Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Teach me exhaust

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:21 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Teach me exhaust Reply with quote

Links or bare bones explanation (like i'm 5) appreciated.

Got a 4th gen VFR750 (beauty, sort of). It's obviously not ULEZ NOx compliant and I need it to be at some point next year. (Yes hate the situation, agree with you, separate thread).

Lots of these bikes have been put through the test and bought up to compliance. The very reasonable man at the test station tells me they usually weld a catalytic converter into the exhaust, no messing around with the carbs etc. Now as per title I know very little about exhausts, but I have two questions:

i) I'd prefer I do any work on the bike anyway, I can only find one place selling slip on cats (louis-moto), but not much else as i spose it's not that common a mod. Do they really need to be welded in?

ii) Will they really just work without any other modifications to the carbs or rest of the exhaust? I'd guess that the temperature needs to be in a certain range for it to work. My initial thinking was to richen the mix for reducing the emissions, but that would bring the temp down.

As much as it would be good for the bike to be compliant, i'd rather not spoil it in the process. Spoil in a very mild sense, but still.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:45 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it will affect the power delivery. Is this Riverbank motorcycles? It may be a requirement of the certification to add some level of anti tamper which might equal welding I guess?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:04 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I suspect it will affect the power delivery. Is this Riverbank motorcycles? It may be a requirement of the certification to add some level of anti tamper which might equal welding I guess?

That's right Riverbanks, they've been fair in the past. I think there's another one now in Stevenage.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the CAT will increase back pressure you may find you want to lean it out a wee bit as wont 'breath' as well but only testing will tell.
You may get better low end torque but lose high end power with a CAT.

That London eh?

https://media4.giphy.com/media/LvtKS6f1WatQ4/giphy.gif?cid=790b761182d932c7c8eece7d5451d4e6b3404a4f422da033&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:34 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbed bikes will poison a cat fairly quickly. There were some early carb and cat cars, mostly in Scandinavian countries with tight emissions requirements back in the 80s. Even on those factory setups, the cat would only last a year or two.

So it would only be a modification to pass the test, not a long term way of reducing emissions. For that reason, bolting it in would be preferable to welding it in.

I doubt it's a fixed requirement. I have an aftermarket exhaust on my Guzzi, but it's also homologated to Euro IV, with cats. The cats are removable, they are built into the baffle. Even car cats are typically a bolt-in section of the exhaust.

So I assume the weld-in bit is mostly Riverbank trying to cover their own backs, which is fair. They would be on fairly shaky ground anyway if TFL did a thorough investigation into them. If they want to stick with the idea that they're trying to help riders reduce emissions, instead of trying to get around the ULEZ, it would be in their interest to make emissions-reducing modifications harder to remove right after the test.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:09 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have contacted them about exactly this. Did'nt ask further but I would assume it would be a good idea to get hold of a second hand exhaust and fit the cat to this, install to pass the test then remove afterwards, I would assume it will be welded in.

Alternatively buy a newer bike which is the other idea I am toying with.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb tweaking is a part of the service that they provide. Therefore, the best plan may be to get a second-hand exhaust as suggested, and leave it to them.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all bowlocks though really isn't it? I could go buy a decat link pipe, have a flash done and ride on in for free
spitting flames and sounding like Royal Jordanians Nuda without any worries about emissions or daily fees just
because the bike is designated as Euro 5 at manufacture. It's not even an MOT failure to have taken the cat off,
not that mine will be anywhere near an MOT test centre for the next three years anyway. This isn't about emissions,
it's about getting older vehicles off the road so they can sell more new vehicles, preferably ones on message
i.e. electric ones or ones like mine with umpteen catalytic converters. That's the problem now that reliable, durable
vehicles are commonplace, there's no need to keep buying new ones.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes getting an old bike certified is all about "this model could meet the emissions target but we can't be faffed with the infrastructure to check every year." The one advantage of motorcycles is they're running on a "candles and windows tax" scheme; I suppose we should be grateful to be overlooked.

So the path is: buy second-hand exhaust, weld in cat, get certified, fit back original exhaust Smile

Without going on a rant and derailing the thread the thing of it is if all journeys done in cars, where possible, were done on motorcycles the air pollution in cities would drop to the point of not being a thing. And nothing to do with the bikes' emissions, purely down to the reduced congestion.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:45 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, yeah well i spose the policy is semi-successful if the objective is to make me chuck away a perfectly good bike and buy a new one I don't like, on a finance deal that isn't going to do anyone any good Very Happy

At least I can probs spread out the cost a bit if they do it and it doesn't have a noticeable hit on performance (I don't really rag it anyway tbf) in the few years after.

Has anyone spotted some universal slip-ons that i can just try and putty in on the off-chance i can get it through? I looked again at the ones on louis-moto and I think they're all brand-specific.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:58 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
It's all bowlocks though really isn't it? I could go buy a decat link pipe, have a flash done and ride on in for free
spitting flames and sounding like Royal Jordanians Nuda without any worries about emissions or daily fees just
because the bike is designated as Euro 5 at manufacture.

You could. Some people will. Most people won't.

