Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tesco and the crash helmet stupidity is back

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Tesco and the crash helmet stupidity is back Reply with quote

My mini rant against Tesco.

So I dropped into my local Tesco Express last night, a store I go in most mornings where all the staff know me and one has even recognised me from a facebook post as he knows my little sister. Grabbed a basket and security told me to take my crash helmet off and I said no.
So security grabbed the manager who I've known since the site opened who asked me to take my crash helmet off and I said no.

I asked the manager what I was supposed to do with my £600 Arai while shopping, he suggested putting it in the basket to which I said no, it could get damaged. I was then allowed to continue shopping.

All the while there were still people in hats scarves and masks in the store.

Over the last 2 years we have been required to hide our faces, staff in shops have been glad that we are wearing crash helmets and theft rates haven't noticeably increased, in this time I have been in this particular store while 3 people have robbed it and each time they weren't wearing crash helmets.

The constant line that crash helmets are a security risk is getting old, as we have seen over the last few years neither crash helmets or people covering their faces are a security risk, people as a whole are the security risk.

Rant over

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the scum around here are representative of the rest of the country, those wearing motorcycle helmets are likely to be bona fide shoppers, it's the "bally lads" you need to be watching out for.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
If the scum around here are representative of the rest of the country, those wearing motorcycle helmets are likely to be bona fide shoppers, it's the "bally lads" you need to be watching out for.

Yes, the smackheads here don't wear crash helmets either.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been asked once, when I dropped into Lidl on Old Kent Road on specials day to buy a particular tool. Security guard said "Can you remove your helmet?". I also replied "No", then he walked off.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall at the start of The World's Least Deadly Pandemic™ the sliding doors of my local Tesco had a "wear a mask" sign on one and "no motorcycle helmets" on the other Rolling Eyes

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Tesco and the crash helmet stupidity is back Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
The constant line that crash helmets are a security risk is getting old, as we have seen over the last few years neither crash helmets or people covering their faces are a security risk, people as a whole are the security risk.

Rant over

Just remove the helmet and look upon it as a courtesy. In the case of fuel I use pay-at-pump where possible so I can keep it on, but these days I think life’s too short to get upset over this sort of thing.

Also, re. £600 helmet, I do like an Arai but their prices have become silly. The graphics are poor compared to a few years ago too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Tesco and the crash helmet stupidity is back Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
sickpup wrote:

Rant over

Just remove the helmet and look upon it as a courtesy. In the case of fuel I use pay-at-pump where possible so I can keep it on, but these days I think life’s too short to get upset over this sort of thing.

Also, re. £600 helmet, I do like an Arai but their prices have become silly. The graphics are poor compared to a few years ago too.

My lid is flip-front and it was flipped up. That should be courtesy enough.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncharacteristically for me, I've found myself filling my motorcycle up a few times over the weekend getting my
thirsty bitch's running in miles done. Three times in 2 days, 1 at Sainsbury near Arnos Vale and two
different BP filling Stations, one in Wick and one in Chippenham. For all 3 fills I had a Black HTC Carbon with a double
dark visor installed. Limo black and dark smoke pinlock. For all three I've remained sat on the bike (visor up admittedly)
while I filled up before going inside to pay with my lid still on. No issue at all at any of them. Pumps authorised immediately.
I must have honest eyes. I know I'm not a high mileage rider, but I can't say I've ever been asked to remove my lid
It's tatty old vans they should be looking out for, with a filler bypass, some black insulating tape altering a couple of
letters on the registration plate and an oil drum in the back, a favourite trick of our traveller community.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 15 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Uncharacteristically for me, I've found myself filling my motorcycle up a few times over the weekend getting my
thirsty bitch's running in miles done. Three times in 2 days, 1 at Sainsbury near Arnos Vale and two
different BP filling Stations, one in Wick and one in Chippenham. For all 3 fills I had a Black HTC Carbon with a double
dark visor installed. Limo black and dark smoke pinlock. For all three I've remained sat on the bike (visor up admittedly)
while I filled up before going inside to pay with my lid still on. No issue at all at any of them. Pumps authorised immediately.
I must have honest eyes. I know I'm not a high mileage rider, but I can't say I've ever been asked to remove my lid
It's tatty old vans they should be looking out for, with a filler bypass, some black insulating tape altering a couple of
letters on the registration plate and an oil drum in the back, a favourite trick of our traveller community.

Now now. No stereotyping our pikey friends please, You'll have sickpup calling you a racist.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Tesco and the crash helmet stupidity is back Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
My mini rant against Tesco.

So I dropped into my local Tesco Express last night, a store I go in most mornings where all the staff know me and one has even recognised me from a facebook post as he knows my little sister. Grabbed a basket and security told me to take my crash helmet off and I said no.
So security grabbed the manager who I've known since the site opened who asked me to take my crash helmet off and I said no.

I asked the manager what I was supposed to do with my £600 Arai while shopping, he suggested putting it in the basket to which I said no, it could get damaged. I was then allowed to continue shopping.

All the while there were still people in hats scarves and masks in the store.

Over the last 2 years we have been required to hide our faces, staff in shops have been glad that we are wearing crash helmets and theft rates haven't noticeably increased, in this time I have been in this particular store while 3 people have robbed it and each time they weren't wearing crash helmets.

