Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Last minute road trip to Prague

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Last minute road trip to Prague Reply with quote

I need to go to Prague for next week (Mon-Fri).

Am I mad to get a Ferry Friday night, drive to Prague over the weekend, do what I need to do in Prague and then drive back the following weekend?

I have driven a lot (15-20k miles) in Europe but it was always been summer!

This in a 600bhp RWD Merc with proper winter tyres on.

It seems like it wouldn't be too bad in terms of miles. I have told some friends and colleagues and they have called me crazy but I am not sure why.

Alternative is flying but that is boring and I would need to go near Luton.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Literally no different to driving in the UK during winter except on the opposite side of the road. If you can drive your 600bhp RWD Merc in the UK right now then you can drive your 600bhp RWD Merc in Czechia.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Literally no different to driving in the UK during winter except on the opposite side of the road. If you can drive your 600bhp RWD Merc in the UK right now then you can drive your 600bhp RWD Merc in Czechia.

My thoughts exactly, not sure why people seem to think this is a mad idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

at 850 odd miles it's surprisingly not that far..

I wouldn't want to do it in one hit, but this is Dec not Jan/Feb so sure.

I would often drive to Holland in January (6hrs plus channel crossing) but that's only about half way.

I'd say take the train via Frankfurt but apparently there are no trains From Germany into Czech ??

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
at 850 odd miles it's surprisingly not that far..

I wouldn't want to do it in one hit, but this is Dec not Jan/Feb so sure.

I would often drive to Holland in January (6hrs plus channel crossing) but that's only about half way.

I'd say take the train via Frankfurt but apparently there are no trains From Germany into Czech ??

I was thinking Ferry Friday night from Harwich, arrive in Holland 8am. Drive to Leipzig area, so about 7hrs is all goes well, hotel and then the final 3 hours the next day. Gives plenty of wiggle room should something go wrong.

The train route I looked at was London - Paris - Stuttgart - Munich - Prague and it was long with long layovers as well.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

"drive to Prague over the weekend, do what I need to do in Prague and then drive back the following weekend/600bhp Mercedes"

Hmmm
I bet you is you like a secret agent or crimno or sumfin

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not?

How much is the fuel and ferry fare going to cost compared to fly and car hire?

Probably avg 55mpg at a steady cruise in that hoowur. But over 70mph I guess it will be more.

And there's the added excitement of some Lithu Gang taking the 600bhp merk off you at a crossing. At gunpoint if needs be Shocked

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the north-east of the country and we/locals just don't drive to Prague. The train is faster, cheaper and way more convenient. The trainstation is right in the center of the Prague and you can get on the Metro without even leaving the trainstation building.

Driving conditions inland are usually alright, these days anyway. The conditions may vary. Black ice is rather rare. Expect some slush on the salted roads. Otherwise, unless something unexpected happens you should be alright. There could be some/more snow when crossing the border in the mountains.

The fuel prices here are dropping, by the way.

EDIT: Flying to Prague is also not ideal, as the airport is 40 minutes to 1 hour away from the city center and the only way how to get there is either by a bus or by a taxi. If I had to go to Prague from the UK, I would just do it by the sleeper train and enjoy the scenery while passing trough Europe.

EDIT II: If you do the drive in your car, there is crap loads of stuff worth seeing on the way.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an adventure that needs to be had.
Cool
I was always up for a bit of ad hoc travel, probably still would, given half a chance. I used to try to keep my passport always in date in case something exciting came up. Laughing

There's always some sort of hassle but that always ends up being the stories that you dine out on later

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'wan, you can tell us.
is it cos some bird loves the old chocolates ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Gk7uQ1Uhw

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
EDIT: Flying to Prague is also not ideal, as the airport is 40 minutes to 1 hour away from the city center and the only way how to get there is either by a bus or by a taxi.

Pretty certain we got a tram when there a few years back straight to the centre? Was cheap as chips too. In fact the public transport was fab generally.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:00 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Last minute road trip to Prague Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

Am I mad to get a Ferry Friday night, drive to Prague over the weekend, do what I need to do in Prague and then drive back the following weekend?

No need to go all that way. I'm sure you could dip your wick in Amsterdam for only a little more.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I live in the north-east of the country and we/locals just don't drive to Prague. The train is faster, cheaper and way more convenient. The trainstation is right in the center of the Prague and you can get on the Metro without even leaving the trainstation building.

Driving conditions inland are usually alright, these days anyway. The conditions may vary. Black ice is rather rare. Expect some slush on the salted roads. Otherwise, unless something unexpected happens you should be alright. There could be some/more snow when crossing the border in the mountains.

The fuel prices here are dropping, by the way.

EDIT: Flying to Prague is also not ideal, as the airport is 40 minutes to 1 hour away from the city center and the only way how to get there is either by a bus or by a taxi. If I had to go to Prague from the UK, I would just do it by the sleeper train and enjoy the scenery while passing trough Europe.

EDIT II: If you do the drive in your car, there is crap loads of stuff worth seeing on the way.

I forgot we had a resident Czechian.

I have looked into trains more but the cost is not far off what it will cost by car but without the flexibility.

