] There is no coercion associated with the email, and it certainly appears that Twitter frequently rejected these flags from the US government. Twitter’s most recent transparency report lists all of the “legal demands” the company received for content removals in the US, and its compliance rate is 40.6%. In other words, it complied with well under half of any demands for data removal from the government.

Disingenuous much? If I flagged some tweets I wouldn't hold my breath anything would get done. Type it up on official government letter paper? No added weight at all, no sir, says Magic Mike. And yes, Twitter did reject some of these request but no mention of the sort of people who were "let off." (I mean, who'd miss one of the Baldwin brothers anyway, there are so many of them.)

"Literally no scandal here" sorry but that's opinion, not fact. A "respected" journalist should know the difference.

That being said I'll not go as far as thinking the Elongated Musket has covered himself in glory with all this shite; loads of toys being launched out of prams on the back of Space X rockets.

Ultimately Musk has shown himself to represent chaos.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:05 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I will resign as CEO as soon as I find someone foolish enough to take the job! After that, I will just run the software & servers teams."

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1605372724800393216

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Back on topic, Musk has been suspiciously quiet since his "should I step down" poll bit him on the arse. Claims of voting interference incoming in 3... 2... 1... Laughing

I'm toying with a quite different view on it. The voter interference could actually be on the part of Musk.

Howling Terror wrote:
57.5% Yes
42.5% No

Does anyone here believe these figures? I'm not trying to be shockingly cynical, I just wondered if - because so much money is at stake - Musk et al have had to engineer a situation whereby he appears to be doing what twitter users have decided. The actual reality could be quite different, but if he looks like what he might actually be - weak, fickle, mistaken, etc. etc. - his stock will lose even more money. By seeming to throw it open to twitter users he can appear strong, decisive, magnanimous, democratic even.

Easy-X wrote:
fanbois (Musketeers?) reckon he just set up the poll to lure out the bots. He might re-run it as checkmark-only for the "lookee at all dem bots!" but then it would invalidate his previous polls.

If this happens it would rule out the above "theory", I think.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
...can appear strong, decisive, magnanimous, democratic even.

Liz Truss would like a word Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6