Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Awaab Ishak: Toddler's mould death is unacceptable

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:33 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Awaab Ishak: Toddler's mould death is unacceptable Reply with quote

OK, arguement time.

Yes I'm sad this lad has died but we have mould in our house. Wifie cleans it. Am I wrong in asking why kids parents havent indulged in a bit of house cleansing?

Yes, the pictures aren't nice, certaiinly not million pound homes on adverts. but most of us live in bog standard basic houses. I clean mould on my boat because I don't like it.

Or should the government clean up after everyone. (dog poo bags cost you know).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-63641438

Last edited by Polarbear on 12:50 - 16 Nov 2022; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:00 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in a defective building, it's not just a case of cleaning. Mrs stinkwheels last digs were a nightmare for damp and mould. To the point you had to keep bags of flour in plastic bags in the cupboards or they'd be hairy mouldy within a couple of weeks. It grew behind any furniture that was up against a wall and even under carpets. It turned out a couple of years later that there was a burst water main under the building and it was effectively sitting on top of a pond.

My student tennement digs had a leaky roof and because several of the people in the building wouldn't chip in, it never got fixed. Nobody listened to the students on the top floor and they didn't see a problem. I woke up one night to a tearing sound which turned out to be the wallpaper peeling itself down off the wall. Black hairy mould under it.

My eventual solution to that was to stop putting a bucket under the drips and lift the floorboards so they dripped directly onto the ceiling of the flat below. When they complained about water pissing in through their light fittings, I told them it's the leaky roof they refused to get fixed.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:31 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Story time, before I moved to the West Country I lived in Harold Hill near Romford. I lived next door to an African
family. They had the exact same same two bedroom house me and my then girlfriend did but there were 7 of them in
there. He worked for the London Underground as a platform attendant and she worked in nursing. They owned the house.
Don't get me wrong, they were friendly and polite, after the father and me had our first discussion when I moved in
and after he tried to bring it into the conversation half a dozen times I politely had to reinforce my disinterest in religion
by pointing out that I wasn't and would never be remotely religious but this didn't mean we couldn't get on so long if
we allowed each other to have their own opinions on the topic, I later learned he was also a pastor. This guy wouldn't
let his children watch Harry Potter because it had witchcraft in it, you get my drift. His kids ranged from about 4 to
about 15 when I first moved in, two boys and three girls the oldest and youngest being boys. The children were
very respectful and polite, occasionally they might get a little noisy but it was all good natured stuff and if it became
a bit much I'd only have to go out side and ask them to calm down a bit and they would.

As nice as they were, the family thought nothing of dumping old mattresses, smashed up children's toys and the
like in the back garden and just leaving them there to rot, they regularly clogged up the drains in the communal
driveway we shared with chicken fat. Even after me repeatedly unblocking them (as the water ran down into my back
garden flooding it) and explaining in very simple terms how and why this happened, with me even using a bowl of cold
water and some hot chicken fat to physically demonstrate what happens in the drains and how it solidifies when
it gets cold, they continued to do it. I'd often see the father of the house taking a piss in his own front garden, with
7 sharing a single toilet I can see why. There was the one occasion where he knocked on my front door and asked me
if I could come inside and look at one of his radiators. Being the neighbourly type I said yes of course. The main
radiator in his living room had burst a seam and was steadily squirting water out like a water pistol. The thing that got
me was that they had every single receptacle in the house, saucepans, a childrens potty, washing up bowls and whatnot
dotted about all all over the living room floor all full of water, they weren't emptying a single container and putting
it back again to catch more nor were they throwing any of the water away, almost as if they believed it could be put
back in somehow. It was a self filling heating system so the water kept coming, the radiators were on flat out, hot to the
touch. The family were sitting round in bath robes just stepping over all these bowls of water everywhere. I went a
back into my house and got a couple of wrenches and simply isolated that radiator and then let the pressure out of it
so that the leak stopped and informed him he needed a new radiator. A few days later I saw a plumbers van outside
and indeed they had arranged to have the rad replaced. Happy days.

