Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Life’s unanswered questions.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:00 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

This is not about the meaning of life, this is about the strange puzzles that stump us all!

#1 Why oh why is it that when you get an itch , you cannot ignore it?
I was laying in bed yesterday and I was all nice and comfortable.
Why do I then get an itch that means I have to move to scratch it.
The itch just will not go away until you’ve scratched it?

#2 Why oh why does every time I sit down with the paper and a cup of tea, does my cat come and sit on my newspaper?
The little sod has been outside all day and now is the time for him to come in and be a nuisance, bless him.? Confused

#3 Why oh why is it that every time I wear a white shirt, I spill my tea down my shirt , or tomato sauce down it? Evil or Very Mad

#4 Why oh why is it that all year long, you abide by the speed limits and the day you push your luck, there’s a piggie-Van and speed cameras on your route?
You haven’t seen a single copper all fecking year!

#5 Why oh why is it that every time you need to get somewhere in a hurry, you can’t find your keys and there’s a traffic jam Shocked !

What are your life puzzles?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Why do I love boats and women. I'd be a millionaire if I could have ignored them.

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 10:36 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why we bother!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
This is not about the meaning of life, this is about the strange puzzles that stump us all!

#2 Why oh why does every time I sit down with the paper and a cup of tea, does my cat come and sit on my newspaper?
The little sod has been outside all day and now is the time for him to come in and be a nuisance, bless him.? Confused

#3 Why oh why is it that every time I wear a white shirt, I spill my tea down my shirt , or tomato sauce down it? Evil or Very Mad

#4 Why oh why is it that all year long, you abide by the speed limits and the day you push your luck, there’s a piggie-Van and speed cameras on your route?

#5 Why oh why is it that every time you need to get somewhere in a hurry, you can’t find your keys and there’s a traffic jam Shocked !

These are just altercations with entropy.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
pepperami wrote:

These are just altercations with entropy.

Yes but peppers aspires to emulate Maxwell's Demon...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:04 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Possibly because you spill something on all of your shirts, but you can see it on white shirts?

pepperami wrote:

Probably because you do actually push your luck more often than your brain would allow you to believe but you remember the times where your license is genuinely at risk.

pepperami wrote:

Because again you associate the two. It's possible that traffic jams and lost keys happen more frequently than you think, and your brain just remembers the ones which cause you hardship? Or it's possible that rushing means you're more likely to lose your keys. The traffic is not within your control though.

Mostly explained by neuroscience tbh. The human brain is more fallible than it lets you think it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Mostly explained by neuroscience tbh. The human brain is more fallible than it lets you think it is.

How is memory stored? What is the physical/physiological mechanism?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:30 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I can't tell you the chemistry, but emotional and sensational association forms stronger memories than just looking at stuff and trying to remember. That's why making up a story about items in a memory game works better than just saying the objects out loud for example.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna lie, every time I wear a white shirt, I spill something on it. Never happens with black or blue shirts, only ever a white one.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Ok, I'm bored so I'm going to try to answer my own question.
This is from memory ( Smile ), haven't looked it up again recently, so there may be some holes in this Laughing And it's a far from proven theory, or even complete, but I like it:

Within the brain (within neurons?), there are structures called microtubules (as far as I'm aware, this much is known to be the case). Think of a cob of corn, with the kernels arranged in a spiral pattern down the length of the core, but millions of these structures - probably billions (multiplied by the billions of neurons!).
In some way, signals received through the senses rearrange the placing (?) of these 'kernels'. The arrangement is how memory is stored, but it is not into a permanent arrangement, and so memories can 'fade' or adjust over time.
There apparently have been shown to be similar microtubule structures within other organs in the body (heart, for one), so perhaps memory isn't only tied to activity within the brain. So for e.g., emotions can affect memory when tied in with physical reaction and/or experience to/of events by other parts of the body. Which may be why some memories can produce a physical reaction...emotional response?
Somewhere within all this there are thought to be quantum processes at work. This is why some think that just producing a "neural network" won't even get us close to reproducing the functions of the human brain via technology, or true A.I., never mind something even better. They think that the computer folk aren't even going to get vaguely close to the complexity required if they assume that this complexity in the brain only goes down to neuron level, which obviously the computer folk don't like to be told! Laughing
Or something like that Smile

If anyone knows of any alternative theories, I'm all ears; this neuroscience thing is fascinating!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBP is convinced you won't get true AI without embodiment as in a brain in a jar is not a person and that what we are is heavily defined within our local environment (i.e. the body.)

