Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stolen & recovered - need advice about insurance/repairs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Swisscheese
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:07 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Stolen & recovered - need advice about insurance/repairs Reply with quote

So, my GSXR got stolen recently in London. Police got in touch to say they had recovered it....will pick it up soon at the police station.

Spoke to the PC on the phone who chased down the thief. Apparently, a classic theft - bike was being pushed along by a scooter. Bike was dumped in the road when the police started following. Thief got away on the back of his mate's scooter.

I don't remember for sure, but I think I put the steering lock on when I parked the bike, so this may have been broken to steal it. The police told me though that they thought the bike is in good condition for me to ride it home, since the thief managed to move it to the other side of London and seemed to be steering it fine around corners until he ditched it.

Wondering now what to do about the insurer and repairs, assuming the steering lock is broken.

The bike is about 15 years old. I bought it at auction as a category N write-off. It was uneconomical to repair then apparently due to some minor fairing damage and a broken headlight assembly (???). I fixed it myself at very little cost and it was in great condition with pretty low mileage.

My understanding is that a broken steering lock is a sure write-off (going by the fact that the previous minor damage made it a write-off!).

Since I bought it as a category N and I have put quite a few more miles since then, I imagine that the insurer will consider the bike to be almost worthless at the time of theft, despite being in good condition to me. Looking at similar bikes on ebay, they are going for between £3800 - £4500 or more at the moment.

If the steering lock is broken, the insurer would consider the bike a write-off and wouldn't offer anything like the amount I'd need to purchase a similar bike, any advice on what to do?

If the bike still rides fine, should I just inform the insurer of the attempted theft but not make an insurance claim? And not have the bike assessed?

I'm leaning towards this, because I don't have a few £Grand available at the moment to make up the difference to buy a similar bike off ebay - and I love this GSXR. Also, I dont want my insurance to go up and I want to keep my no claims.

But what if the bike had the steering lock on and it has been broken now? Presumably, the bike wouldn't be covered in the case of future theft if the steering lock wasn't being used. I go to London a fair bit, so future theft isn't so unlikely.

I'm pretty good at doing all servicing on my bike myself. However, if the steering lock is broken, I understand this is a hard job to repair yourself (finding all the parts on ebay, special tools, lots of time etc). Also I need my bike for transport ASAP. So I wouldn't be keen to fix this myself right now (if that needed doing).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:12 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a broken ignition inc. steering lock wouldn't write it off, but dropping it on it's side would.

Swisscheese
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:18 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was definitely dumbed on its side from what the PC told me.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most steering locks are feckin useless, (obviously)
I'd focus on damage to vital parts not cosmetics and if it's
safe and fit for road use, or can be made so easily, carry on.

I wouldn't bother calling the insurance company unless I wanted to actually claim and get a decent payout.

When my lads bike was nicked and quickly recovered, we just fixed it and carried on regardless.
When my old bike was nicked and found down the road with
the wiring butchered, same again.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swisscheese wrote:
Thief got away on the back of his mate's scooter.

WTF happened to tactical contact? They deserved to be rammed into a bus shelter. Sorry about your bike mate.
These fuckers deserve to be tied up, put into a sack with a few paving slabs and launched into the sea.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that the claim will not be worthwhile so don't even contact them or they'll load your premium somewhere along the way. Just repair it as cheaply as you can.

Swisscheese
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:44 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Most steering locks are feckin useless, (obviously)
I'd focus on damage to vital parts not cosmetics and if it's
safe and fit for road use, or can be made so easily, carry on.

I wouldn't bother calling the insurance company unless I wanted to actually claim and get a decent payout.

When my lads bike was nicked and quickly recovered, we just fixed it and carried on regardless.
When my old bike was nicked and found down the road with
the wiring butchered, same again.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what condition it's in tonight. Not too worried about the cosmetics. I've been commuting on it for a couple of hours a day in all weathers this year so it is starting to show some age.

Was looking on ebay and there are a few key ignitions for the model up for sale, so will give it a go if it's not in a terrible state and not bother with the insurance claim maybe. Just hope it will start and I can ride it in the meantime. Otherwise might have to get it recovered and wait till I can fix it. I live a long way out of London and getting in by train or car is time-consuming and a lot of expense and hassle...

Swisscheese
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:46 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I would agree that the claim will not be worthwhile so don't even contact them or they'll load your premium somewhere along the way. Just repair it as cheaply as you can.

Thanks for the advice. This sounds right Thumbs Up

Swisscheese
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:52 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Swisscheese wrote:
Thief got away on the back of his mate's scooter.

WTF happened to tactical contact? They deserved to be rammed into a bus shelter. Sorry about your bike mate.
These fuckers deserve to be tied up, put into a sack with a few paving slabs and launched into the sea.

I think unfortunately they don't want to be considered responsible for injuring anyone, even if it is a little bastard. Apparently, it was a couple of scrawny kids. Probably don't want to be responsible for any damage to their car or the bike either.

The bike was nicked not long before I got to the Q Park to pick it up. Would have loved to catch the little bastards in the act, but you never know what would happen with all this knifing going on in London these days.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh they would have been armed no doubt, even if it's unlikely to actually happen they do expect the possibility of being
challenged rather than just filmed by bystanders, even if they only wave their angle grinder at you threateningly.
Something with a bit of range is the best bet for a counter attack, a whale tusk or powder fire extinguisher for example.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:56 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would they think yours is worthless when similar bikes are going for between £3800 - £4500 or more?

How old are you, how much was the policy and how much is your excess?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If It's already a cat n then they might claim it has a very low (or zero) insurb;le value since all the value of the bike had already been paid off. I never heard of this actually happening but my mate was advised such when he went to insure a cat C.

