Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tesco and the crash helmet stupidity is back

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:48 - 24 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

fuck me adam needs to lay off the coffee and chill
adam spark up a fat one and chill it will be good for your blood presure

I'm incredibly calm. So calm I do not feel the need to rage at minimum wage workers. Wink

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 09 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
Laughing
He boasts about loudly talking on his phone in public with the loudspeaker on. I mean, the guy deserves a slap for that alone. Let alone throwing a little tantrum when someone asks him to switch his phone off while filling up.

Ye ragin' then mate aye? Laughing

adam277 wrote:
I get mad at people treating people with disrespect for no good reason.

Aye, guess ye were then Laughing

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 11 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
I like how mad bikers get over this lol.

Well that was constructive.

adam277 wrote:
Like it or not a lot of people use Motorcycle helmets to commit crimes. So, the logic is simple. No motorcycle helmet on no entry.

Are you sure about a lot of people using motorcycle helmets to commit crime?

Now to the logic which I don't think you understand as well as you think you do.
The thing about criminals is they are criminals. Do you really think criminals think 'damn, no crash helmets in this shop I better rob somewhere else' or are they criminals who break rules and wouldn't care about it?

Many if not most shop lifting criminals don't wear crash helmets, perhaps if Tesco or any other shop banned people not wearing crash helmets shoplifting would drop

On a personal note there is a Morrisons just near Newport South Wales with a Tesco next door, both have petrol stations.
About 3 years ago on New Years Eve I stopped with the other half there for petrol, both on marked blood bikes.
Parked bikes close to each other and tried to fill up at the self serve pump, pump not switched on and the attendant screaming at us through the glass. I walked into the shop taking my crash helmet off to be screamed at further about taking crash helmets off and asked why. Attendant screamed that it was in their license requirements, well licenses have to be displayed so I asked where it said that knowing it is never a requirement so he refused to sell us petrol, called the site manager, store security and the Police. We left and went next door to the Tesco.
Now the Tesco were happy to serve us with crash helmets on but I went inside taking mine off and had a chat with the 2 chaps inside relaying what had just happened.
In the 5 years since opening they had only been bilked once by a motorcycle that they knew of for £3 something. They were also hit by vehicles, cars and vans with extra fuel storage every week or so losing £100 a time, the limit on the pump and these people never wore motorcycle crash helmets.

adam277 wrote:
Yea, sure you can point out the logical fallacies

There are so many it would be rude not to.

adam277 wrote:
DO NOT HAVE TO SHOP THERE.

I don't, not been back since.

adam277 wrote:
Maybe at some point criminals will get more clever and use Burkas. Then we can all get into some religious debate about the morality of asking Muslim women to remove their burkas in the name of safety.

It's already happened, been used by a convicted terrorist to escape, story is here. Was further used by another suspected terrorist, story is here. Note I have deliberately used Guardian articles as I wouldn't want to be accused of being right wing. Wink

adam277 wrote:
It is also nothing to do with a 'power trip' At many of these stores it is either corporate or store policy to remove helmets. I can assure you the girl/guy being paid min wage does not want to get into an argument over it.

Many peoples experience says otherwise.

adam277 wrote:
Anyone who argues this with a checkout assistant or petrol station clerk is basically a HUGE KAREN.

How about when they are ranting at you and you have no idea whats going on?

adam277 wrote:
But no doubt it will make you feel good raging at someone who probably is being paid like £9/hr.

Are you saying supermarkets and petrol stations pay below minimum wage for over 20's? Also I don't rage, it gets me arrested.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all got a lot odder with Tesco. I've noticed more and more members of staff are having to wear body cameras and in London at least big screens have gone up around the till areas.

I had a chat with the manager of a local branch a month or so back and he said theft and robbery had gone through the roof in the last 6-12 months, that one East London branch had their tills done over 8 times in the previous month. That Tesco head office had decreed that everyone entering should be identified although this excludes people in masks.
He did tell me that it was VERY rare for them to be robbed by people wearing crash helmets, in fact he couldn't remember the last time but Tesco head office had decreed it under threat of staff being fired.

This creates a really misleading scenario as far as security is concerned. People Tesco staff see everyday wearing crash helmets who queue up to pay are seen as a theft risk whereas people who walk in wearing a hoodie and scarf or mask who steal (yep, big generalisation there) aren't. Even worse the average thief who doesn't bother to cover their face that no one notices stealing isn't affected at all.

The biggest part that Tesco have missed with their security protocols is that criminals don't follow rules, that's why they are criminals. No criminal is going to see a no crash helmet sign and think "hmm, better not rob there, I have to take my crash helmet off" so it's a pretty pointless rule that only affects the law abiding.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
It's all got a lot odder with Tesco. I've noticed more and more members of staff are having to wear body cameras and in London at least big screens have gone up around the till areas.

I had a chat with the manager of a local branch a month or so back and he said theft and robbery had gone through the roof in the last 6-12 months, that one East London branch had their tills done over 8 times in the previous month. That Tesco head office had decreed that everyone entering should be identified although this excludes people in masks.
He did tell me that it was VERY rare for them to be robbed by people wearing crash helmets, in fact he couldn't remember the last time but Tesco head office had decreed it under threat of staff being fired.

This creates a really misleading scenario as far as security is concerned. People Tesco staff see everyday wearing crash helmets who queue up to pay are seen as a theft risk whereas people who walk in wearing a hoodie and scarf or mask who steal (yep, big generalisation there) aren't. Even worse the average thief who doesn't bother to cover their face that no one notices stealing isn't affected at all.

The biggest part that Tesco have missed with their security protocols is that criminals don't follow rules, that's why they are criminals. No criminal is going to see a no crash helmet sign and think "hmm, better not rob there, I have to take my crash helmet off" so it's a pretty pointless rule that only affects the law abiding.

The bellend part of the no helmet rule (no pun) is that the rule is intended to thwart bilkers.
Bikes can hold around 20 litres.
But its Pikeys and Eastern Europeans in transits fill 45 gallon drums and doing one, that are the problem.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The bellend part of the no helmet rule (no pun) is that the rule is intended to thwart bilkers.
But its Pikeys and Eastern Europeans in transits fill 45 gallon drums and doing one, that are the problem.

I'm talking about the Tesco Metro shops, they always used to be happy with crash helmets in London. The petrol stations are another matter and both the ones I use in Wales are happy to have you keep you helmet on.
One told me that in the 5 years they had been open they only had one motorcycle drive away for less than £4 but weekly they have cars driveaway.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

The daftest part is being asked over the tannoy to remove your helmet when using pay-at-pump Rolling Eyes

Given the amount of infrastructure required for a petrol station - mainly I'm thinking of digging a big hole for the storage tanks - I'm surprised we're not seeing those auto bollards in action. A few in front of the pumps and one on the exit. Obviously someone's going to try and race out on a legitimate customer's tail... would make for some amusing CCTV videos on TikTok Smile

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Given the amount of infrastructure required for a petrol station - mainly I'm thinking of digging a big hole for the storage tanks - I'm surprised we're not seeing those auto bollards in action.

Petrol station on Holloway Road just south of archway has spike strips that can be raised and lowered.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3