I'd mark that down as amusing academic speculation but his brother-in-law used to work for Intel so Jordan seems to know a bit more about technology than is usual for people in his field.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
JBP is convinced you won't get true AI without embodiment as in a brain in a jar is not a person and that what we are is heavily defined within our local environment (i.e. the body.)

I'd mark that down as amusing academic speculation...

I'd say you could easily think of some good reasons why that might be so, not least some of what I have written above, if the microtubule idea/research is found to be on the right track. But even if not, the association of physical sensation, emotion and memory would indicate it to be true, even if by some other process. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think that has to be the case. At the very least, I think cognitive processes would have to be very different without the experience of physical embodiment.
What is it like to be a computer? Smile

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do men have nipples

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do women have a penis?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are all the foods I enjoy, the ones that give me an exploding bottom?
For example: I love soft cheeses, but I can’t eat to much without consequences Shocked .

Why is it that when I dropped my change in the street (today) the pound coins roll down the drain? Sad .

Earlier in my life (teens) : why did the Women I wanted , didn’t want me, however the women I wasn’t interested in, were all over me like a bad suit???? Laughing Laughing .

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Why are all the foods I enjoy, the ones that give me an exploding bottom?
For example: I love soft cheeses, but I can’t eat to much without consequences Shocked ....

Earlier in my life (teens) : why did the Women I wanted , didn’t want me, however the women I wasn’t interested in, were all over me like a bad suit???? Laughing Laughing .

I can't help but think there might be a connection between these two somehow Laughing

Try not to eat TOO MUCH soft cheese, and see how your entire life transforms Wink

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me! Soft cheeses are a rare treat in the Pepperami household! Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
why do men have nipples

So they can take hormones and breast feed, duh:

Transgender woman able to breastfeed in first documented case - 'The patient took a gradually increasing regimen of the female hormones progesterone and estradiol, stimulated her chest with a breast milk pump'.

More lighthearted reply; so your mistress can apply clothes pegs to them Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:19 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually men (Not transgender) have been proved to lactate so its probably hardwired into our species bearing in mind how many mothers and children could potentially die in childbirth without medical intervention.

This isn't a new thing, it'll be an evolutionary thing because of the size of.our brains.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 07 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Actually men (Not transgender) have been proved to lactate so its probably hardwired into our species bearing in mind how many mothers and children could potentially die in childbirth without medical intervention.

This isn't a new thing, it'll be an evolutionary thing because of the size of.our brains.

It's to do with the early development in the womb:

'Men have nipples because nipples develop in the womb before embryos become distinctly male or female.
So by the time a Y chromosome kicks in to distinguish a fetus as male, the nipples have already secured their place'.

The rest of the article goes into Galactorrhea and all the health causes if you're interested.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:55 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
a bunch of neuroscientific tiddly om pom pom

Quote:
this neuroscience thing is fascinating!

This is *exactly* the reason I have avoided reading any of the academic papers by my Italian psychiatrist chum. I copped a quick glance once at some coffee-table books he had done, and checked out his references, it was all WAY above my puny little head. I'm happy sticking with his patients and their funny little ways, don't need to know that neuroscience behind it all. Its one of the few medsec roles I've had where the front line is more interesting to me than the research stuff.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:00 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

These are just altercations with entropy.[/ quote]

Have I wandered into a game of Mornington Crescent? Eh?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

*buzzes in*

Hesitation, repetition and deviation!!

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 09 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Hmm? More like trying to understand Murphy’s Law???

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 12 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Life’s unanswered questions. Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Islander wrote:

Hmm? More like trying to understand Murphy’s Law???

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SrxRt4fvC2Y/S1SrHlA-eNI/AAAAAAAAHAs/KNtWlHrh2-4/s1600/generic.JPG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2