This is not some big conspiracy between the London mayor's office and vehicle manufacturers to sell more new vehicles. It's a broad policy to improve local air quality in London. As a policy it works if most people comply, which they do. A small number getting around the rules doesn't make much of a difference, which is probably why Riverside are still operating. Not worth the effort to close the loophole.

Vehicles are targeted because it's a fairly easy thing to do. The data exists on how much pollution they create, and they're easy enough to track using the congestion charging infrastructure.

The tricky next step is gas boilers, another chunk of big emitters in London. That's a much harder problem to solve, which is why vehicle emissions were targeted first.

Just because you can see a way around one set of rules by breaking another set of rules, doesn't mean that the policy doesn't work.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

You could. Some people will. Most people won't.

Not even going to get into the myriad of reasons why I think you're wrong. Let's agree to differ. I won't ever
convince you it's bollocks and you won't ever convince me it's valid. And you're right, I will do what I want. Bristol's
low emission (tax) zone can suck my flames, it will delight me greatly defying it. In what universe does a manufacturer
wilfully put four catalytic converters on a performance bike other than just so they can still flog it and keep the
hand wringers from having a pink fit about it's sheer existence? I didn't buy it to please Greta, I bought it to
please me and I don't appreciate it being strangled half to death purely to support a cause that I think is spurious
and am quite, quite happy to defy entirely. I don't care a toss about the alleged climate 'crisis' or the 'pollution' charging
scam. I just want my bike to go like it was always meant to. I sincerely hope there are a great many more like me
although sadly I doubt it. Covidâ„¢ revealed the sheer number of sheep I live among. It's sad how neutered the bulk of my
countrymen have become.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:44 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Not even going to get into the myriad of reasons why I think you're wrong. Let's agree to differ. I won't ever
convince you it's bollocks and you won't ever convince me it's valid. And you're right, I will do what I want. Bristol's
low emission (tax) zone can suck my flames, it will delight me greatly defying it. In what universe does a manufacturer
wilfully put four catalytic converters on a performance bike other than just so they can still flog it and keep the
hand wringers from having a pink fit about it's sheer existence? I didn't buy it to please Greta, I bought it to
please me and I don't appreciate it being strangled half to death purely to support a cause that I think is spurious
and am quite, quite happy to defy entirely. I don't care a toss about the alleged climate 'crisis' or the 'pollution' charging
scam. I just want my bike to go like it was always meant to. I sincerely hope there are a great many more like me
although sadly I doubt it. Covidâ„¢ revealed the sheer number of sheep I live among. It's sad how neutered the bulk of my
countrymen have become.

I was fully prepared to be on your side for this. The ULEZ is nonsense, and lots of bikes that are cleaner than legal bikes will have to pay, mainly because the people who instigated the charge used arbitrary measurements to say whether a vehicle is or is not 'clean'.

However. Listen to yourself. The idea of a catalytic converter is to reduce nitrous oxides (different types), unburned hydrocarbons and even particulates in the most modern car engines (not on bikes yet I think?) The science says that these substances (Nitrogen monoxide, Carbon monoxide, benzene yadda yadda) DO cause breathing difficulties and other heath issues and by extension harm children and old people, and I assume all people eventually. There is plenty of science to back this up. So what you're saying here is that you'd rather have a bike that is lighter by a few KGs, and noiser by a few dB's and you'd risk other peoples health and wellbeing by doing so?

Yikes.

I have a couple of post 2008 bikes that are ULEZ compliant, and they are fine. My 2018 Suzuki is completely standard, and it's a rocketship. It takes a strong argument to argue that you need more than this power on the road, and bikes these days WITH catalytic converters, with heavily controlled ECUs are still twice as powerful for the same capacity as they were in the 1980s and probably approaching half the weight. So really, what is your complaint really about here?

I get the argument that its pricing older bikes off the roads, or poorer people off the roads, or forcing people to buy bikes they can't afford/didn't need/ that are manufactured taking up resources we all need... but saying you object to having catalytic converters because they strangle performance is actually not any kind of argument.

Also, covid is a disease that has 10x higher death rate than the Flu... I suppose from those comments I should have realised that your life being somewhat inconvenienced is a much more severe result than other peoples health being negatively affected. Have a word with yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:18 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
grr666 wrote:

countrymen have become.

The science says that these substances (Nitrogen monoxide, Carbon monoxide, benzene yadda yadda) DO cause breathing difficulties and other heath issues and by extension harm children and old people, and I assume all people eventually

Personally I am very torn as I love this older generation of bikes but sadly Marjay is right.

Lung cancer is now being attributed more and more to 'environmental factors' rather than from smoking. There was also an interesting study which showed children as young as 6 who lived on major roads/congested routes in major cities had plaques on heir brains consistent with those seen in adults with dementia.

You can argue about whether you believe it or not but I'm afraid the statistics and studies show that it is a real thing. As someone who grew up in London it needs to be implemented.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:27 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
In what universe does a manufacturer
hand wringers from having a pink fit about it's sheer existence?

This universe, because the only way they could legally sell it for road use was by including all of those cats. Assuming you bought it new, you signalled to the manufacturer that it's fine selling a bike with that much emissions control stuff on it, people will still buy it.

