BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scams

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Scams Reply with quote

Following on from Tierbirdys 'Am I being scammed' thread, I was wondering if anyone had actually been caught out by one of these scammers?

I and everyone has had emails from Prince Jojo in Nigeria wanting to give me a million and I would like to think I am savvy enough to spot a scam but the whole point of these is you don't know you are being scammed. I would be very suspicious if I had someone phone me up out of the blue about my pensions as I am retired but wifie has a few small pensions in different places and has asked me to see what options she has with them. If I wasn't here she would be ripe for one of those pension scams. Not because she is stupid but because she is was too trusting.

Are there any really clever ones that people fall for? Just so I am pre warned. I ask after reading this short piece on scams.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63796738

OK, the bloke who had his drink spikes is a bit different but even so I thought banks had to reimburse scams. From this article, obviously not!

When he checked his Revolut app 10 minutes later, he realised nearly £56,000 had been stolen.

£56 grand swiped from you accout. Jesus, doesn't bear thinking about.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a heap of stuff online but the simple basics are listed on the National Cyber Security Centre's website.

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/phishing-scams/spot-scams

I use elements of this to brief staff at work - it's pretty much spot on. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay broke. You can't scam broke folk.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle had one of those "you owe us tax" type scams where they tell you to go to a supermarket and buy a bunch of vouchers in order to pay it back. Luckily the person working there realised it was a scam and stopped him. I don't think there's a lot of clever ones out there, they just hope to find an old person that they can easily scare into sending money.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Someone should tell my broke-ass father-in-law that Laughing

He got a call from 'Virgin Media' who told him because he was such a good customer he was going to get £600 back, if they could just have his debit card numbers. Which he duly gave them. They then said actually it would be in 2 lumps of £300, so if he could give them another bank account's card details, it'd be easier for him to get this money. Which he duly gave them Laughing

Father-in-law then realised he was on the phone to Virgin Media, and that he had been having trouble with his PC for a while now so maybe they could help. Sure, Virgin Media said, can you just go to this website and type in your details, please? Which he duly did Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:12 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like the Microsoft 'you have a virus' phone calls.

It becomes a game of 'how long can I keep them on the phone?'

My record is 37 minutes 21 seconds.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note I had to ring British Gas and got though to an Indian call centre which sounded like they were having a party in a tiled bathroom with all the taps running.
It probably was BG and just cheaping out on customer service but no way was I going to talk to a shabby bunch like that.

If I hear an Indian voice I cant help thinking scam call
call me a rassis but I've had the microsoft wanting access to my puter call a few times too and didn't fall for it.
The criminal gangs have sullied the reputation of the genuine ones
so I'll make no apologies for being suspicious af when I get an unsolicited call or email from anyone

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain this "phone" concept to me? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of missed calls from a number, 3rd time I answered it in front of the students for a laugh. It was an automated message saying I am being investigated by HMRC for national insurance fraud and I have to stay on the line to avoid prison.

So when it answered it was a very short conversation.

Them: Hello you are through to HMRC how can I help you?

Me: Apparently I am being investigated

Them: Can I take your name to look you up on the system

Me: You called me and if I am being investigated surely you have my details in front of you so why dont you tell me my name?

Them.... CLICK...........
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:49 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been bait and switched numerous times on ebay. Usually with motorcycle brake pads.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly got caught recently on Instagram after entering a competition for some free tattoos. Someone had duplicated
the tattooists site, followed me and then day or two later I got a message saying I'd won the competition. Was
all going swimmingly until they asked me to 'register' using some card details. Thinking I didn't like that so messaged back to say
I'd go to the studio in person and sort it out face to face. they agreed to that and the next day when I rocked up, learned
it was a scam. Reported and blocked the account and let the actual tattooist know someone was scamming using his name.
Fortunately my usual tattooist got in touch a day later by chance and have 4 new ones just in time for Christmas. That's
seven in total this year. Thumbs Up

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 21:29 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost lost $900 a few years ago selling a Chinese Type 97 rifle (semi-auto QBZ-95) online. Using Canada post cash on delivery service.

