Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

what temp's your heating set at??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: what temp's your heating set at?? Reply with quote

We're on oil out here and the thermostat in the hall is at about 16-17, and it seems to come on about once an hour, for about 15 minutes. Actually I haven't really checked it that closely, but it seems to be something like that. Personally I'm fine with that, and in fact could live fairly comfily with just enough hot water for a 3 minute shower a day, and sod the central heating (there is a wood burning stove in the living room which i would grudgingly fire up if there was snow on the ground or summert). But the kids and mrs aren't really prepared to wrap up indoors to the same extent I am, hence thermostat at circa 17.

What's yours currently at? And, or, how do you usually stave off hypothermia?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:49 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ours is set to 12 minimum but we occasionally use an hour boost up to 17. It never actually gets to 17 but it's comfortable enough over 15 for us at the moment. We're going to have to put it on timer too though because I've been very cold at night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:56 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines set to fucking freezing because my boiler has been fucked for about 2 months now.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of an evening I jack mine up to 21 for a few hours, but my house is quite new build and thus well insulated.
It very rarely drops below 17 with no heating on at all so to warm it up by 4 degrees is hardly excessive. Once it
reaches temperature, which isn't long it will come on for about ten minutes an hour to maintain it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:22 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently at 17.5 and the house is noticeably warmer since we fitted new windows and a new garage door which has vastly reduced the draughtiness of the house.

When I was living by myself and because I'm tight, I had it on frost setting and the hot water on twice a day for half an hour for washing. I had a good thick duvet and wore warm clothes and had a blanket for on the sofa. I even kept the windows open on "cracked open" setting to prevent condensation. If I was feeling particularly cold, I'd go down the road to the pub for a couple of hours later on..

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are these thermostats you speak of?

My entire (admittedly small fishermen's cottage) house is heated with a 5kW multi fuel stove. I'm sitting in our spare room upstairs, the opposite end of the house to the stove and it's a cosy 21C.

We've got a couple of small panel heaters to supplement that if necessary in the kitchen and bathroom.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

18, but we've got Hive smart valves to set each room individually. We have a quick blast in the morning in the bedroom and bathroom, then another in the evening for the living room. Other rooms are off.

We both wear Oodie clones (hooded blankets) if it gets chilly, and have a wood fire if it's particularly miserable. Wife's getting the gist of "heat the person, not the house" Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 17:29 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Located in Saskatchewan Canada so winters are very extreme with temperatures down to into the -50s some days, with a average around -25c. Energy for now is still cheap but that's been changing over the past few years. Costs me around $300 (200 pounds) to heat a 3100sqft house with 1500sqft garage each month.

In floor slab hydronic heating that l control with a PLC/HMI. Comes on at 0c outdoor air temperature and l have the boiler supply temperature reset between 38-48c based on outdoor air temperature.

For zone temperature l keep the main living areas at a constant 20c and bedrooms at 18-19c (manifolds have valve actuators controlled by thermostats), the infloor heating has a massive lag so its pointless setting back setpoints lower/higher. Garage with a forced air gas heater stays at 15c.

I would recommend not heating a house any lower than 15c as that's limit for building/health protection.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heating? Pussies! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set at 20 but timer is off. I occasionally press the +1hr button if ppl have been bitching a lot Smile

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have economy 7 storage heaters. One in the bedroom one in the living area. Turned the living area one on a while back as its a cold flat, but the bedroom will stay cold all winter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

thermostat in lounge is set to 18 few hrs a day, 14 most of the rest of the day, currently it is 19 in my lounge, I have a dehumidifier running and it kicks out just enough warmth to stop the temp dropping to 18 unless it is frosty

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Wife's getting the gist of "heat the person, not the house" Smile

Not a bad approach, I have a heated gilet that I've worn more in the house than I have on the bike. Thumbs Up

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thermostat is set to 19°c and on timer here but it feels cold most of the time, according to a thermometer it is 18 degrees indoors right now but it feels colder.

It's an early 70's semi detached with very old and very draughty double glazing so keeping it actually feeling warm basically means running the boiler constantly.

When we moved in it basically had no loft insulation at all worth speaking of, it's around 300mm or so up there now but it hasn't made a massive difference to how the place feels.

