M.A.I.D.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: M.A.I.D. Reply with quote

Medical Assistance In Dying.
They've had it in Belgium for some time apparently, and now (rapidly?) gaining ground in Canada. Do we want it here? To the extent Canada seems to be going for? At all?
Some of the arguments I've heard have frankly been shocking, even from the Canadian government.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Re: M.A.I.D. Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Do we want it here?
Yes please.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, we afford more dignity to our pets than ourselves.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely with appropriate checks and balances.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of dead wood we need to be rid of. Covid failed so on with the next plan.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:14 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Why would anyone want to spend years slowly dying and being in pain the whole time or alternately being trapped in their body and not even being able to wipe their own arse when they could choose a painless quick exit.

I can see situations where I would choose option b and I think it's very uncivilised to be stuck with a hangover of religeous belief (i.e. life is sacred.)

Is I do believe that prolonging life where there is a life to be lived but when the person living that life choses that they no longer enjoy it they should be given the option of a dignified exit if that is their wish.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the criteria? "Suffering" is there for Canada but that's soon to include mental as well as physical. In the UK neither is proposed to be a factor, you would need a diagnosis of less than 6 months to live.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone watch Making Sense of Cancer with Hannah Fry: When she's diagnosed with cervical cancer at the age of 36, Hannah Fry explores the issues surrounding how we screen for, and treat cancer, asking if we could be over-medicalising it.? There was a particularly interesting bit where she said doctors would treat you ‘til the end (because it’s their job and ‘life is sacred’) but when asked what treatment regime they’d want as patients in similar circumstances they said at some point they’d lay off the aggressive medication, accept the inevitable and succumb on their own terms. Of course this assumes there’s no severe pain that can’t be eased. The next logical step is euthanasia, but when?

My mother had Alzheimer’s and witnesses have said they’d do themselves in somehow if it happened to them, but it’s hard to know when to do it. The most difficult part for the patient is when they’re still aware of their predicament. As the disease progresses it takes the personality and also the awareness (we assume, god I hope so) away, and it’s the relatives who suffer.

What are these arguments chickenstrip has heard?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X is apparently the only one who has seen what is going on in Canada out of those who have replied so far. I guess the rest of you are watching BBC still Laughing
In both Canada and Belgium, there have already been cases of coercion.
The Canadian government have actually made the case that it would save them money Shocked
This is already pushing at the boundaries of "voluntary".
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

You stick with the Beeb dear boy, you'll be fine Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Easy-X is apparently the only one who has seen what is going on in Canada out of those who have replied so far. I guess the rest of you are watching BBC still Laughing
In both Canada and Belgium, there have already been cases of coercion.

You know full well the people you and Easy-X watch don't give a f**k about coercion, and exactly why they have a problem with it Wink

chickenstrip wrote:
The Canadian government have actually made the case that it would save them money Shocked
This is already pushing at the boundaries of "voluntary".

'Health-care costs increase substantially among patients nearing the end of their life' (in the context of dying in hospital).

Generally I think terminal patients should be allowed to go on their terms, beyond that it gets a lot more complicated.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it certainly goes beyond complicated when there is coercion and it starts to go beyond voluntary.
For now, I would certainly say it's something to keep an eye on, and we'll see where it goes.

Last edited by chickenstrip on 20:16 - 24 Nov 2022; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

You stick with the Beeb dear boy, you'll be fine Laughing

Don’t be a twit, it was a genuine question. What have you heard?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

You know me, it's all a WEF conspiracy!!!! Shocked

Laughing

Last edited by chickenstrip on 20:17 - 24 Nov 2022; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Yes, it certainly goes beyond complicated when there is coercion and it starts to go beyond voluntary.

As I said, the people you watch that have indoctrinated (Wink) you don't give a f**k about coercion, but you already know that.

Another day on BCF, another person being disingenuous.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

As I said, the people you watch that have indoctrinated (Wink) you don't give a f**k about coercion, but you already know that.

Explain please.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

You know me, it's all a WEF conspiracy!!!! Shocked

Laughing

Seriously though, what?
Don’t make me rely on my defaults of Twitter, the BBC and the Daily Mail website. Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:

Explain please.

Really? Eh? They object to it from a religious perspective.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Explain please.

Really? Eh? They object to it from a religious perspective.

Your mistake I'm afraid. You have me labelled wrong.
Besides, it wouldn't have mattered if that were so (it isn't) - one of MY concerns IS coercion. Would you not think that was a bad thing, without any religious connotations or agendas?

In the end, I don't give a fuck what religions people practice, or if they practice none, as long as they do it in peace. I don't follow any religion (having thoughts on them and what they teach is not the same thing).

I'll stop short of calling you arrogant for assuming you know all about me, since it's a common mistake on the internet due to misinterpretation between folk who are not face to face, one I have made myself from time to time.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Your mistake I'm afraid. You have me labelled wrong.

I didn't label you anything.

chickenstrip wrote:
Besides, it wouldn't have mattered if that were so (it isn't) - one of MY concerns IS coercion. Would you not think that was a bad thing, without any religious connotations or agendas?

If someone starts off with a conclusion then works their way back, it rarely leads to an honest discussion. I'm not accusing you of this personally but I know where it comes from.

It would be like saying the abortion debate in the US has no religious connection.

chickenstrip wrote:
In the end, I don't give a fuck what religions people practice, or if they practice none, as long as they do it in peace. I don't follow any religion (having thoughts on them and what they teach is not the same thing).

And yet you've gone off on multiple people who dared besmirch Christianity.

chickenstrip wrote:
I'll stop short of calling you arrogant for assuming you know all about me, since it's a common mistake on the internet due to misinterpretation between folk who are not face to face, one I have made myself from time to time.

Where is this coming from then (genuine question)? Unless I've missed it has it been in the news cycle?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:26 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are 1) you have to get a court order in order to have an assisted death. 2) as part of that court order a psycologist or similar gets free and solo access to to the proposed suicidee to ensure that it is their wishes and to fully undrstand their reasons why they wish to end their life.

that should remove any possibility of coercion. If necessary 3 months of that person being away from anyone who could be the coercer (including their normal carers).

That should remove any risk of coercion and if someone is serious about ending their life then a three month gap from their loved ones to ensure they can go wouldn't be that onerous.

At the moment people starve themselves to death and refuse medical treatment (including pain relief) because they cannot end it quickly and painlessly.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all very reasonable stuff but the thing is in the hands of very unreasonable people, i.e. politicians. The public might kick-off about the general principle one way or the other but the devil is in the details.

There's plenty of ppl pro-death penalty but pointing out it'll be the government doing the execution gives them pause for thought.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:22 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the checks and balances. Get that right and everying slowly numb and I fall to slee.....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 24 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
My thoughts are 1) you have to get a court order in order to have an assisted death. 2) as part of that court order a psycologist or similar gets free and solo access to to the proposed suicidee to ensure that it is their wishes and to fully undrstand their reasons why they wish to end their life.

I'd be tempted to say with an independent witness (without input) to all consultations.
I think there are certainly cases where MAID would be ok, but I think that you have to be very careful who you place your trust in, even among apparently qualified individuals. My trust in the medical profession isn't what it was, and as Easy alludes to, I would be extremely circumspect about politicians having any input in the discussion.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:31 - 25 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Aye, we afford more dignity to our pets than ourselves.

This.

I've been told by a vet it is better for the dog to be put down. Yet we fight to save people suffering as much.

I've always been a supporter of euthanasia. I'd rather be put down than be a burden on resources.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2