I sold the rifle to a guy in Calgary via COD which means that the post office takes payment before handing the parcel over and l get a postal order payment in the post. But the post office handed the parcel over without taking payment and outright refused to send me the money that l was owed. The buyer for a few months denied that he had received the rifle and l was stuck out of pocket until l gave up going after Canada post and threaten to report him to the RCMP, (l had a copy of this gun license) which made him suddenly remember that he did indeed pick up the parcel without paying. I then got a e-transfer for full payment from the buyer.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Nearly got caught recently on Instagram after entering a competition for some free tattoos.

See, much safer not to have tattoos...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
grr666 wrote:
Nearly got caught recently on Instagram after entering a competition for some free tattoos.

See, much safer not to have tattoos...

Way, way too late for that here. Laughing I just fancied a traditional stick and poke tattoo having never had one done like that
before. I'll frequent his studio as a paying customer next year no doubt.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things go in phases. The current one seems to be renewing the warranty on white goods. Usual M.O. long pause, Indian voice answers... say what you like but there are some advantages to being racist Wink

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Usual M.O. long pause, Indian voice answers... say what you like but there are some advantages to being racist Wink

A while ago, I discovered that my elderly mum had been paying way over the odds for a mobile phone/broadband contract with TalkTalk - she'd been signed up to a package which was way more than she'd ever use. I was quite angry at the time why TalkTalk had never contacted her about it and advised a more appropriate contract and was on the point of phoning them to have a go about it, but then the penny dropped - they use (or used?) exclusively South Asian call centres to phone their customers, and I can 100% guarantee that immediately on hearing that accent, my mother (who, to be fair, had been scammed over the phone several times, by foreigners) would have instantly hung up...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing with not knowing where a phone call is coming from - I had an 07 number phone me, mobile I presume, but it turned out to be EE phoning to see if they could lower my costs. I was suspicious obviously, but when I asked how I knew it was a legit call they recited my customer number, my details and my last bill figure so they were kosher. Why they use a mobile number though?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Another thing with not knowing where a phone call is coming from - I had an 07 number phone me, mobile I presume, but it turned out to be EE phoning to see if they could lower my costs. I was suspicious obviously, but when I asked how I knew it was a legit call they recited my customer number, my details and my last bill figure so they were kosher. Why they use a mobile number though?

Working from home?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Working from home?

Good point. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Someone should tell my broke-ass father-in-law that Laughing

He got a call from 'Virgin Media' who told him because he was such a good customer he was going to get £600 back, if they could just have his debit card numbers. Which he duly gave them. They then said actually it would be in 2 lumps of £300, so if he could give them another bank account's card details, it'd be easier for him to get this money. Which he duly gave them Laughing

Father-in-law then realised he was on the phone to Virgin Media, and that he had been having trouble with his PC for a while now so maybe they could help. Sure, Virgin Media said, can you just go to this website and type in your details, please? Which he duly did Laughing

But if you're broke and at your bank's limit for your withdrawals, how is anyone going to take any money off you? A few quid when you actually have some? Big deal Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
But if you're broke and at your bank's limit for your withdrawals, how is anyone going to take any money off you?

If you're broke but are still able to take care not to overdraw your bank account without their authorisation, they'll fall over themselves to increase your overdraft limit. All of which funds may be grabbed.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to find out how they operate the most common scams then have a look at this chap's Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/JimBrowning/videos

Informative and some of the stuff he pulls is highly entertaining too. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
But if you're broke and at your bank's limit for your withdrawals, how is anyone going to take any money off you?

If you're broke but are still able to take care not to overdraw your bank account without their authorisation, they'll fall over themselves to increase your overdraft limit. All of which funds may be grabbed.

And if you're constantly bouncing off your authorised limit already? Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:01 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having personal banking details is one step closer to successful identity fraud, regardless of money within said account.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:10 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my banking is done in person at my local branch. No phone or internet banking facility on my account.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2