I have plans in the pipeline for triple glazing and thick external wall insulation at some point in the next couple of years, hopefully that makes the difference!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:53 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
The thermostat is set to 19°c and on timer here but it feels cold most of the time, according to a thermometer it is 18 degrees indoors right now but it feels colder.

It's an early 70's semi detached with very old and very draughty double glazing so keeping it actually feeling warm basically means running the boiler constantly.

When we moved in it basically had no loft insulation at all worth speaking of, it's around 300mm or so up there now but it hasn't made a massive difference to how the place feels.

I have plans in the pipeline for triple glazing and thick external wall insulation at some point in the next couple of years, hopefully that makes the difference!

It's amazing the difference you can make going round with a tube of caulk and sealing up the draughts round the windows. Or if it's the window itself, those plastic wedge things that pull them in against the seals properly. In my experience draught exclusion > insulation.

I had a guy come round from a local energy saving trust with one of those infrared cameras and he pointed out where the worst heat loss was. Had to pay him but it wasn't a lot if it was just for information and not a formal energy survey

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

16.5C to keep wifie happy. Shes on the sofa with a onesie, a hot water bottle and a dressing gown. I make a point in walking round in my skiddies saying 'It's warm in here'. Cool

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 23 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really set any thermostat, but my workplace office temp. is 16.5°C to 17°C, I want it like that and when I'm not dealing with third party people I can and do wear shorts in my office all year long. At home it's about 20°C but I can't really regulate the temperature, living in a flat.

Mind you all, we do get cold weather in the Czech republic. We've had the first snow and sub-zero temperatures last week this year already, now being 0°C outside.

EDIT: Still doing cold showers every now and then.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have the radiators on until the timer kicks in, but it gets to around 79/80 for a couple of short blasts throughout the day. The front room radiator is defective (blocked I think) so we try to get the temp high for that room's benefit rather than any other, which have reduced radiator throughput. Idle is about 52 but that's just for kicking up the hot water quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:29 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that while the main 'stat is set to 17.5, I have thermostatic valves on all the radiators so different rooms have different settings. Bedroom and hallways are pretty much on frost setting, kitchen, living room and bathroom are on high. When the kitchen gets hot from cooking or running the tumble drier, the room stat will shut off the radiator anyway.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
Located in Saskatchewan Canada so winters are very extreme with temperatures down to into the -50s some days, with a average around -25c. Energy for now is still cheap but that's been changing over the past few years. Costs me around $300 (200 pounds) to heat a 3100sqft house with 1500sqft garage each month.

In floor slab hydronic heating that l control with a PLC/HMI. Comes on at 0c outdoor air temperature and l have the boiler supply temperature reset between 38-48c based on outdoor air temperature.

For zone temperature l keep the main living areas at a constant 20c and bedrooms at 18-19c (manifolds have valve actuators controlled by thermostats), the infloor heating has a massive lag so its pointless setting back setpoints lower/higher. Garage with a forced air gas heater stays at 15c.

I would recommend not heating a house any lower than 15c as that's limit for building/health protection.

Your garage is approx 1.5 x my house floor area which rarely gets above 15C in winter - can I come an live in your garage?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

When I was living by myself and because I'm tight, I had it on frost setting and the hot water on twice a day for half an hour for washing. I had a good thick duvet and wore warm clothes and had a blanket for on the sofa. I even kept the windows open on "cracked open" setting to prevent condensation. If I was feeling particularly cold, I'd go down the road to the pub for a couple of hours later on..

and now.. ..misery.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say 18.55 °Centipede but although I identify as a man I find that I have the tolerance of a girl.
So I like 20.575°Centipede.
I do try not to shuffle around in my undercrackers but wear a layer of merino.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
16.5C to keep wifie happy. Shes on the sofa with a onesie, a hot water bottle and a dressing gown.

And how's that working for you? Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A relatively inexpensive and rather effective cost saver is reflectors behind the radiators. Tin foil works but the proper metalised prastic ones are a wee bit better.
Easy to fit and the difference is felt. (Or maybe that's a plasibo effect coz I want to justify the output.)
They may save a few pounds in heat escaping to outside walls by conduction. The radiant heat is reflected back into the radiator/room. So theoretically pay their way in a winter or two.
Depending on how high you set your thermostat.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2