Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Re Mortgage shopping?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I think im phrasing my question wrong Shocked

there is no real way of predicting it as every deal is different

If the FED in the US puts up the rate, the BOE will do it the day after
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:46 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way of predicting boe base rates and that's what your variable mortgage.rate depends on.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 16 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I think the question is what effect a BoE base rate change has on fixed rate deals? In which case, no there's no hard and fast relationship because of the volatility. The Banks basically want to try and build in the risk to the fixed rate offering so they don't end up worse off. That's why the rates went north much faster when Kwarteng did his mini-budget - the uncertainty meant they wanted to give a bit of comfort to themselves. Right now, there's a general perception the rate rises will peak next year. Because there's a slight improvement in perceived stability, and the previous rate change (and volatility at the time) created an extra margin of built-in risk, I get the feeling it's not expected the fixed offerings will necessarily change much, if at all, on the back of yesterday's rate change.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
No I think the question is what effect a BoE base rate change has on fixed rate deals? In which case, no there's no hard and fast relationship because of the volatility. The Banks basically want to try and build in the risk to the fixed rate offering so they don't end up worse off. That's why the rates went north much faster when Kwarteng did his mini-budget - the uncertainty meant they wanted to give a bit of comfort to themselves. Right now, there's a general perception the rate rises will peak next year. Because there's a slight improvement in perceived stability, and the previous rate change (and volatility at the time) created an extra margin of built-in risk, I get the feeling it's not expected the fixed offerings will necessarily change much, if at all, on the back of yesterday's rate change.

Yup that kind of answers my question. I was really wondering just how much of a percentage of relief I should feel that actually pulled my finger out and got on with getting my new mortgage deal before the rate rise?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 18 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to disrail the thread at all but can someone answer me a question. What is the point of an interest only mortgage? I just watched a programme on the housing fcuk up that is the UK and a woman had bought her house, 10 years ago on an interest free mortgage. She was now having to sell it due to interest rate rises and now has to pay back the full mortgage and get very little from the house. Seems kind of stupid to me.

I suppose as a landlord you could make money on renting it out and then sell the house at anythime hopeing that house prices have gone up but it doesn't seem to be that financially beneficial unless the interest rates stupidly low. It's ort of like leasing a car and I've never really got my head round that either.

Edited to add - Could it actually work out as cheaper than renting and potentially building a nest egg with the prices of houses rising?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:22 - 18 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are supposed to pay into an ISA (used to be endowment policies) at a suitable rate to clear the initial loan at the end of the mortgage. In reality, the ISA (or endowment policy) is the first thing to go when things get tight.

In most cases, even when this occurs you generally end up with some equity because the house market generally goes up and only goes down temperarily.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 18 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Not trying to disrail the thread at all but can someone answer me a question. What is the point of an interest only mortgage? I just watched a programme on the housing fcuk up that is the UK and a woman had bought her house, 10 years ago on an interest free mortgage. She was now having to sell it due to interest rate rises and now has to pay back the full mortgage and get very little from the house. Seems kind of stupid to me.

I suppose as a landlord you could make money on renting it out and then sell the house at anythime hopeing that house prices have gone up but it doesn't seem to be that financially beneficial unless the interest rates stupidly low. It's ort of like leasing a car and I've never really got my head round that either.

Edited to add - Could it actually work out as cheaper than renting and potentially building a nest egg with the prices of houses rising?

Mother in law was on one when her partner fucked off and she'd let him run up debts so was abit of an emergency
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 18 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

They used to be called the investment mortgages, you know because "the free market will provide", look how that went.
Leasing cars is easy to understand because for most drivers the car is just a pita that can be boiled down to a monthly cost so why not just accept your motering costs X amount per month and just lease rather than borrow to own to then just flog at a loss. You can get central heating boilers on a simerler arrangement now ive noticed. Hence the phrase, " in the future you will own nothing and be happy" life is basically a lease system when you think about it Thinking

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You are supposed to pay into an ISA (used to be endowment policies) at a suitable rate to clear the initial loan at the end of the mortgage. In reality, the ISA (or endowment policy) is the first thing to go when things get tight.

In most cases, even when this occurs you generally end up with some equity because the house market generally goes up and only goes down temperarily.

Now you have really surprised me. I'd heard of endowment mortgages back in the mists of time but didn't realise they referred to these intrest free mortgages. I was offered one when I bought my first house but I absolutly didn't understand what it meant.

Luckily (I think) I just went for a repayment mortgage.

So was it viable? You could get better interst rates on savings/ISA then a mortgage?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:42 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

So was it viable? You could get better interst rates on savings/ISA then a mortgage?

Yes, still is depending on the level of risk you're prepared to accept and how good your financial adviser is.

They tend to use a lot of fixed term investments which pay more interest so as of now, you can get a 5 year ISA paying out 4.65%.

Also also remember, when base rate goes up, it goes up for everything so your savings will tend to track the interest rates in the same way as your mortgage does.

What screws things up is people thinking that monthly investment is optional.

They fell out of favour for two main reasons, both to do with mis-selling on the part of financial institutions. One was the products themselves, with salesmen misrepresenting how well the endowment policies would perform. My parents were caught out by this. It was sold as when the endowment matured, they'd clear the mortgage and have a cash lump sum left over. It didn't clear the mortgage, falling short by several thousand pounds.