Just think, your next bike might have even more cats, with the first 4 cast directly into the cylinder head so they cant be removed.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ULEZ. Nice idea, poor execution.

There's no doubt that air pollution is bad m'kay but if your target is "less pollution" then why not tackle the major contributor: congestion? 4+ wheeled vehicles stop, start, sit in queues, trundle and very slowly wend their way around the city. This is not what the ICE was designed for.

Not so on a motorbike. Light traffic? Takes me an hour to get into the City. Heavy traffic? Takes me an hour to get into the City Rolling Eyes I could hazard between saving money on CC, ULEZ, parking and fuel my bike's practically paid for itself and spat less pollution into the air to boot just down to the engine running efficiently rather than the stop/start/stop/start of my car.

But I dunno, even though I'm doing the smart thing I get a general impression of disapproval from central government, the mayor and certainly the councils. Why is that?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading some studies a few years back concerning city commuting and all the studies concluded that if something like 10% of car commuters changed to PTW's pollution was cut in the region of 30% due to the engines running and idling for less time.

We do need to cut pollution but the major change from Petrol powered vehicles to Electric vehicles won't do it due to the absence of clean power, it just moves the pollution elsewhere.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:13 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

We do need to cut pollution but the major change from Petrol powered vehicles to Electric vehicles won't do it due to the absence of clean power, it just moves the pollution elsewhere.

Your information may be out of date.

Going by the graphs on https://grid.iamkate.com/ a little under 50% of electricity generation in the UK in the last year came from burning stuff. So about half the pollution is moved elsewhere, the other half isn't made.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Your information may be out of date.

Going by the graphs on https://grid.iamkate.com/ a little under 50% of electricity generation in the UK in the last year came from burning stuff. So about half the pollution is moved elsewhere, the other half isn't made.

I am out of date you're correct but what percentage would it be if we all moved to electric cars tomorrow?
We are also ignoring pollution during manufacture which leads us to Volvos recent comparison of EV's to ICE's and Governments failure to force EV manufaturers to give access to their orphaned software so stopping vehicles in the future being scrapped rather than smaller businesses keeping them going.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
There was also an interesting study which showed children as young as 6 who lived on major roads/congested routes in major cities had plaques on heir brains consistent with those seen in adults with dementia

Thank allah for the scummy African kids nobody gives a toss about
so we can all feel better about ourselves by driving electrical vehicles.
White lives matter?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:16 - 09 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

I am out of date you're correct but what percentage would it be if we all moved to electric cars tomorrow?
We are also ignoring pollution during manufacture which leads us to Volvos recent comparison of EV's to ICE's and Governments failure to force EV manufaturers to give access to their orphaned software so stopping vehicles in the future being scrapped rather than smaller businesses keeping them going.

If we all moved to EVs tomorrow it would crash the grid. But we aren't, EVs are being bought as quickly as they get built. It's a gradual and consistent uptake, which will be met by a gradual and consistent improvement in the resilience of the grid. More renewable generation will happen, more electric cars and heat pumps will happen, both of which mean the demand peaks and troughs get bigger.

Emissions from manufacture and disposal are one of those things where it seems no-one has really good answers or even an agreement on how to compare internal combustion vehicles with battery ones. It is likely that the emissions from building an electric car are higher than building a petrol one. A lot is mentioned about the supply chain for cobalt and lithium. If you're going to look at that, it would be fair to compare with the supply chain for petrol, from platform to forecourt.

There are lots of problems with electric vehicles that get greenwashed, but a lot of them can be fixed. Orphaned software will get jailbroken. Old batteries will get reconditioned when it's commercially viable.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:28 - 09 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Irezumi wrote:
There was also an interesting study which showed children as young as 6 who lived on major roads/congested routes in major cities had plaques on heir brains consistent with those seen in adults with dementia

White lives matter?

Laughing I should have known this thread would get here eventually lol. I just didn't count on the anti-vaxx and climate change scepticism on the way. But of course it's all linked isn't it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 09 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Old batteries will get reconditioned when it's commercially viable.

Like solar panels I'm not sure this will ever happen. Contrast lead-acid batteries which have been made from recycled materials for ages.

AFAIK this is mainly a mechanical issue. Lead-acid you can just rip the top off, drain the liquids and get to the metals dead easy whereas reducing for example a 21700 battery to its component parts is a non-trivial exercise. So many questions around EVs...

Quote:
Don't Ask Questions, Just Consume Product and Then Get Excited for Next Products

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:09 - 09 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Irezumi wrote:

White lives matter?

Yes there is a lot of hypocrisy everywhere, doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything about it where possible.

Agree that electric cars are just a replacement for petrol cars and solve none of the claimed issues, just displace it and place the problems onto someone else. Seems to be a culture of that with business leaders and politicians the world over that blaming someone else/passing on the responsibility is the only skill needed.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 09 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
Seems to be a culture of that with business leaders and politicians the world over that blaming someone else/passing on the responsibility is the only skill needed.

When I did more corporate facing work meetings often devolved into "Let's all play The Blame Game!" Always best to start with someone not at the meeting Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 137 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2