Just before I left to move to Bristol and a few years later he knocked again and asked me to come and take a look
inside his house. The heating was on again it was about 28 degrees in there. There was thick black mould on every
wall, floor to ceiling. I have to say, I never saw them ever have a window open in the 5 years I lived next door
to them. I tried to explain that there were basically too many of them in there, they had it too warm and they needed
to ventilate the place regularly to prevent this and would need a fungicidal wash and a repaint to get rid of it. But I
might as well have told my other neighbours cat for what good it probably did. I ended up clearing all the garbage
out of their garden when I was selling my house because I didn't want it to put off any prospective buyers, there were
three mattresses amongst what I cleared. As nice as they were, they were not cut out for life in the modern world I'm
afraid. He would regularly tell me how he would pray to sort out things that weren't going right for him, like it was all
gods will or something. There was no damp, or mould in my almost identical house even once during the years I owned it.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not always under your control. A long time back I rented a flat with the bathroom towards the centre of the building (ie no windows) and the vent wasn’t exactly great. Ended up getting a shitload of mould in the corners of the ceiling even though I had the fan running almost full time and was using fungicidal spray pretty much every day etc. landlord tried to pin it on me until I complained enough that they actually looked into the flat above me and discovered their bathroom piping was leaking through the floor into my ceiling.

But yeah if I had a kid at that point I’d have been bugging the landlord every day and probably would have moved out even sooner than I did.

Last edited by xX-Alex-Xx on 10:02 - 16 Nov 2022; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: Awaab Ishak: Toddler's mould death is unacceptable Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
OK, arguement time.

Ye I'm sad this lad has died but we have mould in our house. Wifie cleans it. Am I wrong in asking why kids parents havent indulged in a bit od house cleansing?

Yes, the pictures aren't nice, certaiinly not million pound homes on adverts. but most of us live in bog standard basic houses. I clean mould on my boat because I don't like it.

Or should the government clean up after everyone. (dog poo bags cost you know).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-63641438

It's a tough one.
Damp is exacerbated by stagnant air in poorly ventilated spaces.
Winter means we close windows more to keep expensive heat in. That doesn't drive off moisture as warm air holds more moisture.
Fungus spores thrive in humid conditions.
Cleaning may not solve the issue as moulds are not always just on the surface and could be embedded in masonry, plaster board, furnishings and carpet.
Preventing damp by improving fresh airflow is the cure.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:28 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insulation also plays a big part.

My house is well insulated and there's not a spot of damp or mould even though we've done a lot to eliminate draughts. What it does have is an industrial grade cooker hood with an outside vent and an open flue wood burner in the living room so it keeps air circulating. No condensation on the windows or anything despite me keeing the house pretty cool ('stat set at 17 or 17.5).

My porch on the other hand is a single skin block wall and in the winter, it gets actual water on the wall and mould will quickly spring up (probably not helped by hanging damp bike, watersports and outdoor gear in there to dry). Condesnsation on the window every morning.

I halved the amount of mould in the porch by putting up insulated wallpaper (yes, it's a thing) and it's got eggshell paint so I can wipe it off.

It's all down to the dew point which is a function of relative surface temperature and humidity. If a wall is cold compared to the room, water will condense on it. The larger the temperature difference, the more condensation (and mould0 will form. You get rid of the humidity by ventilation, you get rid of the temperature difference by insulation.

It's probably high time they enforced a minimum standard of insulation on rental properties. There is no excuse for it not already being done on any council properties. In fact, all council properties should be fully insulated and have solar panels on where possible to my mind. Although it seems council building control have great difficulty preventing people using flammable cladding, so that's something they should probably work on.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly not saying that if the house is going to suffer from mould it shouldn't be repaired or whatever needs doing and if that is the case the housing people association or whoever is the landlord shouls fix it. I'm just saying that surely the tenants could have kept it to a level that wouldn't have been detremental to the kids health.

I just sort of think if it was so bad and all down to the house, it would have been present when they moved in and they would have seen it. If it wasn't some of it might be down to their way of living and they need educating on how to change their lifestyle to (help) get rid of it.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm certainly not saying that if the house is going to suffer from mould it shouldn't be repaired or whatever needs doing and if that is the case the housing people association or whoever is the landlord shouls fix it. I'm just saying that surely the tenants could have kept it to a level that wouldn't have been detremental to the kids health.

I just sort of think if it was so bad and all down to the house, it would have been present when they moved in and they would have seen it. If it wasn't some of it might be down to their way of living and they need educating on how to change their lifestyle to (help) get rid of it.