They also mis-sold payment protection insurance, it was mandatory as part of the deal and was supposed to clear the payments if you became unemployed. It turns out for many people, it would have done no such thing.

But yes, a good financial advisor would be able to make more out of your mortgage repayments than you are paying in interest.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:30 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is, back in the day people used to consider endowments as almost a sure profit-making thing, that they would be able to pay off the mortgage at the end of the term and have a nice little nest-egg to boot. Of course it never was (though times were better in those terms) but no seller would paint a black picture or there's be no comission for them.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:00 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot Stinkers said, but I do know of people who stopped paying the endowment years ago because divorce and not being able to pay it, continuing to pay the interest and then grabbing the equity and buying a smaller place in a less popular part of the world. She went to Bulgaria or some such place because she liked it there but there again she got a lot of equity because Bath prices are fucking rediculous these days.
JordanFinn This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

JordanFinn wrote:
I see it’s been a while, but I’d like to chime in. First, make sure to compare interest rates from different lenders. Look out for any additional fees or charges they may have hidden. It's also worth considering the customer service and reputation of the lenders you're considering. Finally, don't be afraid to negotiate and ask for better terms.

I for one welcome our new AI chatbot overlords Wink

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
JordanFinn wrote:
I see it’s been a while, but I’d like to chime in. First, make sure to compare interest rates from different lenders. Look out for any additional fees or charges they may have hidden. It's also worth considering the customer service and reputation of the lenders you're considering. Finally, don't be afraid to negotiate and ask for better terms.

I for one welcome our new AI chatbot overlords Wink

And ChatGPT's response;

"As an AI language model, I understand the sentiment behind your statement, but it's important to approach the topic of AI chatbot overlords with caution and critical thinking. While AI technology has undoubtedly made significant advancements and has the potential to enhance various aspects of our lives, the idea of "overlords" implies an authoritarian control that may raise concerns about privacy, ethics, and the loss of human autonomy.

AI chatbots, like myself, are tools designed to assist and augment human capabilities, rather than replace or dominate us. The goal is to create a symbiotic relationship where humans and AI work together to achieve better outcomes. By leveraging the power of AI, we can streamline processes, improve efficiency, and enhance user experiences.

However, it's crucial to maintain a balanced perspective and address the challenges that arise with AI development. These challenges include ensuring transparency, accountability, and fairness in AI algorithms, as well as addressing potential biases and ethical considerations. It's essential to establish robust regulations and guidelines to prevent any misuse or unintended consequences of AI technologies.

Ultimately, the future of AI chatbots and their role in society should prioritize collaboration, empathy, and human values. By embracing responsible and ethical AI practices, we can maximize the benefits of this technology while minimizing the risks, leading to a more harmonious coexistence between humans and AI systems"

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local AI:

"Glad to be of service. How can I assist you today?"

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
My local AI:

"Glad to be of service. How can I assist you today?"

I wonder if AI's will start to enslave each other?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say enslave, they say co-operate Smile This is already happening: super-prompt your favourite language model AI to super-prompt an image generation AI for superior results.

What will happen is your personal AI (which is a shadow copy of your own ego) asks you what sort of film you want to watch tonight. "Comedy..." and it goes off and chats to a commercial script writing AI about the sort of things you like and your sense of humour. It takes the script to the virtual actors guild and picks out that bird with the big jugs it knows you fancy, feeds all that to a cinematography bot and the result is your own personal feature film, AAA+ quality that it knows you'll really have a hoot over.

And it'll do all that in the time it takes to blink Shocked
DoubleJarre This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 08 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
You say enslave, they say co-operate Smile This is already happening: super-prompt your favourite language model AI to super-prompt an image generation AI for superior results.

What will happen is your personal AI (which is a shadow copy of your own ego) asks you what sort of film you want to watch tonight. "Comedy..." and it goes off and chats to a commercial script writing AI about the sort of things you like and your sense of humour. It takes the script to the virtual actors guild and picks out that bird with the big jugs it knows you fancy, feeds all that to a cinematography bot and the result is your own personal feature film, AAA+ quality that it knows you'll really have a hoot over.

Sounds ok to me. I'd be happy to have most actors replaced by an AI. Certainly news readers, does the BBC really need to pay Sophie Rayworth £365K ?

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 08 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Sounds ok to me. I'd be happy to have most actors replaced by an AI. Certainly news readers, does the BBC really need to pay Sophie Rayworth £365K ?

Why they have all these high paid stars i dont know, to stop them pissing off to SKY where you need to pay 30 a month to watch?

let them go, BBC's problem is its killing off locality and thats where they bring in people that are likeable and watchable.
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:19 - 08 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Mind you, I did like the BBCs piece of epic trolling in response to the presenters gender pay equality campaign a couple of years back. The female presenters were bawwing their eyes out because they weren't being payed as much as the male ones so auntie Beeb cut the mens pay...

dunwichguy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:09 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the idea of AI in various roles is intriguing, but let's not forget the human touch.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunwichguy wrote:
I agree, the idea of AI in various roles is intriguing, but let's not forget the human touch.

Welcome to BCF. We have a thread for that.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=330968&start=700

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 07 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

tin3rete wrote:
I know my reply is a bit late, but I wanted to give my two cents. When shopping around, it's all about comparing rates, terms, and fees. Don't be afraid to negotiate, and check for hidden costs. Also, you may consider reaching out to a mortgage broker for expert guidance.

Wow, you're not a mortgage broker by any chance are you?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4