Rant over

Tesco are Natzy bastirts.
I reported potholes in the car Park right outside their door of a Tesco extra bigggg store.
The reply, Nothing to do with us mate.
Kunts....

More on OP's topic:

The security risk at petrol stations is something. But most significant 'Bilking' is Eastern Block and that type in Sprinter/Transit Vans and 25 litre drums.
That more of an issue than 3-4 gal in a bike.
If they don't turn the pump on for me or try to humiliate me by bawling at me through the PA I pretend to continue to take fuel. Close the tank, put the pump hose back and ride off. Mark that shithole as a no return site.
Confuses the pump jockey that I looked to be filling my tank but their meter wasn't counting too. Cool

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Tesco and the crash helmet stupidity is back Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The security risk at petrol stations is something. But most significant 'Bilking' is Eastern Block and that type in Sprinter/Transit Vans and 25 litre drums.
That more of an issue than 3-4 gal in a bike.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/XIMAnUvc1wRrHEqp506sIg--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTcyMDtjZj13ZWJw/https://s.yimg.com/os/creatr-uploaded-images/2022-07/c530fd80-fa07-11ec-bfff-82c1a741ec4d

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/fuel-theft-arrest-hertfordshire-kent-police-131441620.html

No racism here, it's quite common and I first heard of it years ago from one of two Met Police I'm acquainted with.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Tesco and the crash helmet stupidity is back Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
No racism here, it's quite common and I first heard of it years ago from one of two Met Police I'm acquainted with.

Worked in a dead dino juice station briefly 25+ years ago, and bilking's from Transits was a thing then, probably 3/4 of all the theft/drive off training was on how oto spot them. I jut place the pump on the floor and don't go back, at all.

Shell is a pretty dafe bet. Policy is on the door usually. Expensive as all fuck though, at least locally.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Tesco and the crash helmet stupidity is back Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I jut place the pump on the floor and don't go back, at all.

I kinda want someone to tell me to take my lid off just so I can do this. Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:10 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in Saltford always used to have a 'remove your helmet' sign. Might have changed in the last 10 years though....

Adame
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never happened to me in any Tescos in London, I guess too many riders and deliveries and people to be fussed about that.

But recently on my ride to Devon I was approached about that in one the Tescos in a city and mind you I wear a flip up. I kinda get it if you have a full face, but flip up?? Literally security and manager walked up to me inside the shop with all seriousness like as If I walked with Ak47, wtf lol

I just laughed at the guy, went to Sainsburys next door and had no problem

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adame wrote:
But recently on my ride to Devon I was approached about that in one the Tescos in a city and mind you I wear a flip up. I kinda get it if you have a full face, but flip up??

Happened to me at Passport Control at Portsmouth a few weeks ago. Not the time to get stroppy, obvs, but... really?

Adame
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Adame wrote:
But recently on my ride to Devon I was approached about that in one the Tescos in a city and mind you I wear a flip up. I kinda get it if you have a full face, but flip up??

Happened to me at Passport Control at Portsmouth a few weeks ago. Not the time to get stroppy, obvs, but... really?

I mean for passport control, governmental buildings, and everywhere of any actual importance I think it is given to remove your helmet, any helmet IMO, but popping in to buy a meal deal? lol

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:46 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need to remove my helmet to get on government premises. I do have to show my pass though.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:53 - 19 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jobsworth security at tesco also tried this with me. I simply say no and walk off from them. Not had a problem since.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 20 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adame wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I mean for passport control, governmental buildings, and everywhere of any actual importance I think it is given to remove your helmet, any helmet IMO

Well I've worn a flip-front through passport control many times, both sides of the channel, and that was the only time they've asked. I was eyeball-to-eyeball with the guy, my face fully in view - why? Thinking

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adame wrote:
Never happened to me in any Tescos in London, I guess too many riders and deliveries and people to be fussed about that.

This was in Central London.
Had a chat with the morning security guard and he told me the Tesco head office has sent new signs to all Tesco's across the UK and dictated no crash helmets but masks and hats were still fine.

Thing is if you are a criminal you are hardly not going to rob a place because it says no crash helmets. If this worked then a no shop lifting sign would work.

As it is a week later even the staff are ignoring the sign and crash helmets are now fine again.
Last time I was in there during the day there was a queue of 4 delivery drivers at the tills getting their lunch so this may have ended already.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 21 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adame wrote:

I just laughed at the guy, went to Sainsburys next door and had no problem

I used to live in a location whereby there were 4 supermarket petrol stations within a mile.

After buying my petrol at the counter the guy said "next time, will you take your helmet off?". I suppose at least he didn't force me to this time before paying.

But the response was simply "next time, i'll go to Tesco" (up the road). And I never ever did go back to fill up at that Morrisons. Despite the thread starting content, I was never contested at Tesco.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:57 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
It just a power trip most of them have such pathetic jobs they get off on annoying pepole weather it was whers your face nappy now its back to the helmet thing

need to pick a hearing aid up for hospital other day litrally a 30secon in and out job and daft bat demanding i stuff a paper nappy on my face karen cant get it in her thick head im already wearing a full face helmet

I find beliteling them stops it

You'll last long.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3