Mrs last flat literally had wet walls when we were in , they weren't apparent when we first moved in

When she was moving out, they had stripped the paper off and had dehumidifiers running all the time (imagine that now with energy costs)

i'd take a punt and say they do this everytime there's a new tenant , have it repapered rather than fixing the actual problem

There's plenty of tramps renting these houses and plenty of Tramps that have inherited them off family renting them out
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

It's probably high time they enforced a minimum standard of insulation on rental properties.

Good way to take even more out of the system, everything to do with being a landlord soaks up any 'income' you get and more - so they will sell up or let it stand empty rather than fork out more £1000s
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letting it stand empty still gets you a water, gas and electricity standing charge, even with zero consumption and
with the electricity switched off, and water and gas shut off at the mains. Plus a full council tax bill. More than it would be
if there was a single person living there actually using services such as refuse collection who would be entitled to 25%
discount. It also needs special insurance if it's empty, most landlord insurance is only valid if the property is occupied.
I'm not in that game any more, but there was a lot of expenditure if you did it legally and properly. Even getting rid of a
cvnty, difficult, non paying tenant ends up costing you money in the end. Believe me, I know.

Arguably, a council property should be maintained to a minimum standard as people are placed in those
with little choice as to the area or condition and standard of the property. But a private tenancy is a different
ball of wax in my opinion. I'm not saying that it's okay to rent out a rathole, but it's a bit like buying a used car.
You don't have to rent it and you'll usually have a good look round the place to see (and smell) it before signing
any kind of agreement, you also don't have to stay if it's not to your satisfaction, Free market innit. I always dealt
promptly with any gripes my tenants may have had and sorted things to their satisfaction very quickly, I also would
spend money on the upgrading of my places every year, one year new windows the next a new boiler, the next
new carpets and a repaint and so on. I also gave them a full once over, deep clean and refresh between tenants.
My standard was 'Would I be happy to rent this place?' and the rent I charged reflected that standard of accommodation
and my involvement and quick resolution of maintenance issues that can crop up from time to time regardless of how
well kept a property is. My other policy was to charge £50 per month less than the going rate. £600 a year saved, enough for
a little holiday. It kept my tenants 'sticky' which is what you want as a landlord, because they knew they weren't being
milked and got to live in good quality, well maintained houses.

Last edited by grr666 on 14:48 - 16 Nov 2022; edited 2 times in total

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

It's probably high time they enforced a minimum standard of insulation on rental properties.

Good way to take even more out of the system, everything to do with being a landlord soaks up any 'income' you get and more - so they will sell up or let it stand empty rather than fork out more £1000s

Obviously the Private sector cannot fill the gap for the rental market and thus, the public sector will have to step up

Not something politicians want to do because they're all lazy cretins with no idea how to run a bath
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:04 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

I'd see that as a good thing. Less buy to rent speculators driving up house prices and teetering on a knife-edge of what they can afford to pay back. Then getting themselves in bother after the inevitable recovery of interest rates to normal levels and slacking off on maintainance.

Buy to rent is a scourge on our housing sector from the point of view of people being able to afford somewhere to live.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a mortgage on any of my rentals only my own residence. What else was I supposed to spend that
money on where I could get a decent return?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a very sad tale. But the mould problem is common these days.

Small flats, no garden to dry clothes, hermetically sealed with UPVC glazing, you get the picture.

Landlords and HAs are always doling out advice on how to prevent mould from condensation and it is routinely ignored.

Clearly we haven't go a full picture here but I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be one of these case where the tenant has a some responsibility albeit unwitting.

ATEOTD Unless holes in roof and/or poor guttering the moisture is generated inside and need to be expelled.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I never had a mortgage on any of my rentals only my own residence. What else was I supposed to spend that

Berkshire Hathaway
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:07 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Well, you're not a buy to rent person then are you? So you won't be shitting yourself because the interest rate has increased. You'll be making a profit and as such can keep your properties well maintained for a reasonable rent. You invested in property and are making a return.

Buy to rent landlords aren't property investors because they have nothing to invest, they are debt-based speculators.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Buy to rent is a scourge on our housing sector from the point of view of people being able to afford somewhere to live.

A more common scenario is couple get together and rent out one they had bought or were buying independently before moving together, or bought small house or flat when they left home but in later life end up moving back to parents perhaps to care for them or just need more space. Everything you do in a rented property to do with electrics or boilers has to be certified and regularly updated then about half tenants will eventually turn it into a shit hole and need major refurb to let again especially at 'lower end'.
The most likely way to get out of it is sell off for £250k or whatever so another one not available to rent.
That's what happened with two I'm familiar with locally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:50 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a more common scenario is people speculatively buying multiple properties on cheap mortages and using the rental income to service the mortgage... Then interest rates go up.