£200 to Paris
£100 Paris to Zurich
£200 Zurich Sleeper to Prague

If there was a direct from Brussels sleeper to Prague on the day/night I need to go, then it would be ideal.

Once I am in Prague, my car will be parked up and I will be using the trams as they seem to be well regarded.

MCN wrote:
Why not?

How much is the fuel and ferry fare going to cost compared to fly and car hire?

Cheapest option is flying. I calculated total transport costs to be around £450 return excluding any car hire in CZ.

Going by car will cost £800-£900 return but it will be an adventure and I can stop whenever and wherever. I also may need to change my day of departure so it is nice not having anything booked other than the ferry that I can change for free.

MCN wrote:

Probably avg 55mpg at a steady cruise in that hoowur. But over 70mph I guess it will be more.

And there's the added excitement of some Lithu Gang taking the 600bhp merk off you at a crossing. At gunpoint if needs be Shocked

55mpg Laughing . I will be lucky to get 28mpg.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the public transportation system in Prague is very good.

The Metro is very convenient and let's not forget about the abundance of tram/bus/trolleybus/river ferry... lines throughout the city. Also, it's a one ticket gets you everywhere kind of system, so you only buy one ticket and use whatever you want. The last time I was in Prague I could also use the ''one ticket'' to ride the cable car/funicular up the Petrin hill. That's the one with a watchtower on the top that resembles the Eiffel tower.

I'd consider getting the 24 hour (or even the 72 hour) public transportation ticket.
Here's what tickets are available https://pid.cz/en/travelling-around-prague/

By the way, the weather starts to get wintry here. Temperatures dropping, rain/snow all over the country. Nothing I'd worry about though. The main roads and motorways are always well taken care of.

NOTE:
From November 1 to March 31 you must have winter tyres whenever there is a continuous layer of snow, ice or frost on the road surface, or whenever these phenomena can be expected due to climate conditions. When the law says winter tyres, it means winter tyres with corresponding pattern, i.e. at least 4 mm of the tread pattern, when driving a car in impaired conditions as described above.

If it is found in the winter period in a road check that the driver does not use winter tyres as required, he/she will face a fine of up to CZK 2000. If this offence is passed to the administrative proceedings, a fine of up to CZK 2,500 may be imposed.

Also, do not forget about the traffic sign "Winter Equipment". Where the "Winter Equipment" traffic sign is placed, the vehicle must have winter tyres under any circumstances. A similar situation is about the traffic sign ''Winter Chains''.

ThunderGuts wrote:
Pretty certain we got a tram when there a few years back straight to the centre? Was cheap as chips too. In fact the public transport was fab generally.

The only way how to get from the airport to the city is by a bus, taxi or you can also hire a car, walk, cycle. They do plan to build a Metro line to the airport, though.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
G'wan, you can tell us.
is it cos some bird loves the old chocolates ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Gk7uQ1Uhw

The last time I was in Czechia was to stir the guts of some girl I met online from the Nymburk district Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fortunate that RhynoCZ was never disheartened by bcf behaviour/s and he Euro-Flounced.
He has proven his worth having him on board for this thread.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
It's fortunate that RhynoCZ was never disheartened by bcf behaviour/s and he Euro-Flounced.
He has proven his worth having him on board for this thread.

Helpful and interesting.
Why can't Val be more like our Rhyno? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong with this.

Cheap winter tyres.

Plenty of expensive executive cars in europe used every day.

Last time I had to buy winter tyres to drive abroad, I left them on and wore them until they had to be changed naturally. They lasted 35,000 miles, which I thought was cool considering they cost £60 for four, plus £20 delivery- but that was in 2016.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a spanner has been thrown in the works. 2 of my winter tyres won't fit my rims. New winter tyres are £200+ each in this size and not even sure the garage can receive them in time.

Looks like I may be flying after all!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you actually need winter tyres?
A quick look shows the weather and temps in Prague are similar to
what we're experiencing here

we don need no stinkin winter tyres

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Do you actually need winter tyres?
A quick look shows the weather and temps in Prague are similar to
what we're experiencing here

we don need no stinkin winter tyres

You're probably right, although it is a long drive and you must cross a mountain range to get there.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The German rule is that you must have winter tyres if driving in slushy, snowy or icy conditions.

As the majority of the miles I would be doing are in Germany, I don't really want to risk it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
The German rule is that you must have winter tyres if driving in slushy, snowy or icy conditions.

As opposed to 'all-season' ones, then? Do all German car-owners really actually swap their tyres over twice a year? And therefore maintain a spare set of 4 wheels/tyres at all times (even if they don't have a garage/shed etc)? Shocked
And if so, does the rule definitely apply to foreign visitors too?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
As opposed to 'all-season' ones, then? Do all German car-owners really actually swap their tyres over twice a year? And therefore maintain a spare set of 4 wheels/tyres at all times (even if they don't have a garage/shed etc)? Shocked

I'd say they do and all season tyres are acceptable. Just make sure it's got the right markings and that they've got sufficient depth of the tread pattern on all four wheels. Germany 1.6mm winter/summer; Czech republic 4.0mm winter, 1.6mm summer.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
And if so, does the rule definitely apply to foreign visitors too?

What do you think? Thinking

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he's got 600 bhp !!
he can just power through!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2