Also, thik very carefully about whether they asked you if it had ever been subject to a total loss claim when you insured it. It's normal practice to ask this and if you didn't say yes then don't try to claim.

Also, if they pay you out as a total loss, your insurance will end and you'll have to start a new policy, with the inevitable loading and loss of NCD.

Personally, I would repair it nd keep riding.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:24 - 22 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had insurance cancelled due to being paid out. Remember, the bulk of their risk and what you are legally required by law to have is the third party insurance a d not the value of the car you are insuring.

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I've never had insurance cancelled due to being paid out. . . . .

The difference is between pay out for repairs and writing off. If the insurer writes your bike off and pays out for it then as far as they are concerned that is the end of their liability. They've satisfied the conditions of the policy. If you chose to buy it back from them and repair it, it's up to you to re-insure it with a new policy.

What's worse is that if you'd paid the insurance premium in full you won't get a refund; and worse still, if you pay monthly you will either be required to continue to pay monthly or pay all the outstanding amount in one go.

That sounds unfair, but put the boot on the other foot. You sell a used jacket for say £250 but agree to be paid in installment, £50 a month. Three months the buyer says, sorry but I fell off my bike and the jacket ripped to shreds, I can't use it anymore so I'm not going to pay you any more. You wouldn't like it either.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:14 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

How comes last time I had a bike written off (my fz, stolen and collected from the filth by the insurance company) I then transferred the policy to a reaplacement (the exup valdez)?

The legal minimum insurance is 3rd party. That doesn't cover in any way your vehicle. OInly anyone else (including your passengers.)

The biggest liability, even with TPFT and fully comp is that 3rd party insurance and you are paying for a full year.

If your insurance is cancelled afterwards I'd be shouting to the insurance ombundsman about ther fact that they are denying you the full year 3rd party insurance that you paid for.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The biggest liability, even with TPFT and fully comp is that 3rd party insurance and you are paying for a full year.

The likely liability for a policy holder would be the value of their vehicle (Fully Comp) so predictable whereas Third Party liabilities could be anything and beyond solid prediction. i.e. my shitbox piles into a Civic vs. my shitbox piles into a Lambo.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:28 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadrospazzing a car full in your own car costs massively more than hitting a lambo. Thats where the potential liability of 3rd party insurance is huge.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

If your insurance is cancelled afterwards I'd be shouting to the insurance ombundsman about ther fact that they are denying you the full year 3rd party insurance that you paid for.

There are quite a few providers that still have cancellation on total loss. It's in the point of sale docs (IPID and SOC), and on the schedule so it's not unclear - if it's not unclear it's not considered an unfair contract condition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:14 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the sort of information about the policy I would expect to be given before I stump up cash.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
That would be the sort of information about the policy I would expect to be given before I stump up cash.

You are given it. And given 14 days from date in order to consider and reject it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The legal minimum insurance is 3rd party. That doesn't cover in any way your vehicle. OInly anyone else (including your passengers.)

Legal minimum is 'Act only'.

Swisscheese
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:42 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Why would they think yours is worthless when similar bikes are going for between £3800 - £4500 or more?

I think they might because I bought it at an insurance auction for about £2,500 as a category N with about 10,000 miles. It's done about 25,000 now. I guess the insurance company would offer a lot less now. £3,800 - £4,500 is the price on ebay now if I wanted to buy a decent second hand one ASAP.

Ste wrote:
How old are you, how much was the policy and how much is your excess?

35, ~£600, don't remember the excess but I think I picked the highest as I wasn't planning on making claims for minor damage.

Swisscheese
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:05 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
If It's already a cat n then they might claim it has a very low (or zero) insurb;le value since all the value of the bike had already been paid off. I never heard of this actually happening but my mate was advised such when he went to insure a cat C.

Also, thik very carefully about whether they asked you if it had ever been subject to a total loss claim when you insured it. It's normal practice to ask this and if you didn't say yes then don't try to claim.

I don't remember about this exactly when I got the insurance, but I know when you do an HPI check on the plate it comes up as a category N and the reason for the category N.

Pete. wrote:

Also, if they pay you out as a total loss, your insurance will end and you'll have to start a new policy, with the inevitable loading and loss of NCD.

Personally, I would repair it nd keep riding.

I picked it up at the police station and the fairings are pretty bad on the side it was dropped on. Luckily, I had a crash bobbin that did its job to save the frame and engine bits and bent to take the brunt of it. Other side is looking a bit scuffed too so it's pretty tatty now but I think I'll leave it that way over winter and get a new fairing kit in the summer.

Ignition housing was broken off the top triple clamp when the steering lock was broken. Dent in the front wheel rim but tire is not losing air. Part of the clutch lever is broken and the bar end is gone.

I couldn't get it started at the police station and couldn't figure out why. Police even tried to help me bump start it. Got the RAC to come and have a look. Turns out the knock to the clutch lever broke the clutch safety switch, so the bike didn't think the clutch was pulled in, so wouldn't power the starter motor. RAC guy gave me a piece of wire to bridge the switch temporarily for starting it, so its ridable.

Most expensive thing will be a new fairing kit from China for around £300 - £400. All the other bits are fairly cheap from ebay.

Swisscheese
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:13 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Something with a bit of range is the best bet for a counter attack, a whale tusk or powder fire extinguisher for example.

I would have loved to surprise with one of those rubber bullet guns or pepper ball guns the French riot police seem like using a lot. Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:18 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dent in the wheel rim is likely to be an mot failure.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2