On the whole, I fundamentally disageree with the concept of having to rent property. It's lost money and from what I can see at the moment, costs more than paying off a mortgage. Useful as a temporary measure but not as a way to live.

The whole rent to buy model with council properties in the 80's was a phenomenal idea that was fucked up by the details. It had all the benefits of social housing but the rent was actually buying you your home.

Where it fucked up was the money disappearing into the treasury vortex and not being ring-fenced for new build schemes to allow the next generation to do the same. With the benefits of scale and ability to streamline planning and use eminent domain, they should have been able to build 2 for every one they sold off.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insulation can make damp worse if improperly installed, either because the building structure is unsuitable or the job’s badly done.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-dark-side-of-insulating-britain/

stinkwheel wrote:
Buy to rent landlords aren't property investors because they have nothing to invest, they are debt-based speculators.

Precisely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Well, you're not a buy to rent person then are you?

Arguably yes I was, in the literal sense. I bought a house outright, specifically so that I could let it to tenants.
Borrow to let is a far more accurate term for what you're talking about, but I get your point.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A badly vented tumble dryer makes all the difference. The flat I used to live in had the tumble dryer in the kitchen and the bread would go mouldy within a day or 2. Now the dryer's out in the shed and bread lasts about a week.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:08 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
A badly vented tumble dryer makes all the difference. The flat I used to live in had the tumble dryer in the kitchen and the bread would go mouldy within a day or 2. Now the dryer's out in the shed and bread lasts about a week.

Little things like that should be beaten into people so they understand the problem and can do something themselves rather than bleat to the HA or who ever. If the trunking for your tumble drier has come apart, fix it. Don't just carry on and cry wolf about it.

I suppose my rant is the whole point of people expecting everything on a plate. My fault is someone elses problem. Yes, yes, I know. Times move on but I remember my gran doing the washing with a boiler, a stick and a mangle in the kitchen. No mould, no whining, no problem.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a worrying tendency to pin the blame on landlords, just for political expediency. Landlords are not hoteliers, nor are they employers. They aren't there all the time and they don't know what (if any) issues might arise, unless they're informed. When this process doesn't work, more often than not it's a third party (some kind of agent) that's to blame. If someone has a child that's getting sick because of unsafe living conditions, it's imperative to get to a place of safety (such as a hotel) and get medical assistance. That's the responsibility of a parent. If the dwelling is unfit and it isn't made good by a responsible landlord, the parent should move out and terminate the rental agreement because of breach of contract. Parents are ultimately responsible for the health of their kids, and nobody else.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:32 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

stinkwheel wrote:

Precisely.

The days of 100% mortgages are gone. In order to buy to let you are going to have to punt a chunk of your own capital in there, along with legal fees, double stamp duty, arrangement fees etc.

A lot of that cannot be claimed against tax and improvements only go towards capital gains when you eventually sell, so HMRC don’t encourage ‘evil’ landlords to improve living conditions for tenants.

“Landlords” are all sorts of different people from all sorts of different walks of life. They don’t all do the same things for the same reasons. “Tenants” just the same, I’m sure some call out landlords because a fuse has blown in a plug while others are respectful of what is their home. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 18 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

“Tenants” just the same, I’m sure some call out landlords because a fuse has blown in a plug while others are respectful of what is their home. Thumbs Up

As I've said earlier in the thread, I'm not in this game anymore but I've had tenants from both ends of the scale.
I had one woman who wanted me to arrange someone to clean the fins inside the radiators and come over and cut
the grass every few weeks. I ordered her a long brush and a lawnmower both of which which she eventually stole.
She's also the one who ended up being a non payer and attempted as best as she could to scupper the eventual
sale of that house. By refusing to pay rent, sabotage any viewings if she'd allow the viewings to take place at all or
ultimately leave, this was a 60 something lone woman. Had to go through the eviction process to finally get the
property empty so my very patient buyer who hung in there for 10 months could eventually move in.
I've had others who have been renting from me in excess of 6 years and called me out maybe twice in that time,
them happily taking care of basic maintenance like keeping the garden tidy and clearing the gutters when needed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 150 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2