Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki AR50 (93cc) 100 mph Challenge

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Autobeta2T
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:27 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Kawasaki AR50 (93cc) 100 mph Challenge Reply with quote

Good Morning all

I just wanted to share my AR50 100mph challenge I am doing in homage to the Practical Sportsbike series of articles published about 10 years ago where they tuned a 93cc AR to get to 100mph.

I'm trying to complete the challenge myself and documenting it on my YouTube channel here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb2xMrRCECgmzT7fhoXnQKVCOpZJtxZCl

Slowly getting there but plenty left to do including porting and a pipe.

Cheers

Dave

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:54 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You going for a streamliner fairing too? Aerodynamics are very important. The faster you go, the more important they become. Double your speed, quadruple your aerodynamic drag. My mate put nitrous on his supercharged hayabusa drag bike which gained him over 100bhp and 5mph on his top speed.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your impressive methodical approach should yield results - keep us posted Thumbs Up

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Autobeta2T
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:22 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You going for a streamliner fairing too? Aerodynamics are very important. The faster you go, the more important they become. Double your speed, quadruple your aerodynamic drag. My mate put nitrous on his supercharged hayabusa drag bike which gained him over 100bhp and 5mph on his top speed.

Hi Stinkwheel,

The current plan is to follow the original mag set up so no special fairing; however, depending on how the tuning goes I'm not ruling it out. There a full fairing for these somewhere I think... Could be an option.

Cheers

Dave

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 16 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cool idea, I remember reading the articles in PS back in the day and really enjoying them.

What I can't remember is whether in the original PS attempt, they ended up with something that was completely unusable for anything OTHER than getting to 100mph...

Will you be happy enough if you end up with a bike that gets close to the speed, even if it's so peaky and inefficient in the low/mid range it's basically unusable for normal riding?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of 2stroke stuffing: he's aiming for the fastest 50cc bike on the salt flats. One engine design has a petrol carb for getting up to speed then methanol is just tipped in en masse Shocked Don't think it'll be much use on the commute Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:48 - 17 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Reminds me of 2stroke stuffing: he's aiming for the fastest 50cc bike on the salt flats. One engine design has a petrol carb for getting up to speed then methanol is just tipped in en masse Shocked Don't think it'll be much use on the commute Smile

Reminds me of a Wahl Phillips fuel injector. Effectively a fuel gate valve and a butterfly valve in a tube attached to the throttle cable with a linkage so you can adjust how open the tap is to how much air is getting in. At wide open throttle, it's effectively an open fuel tap in a tube.

Autobeta2T
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:31 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
It's a cool idea, I remember reading the articles in PS back in the day and really enjoying them.

What I can't remember is whether in the original PS attempt, they ended up with something that was completely unusable for anything OTHER than getting to 100mph...

Will you be happy enough if you end up with a bike that gets close to the speed, even if it's so peaky and inefficient in the low/mid range it's basically unusable for normal riding?

Hi - I'm not sure how rideable the original bike was... I imagine it was pretty peaky!

I think I'll be in a similar boat tbh. But it'll be what is necessary to get to 100mph.

Rideability isn't really a concern but power is. Best I get good at clutch Slipping Shocked

I'm a long way off at the min and it's really easy to ride.

Cheers

Dave

Autobeta2T
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:33 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Love the 2 Stroke Stuffing channel. He's really pushing the envelope on the stuff he does. Great to see.

I think that salt lake bike is still over in the US awaiting the next attempt?

Cheers

Dave

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:48 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is going to ride it in the attempt? I notice you're a big fella and that's really going to hurt your speed.

As Stinkwheel says aeros are everything in top speed racing. When Harriet Ridley borrowed Ken Dunn's bike in 2006 she sailed past 200mph (first woman in the world to do it on a NA roadbike, except no-one realised it at the time) where he had never managed more than 190.

Check out the pic to understand why...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/2743110/Im-in-the-club.html

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Autobeta2T
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:30 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Who is going to ride it in the attempt? I notice you're a big fella and that's really going to hurt your speed.

As Stinkwheel says aeros are everything in top speed racing. When Harriet Ridley borrowed Ken Dunn's bike in 2006 she sailed past 200mph (first woman in the world to do it on a NA roadbike, except no-one realised it at the time) where he had never managed more than 190.

Check out the pic to understand why...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/2743110/Im-in-the-club.html

Hi Pete, yes I could do with trimming up an bit (lot). However, I'm only 5' 7" so compact. I've lost a bit but in all honesty I'm never getting down to 10.5 stone again... Maybe 11.5 at a push. Be good to get back into my leathers for some testing so I do need to loose as I'm too tight to buy some more...

I have a mate whose son races classic bikes and can't weigh more than 9.5 stone... I plan to ask him to be pilot.

Cheers

Dave

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course any bike is horribly aerodynamic compared to cars etc and most of it is rider.

The air coming off the bike is also pretty important. If it's tumbling behind the rider it will increase drag.

I remember one day at the runway a guy came up to me for advice. He had been running 197, 198mph all day but couldn't hit the magic 200, asked me what can he do to get him over the line. I told him to lift his arse 2" off the seat soit was riding up on the 'buses hump a bit. He did that and hit 200 first try.

Good luck with your attempt anyway, I always enjoyed those days even if half of them I came away disappointed because of some breakdown or bad weather etc.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you'll need something like this to hit the magic ton -
https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/The-200-MPG-Aerocycle_1.jpg
https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/the-200-mpg-aerocycle-07-07-2010/

This one was built for fuel efficiency though, so god knows what the high speed stability is like.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1