Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

universal hand muffs?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:54 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: universal hand muffs? Reply with quote

hi all

with this recent cold weather (and I say the same thing every year) I'm in the market for some hand muffs, currently riding a MT09, any recommendations for easy to fit universal hand muffs?

thanks

Last edited by bigdom86 on 12:34 - 15 Dec 2022; edited 1 time in total

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: universal hand muffs? Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
any recommendations for easy to hit universal hand muffs?

honestly i've been able to punch and/or slap all of the hand muffs i've encountered without much difficulty

/coat

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:34 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: universal hand muffs? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:
any recommendations for easy to hit universal hand muffs?

honestly i've been able to punch and/or slap all of the hand muffs i've encountered without much difficulty

/coat

Laughing damn my mild dyslexia

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some Tucano Urbano ones last year and although I never fitted them the quality seems excellent compared to the cheaper ones I've seen in person. Going to fit them to the girlfriends scooter this weekend actually since she rides far more than I do in the winter Laughing

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:50 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I bought some Tucano Urbano ones last year and although I never fitted them the quality seems excellent compared to the cheaper ones I've seen in person. Going to fit them to the girlfriends scooter this weekend actually since she rides far more than I do in the winter Laughing

cheers these look pretty good and easy to fit

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:38 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
Ayrton wrote:

cheers these look pretty good and easy to fit

They are great, had a set and I managed a 50+ mile ride down the motorway in light snow (stupidly cold winds also) with no gloves under these muffs, obviously wouldn't do that again but it was crazy comfy.

Add some heated grips and thats some toasty fingers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Yamaha heated grips on my old 09. Well worth the outlay, I don't like padded gloves. Got a set fitted on my MTen
right from day one. Wanted Yamaha ones but couldn't get any anywhere and nor could Fowlers. A shame because there
are integrated menus for them on the TFT to switch them on/off and set the heat. Giving Daytona ones a whirl this time
round, no separate control box on these at least.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 16 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Had Yamaha heated grips on my old 09. Well worth the outlay, I don't like padded gloves. Got a set fitted on my MTen
right from day one. Wanted Yamaha ones but couldn't get any anywhere and nor could Fowlers. A shame because there
are integrated menus for them on the TFT to switch them on/off and set the heat. Giving Daytona ones a whirl this time
round, no separate control box on these at least.

Did you find they got hot enough though?
I had a set of OEM yamaha heated grips, with the control on the left grip on my MT09.
I've had a few different sets of heated grips and have to say that the Yamaha grips were the worst in terms of heat. Think they ran on 3A so will never be as good as a full 4A set. They did look neat, and were fine for spring mornings, but not good enough for winter, they were also £££ compared to Oxfords etc.

Edit, just noticed you have them on the MT10 rather than your MT09, think they use a newer version of the grips than what I used.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:35 - 16 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: universal hand muffs? Reply with quote

If you don't have hand/bash guards and are going faster than town-speeds, go for ones that hold onto the bar ends, or you'll find them pushing against the levers as the speed goes up.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 16 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

Did you find they got hot enough though?
I had a set of OEM yamaha heated grips, with the control on the left grip on my MT09.
I've had a few different sets of heated grips and have to say that the Yamaha grips were the worst in terms of heat. Think they ran on 3A so will never be as good as a full 4A set. They did look neat, and were fine for spring mornings, but not good enough for winter, they were also £££ compared to Oxfords etc.

Edit, just noticed you have them on the MT10 rather than your MT09, think they use a newer version of the grips than what I used.

I did have Yamaha branded grips on my MT09, and you're right compared to many they are expensive as F.
I know the Yamaha ones had 3 different output settings dependent on whether they were fitted to something
smaller like a 125 with a less robust electrical system than a bigger bike. Is it possible they were on a lower
output setting? I have to say that for the riding I do, which rarely is outside of April-October, any heated grips will do
but I didn't want the additional clutter of an ugly control box as well. OEM ones would have been preferable on the new
bike since there's a menu setting for them on the TFT screen using the thumbwheel on the right side to set them.
However, so far I'm happy enough with the Daytona ones although I have to say the right grip heats up faster,
probably because it's mounted on a plastic throttle grip rather than directly on the metal tube of the handlebar.
The control button is almost invisible with just a single LED to tell you what they are doing at any given time. Still quite
dear though. I don't have any 'winter' gloves among my kit, I don't like riding in those one bit so have just unpadded
summer gloves. Heated grips are a must for me. Wouldn't have a bike without them.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-de554/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2716/18358/heated-grips-78-4-level-built-in-switch-w-protection-open-end__03389.1645549358.jpg?c=2

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 16 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I don't have any 'winter' gloves among my kit, I don't like riding in those one bit so have just unpadded
summer gloves.

fwiw same here - i've tried winter gloves but all they seem to do is rob me of feel; i've found it's loads more effective to just keep my core layered up (several loose woolly layers). My hands are cold but easily bearable - although this last few weeks have been bitter. Can't even get the bike down the drive tbh.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 16 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Can't even get the bike down the drive tbh.

Mines due in for first service on Monday. I may have to reschedule. The gritter hasn't been anywhere near my estate
despite the 5% council tax increase. I'm not chucking an almost brand new minter down the road just to keep Fowlers
happy. I'm a proud fair weather biker, I thought I was doing well going out for a spin ten days ago when it was 4 celcius.
My next door neighbour informs me that the weather is to warm up a bit at the weekend, but I can't see it myself.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 16 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Mines due in for first service on Monday.

wont the dealer pick up/deliver the bike?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:26 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
grr666 wrote:

Mines due in for first service on Monday.

wont the dealer pick up/deliver the bike?

Certainly not for free and I have already arranged the courtesy bike which works out cheaper than an Uber home
and then another back to collect the bike. It's due in first thing too so the roads may still be very cold.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:52 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

but the really odd thing is i can wear heavy gloves no more and for the life of me i cant work out why if i do wher it cause real bad pain and weeknes in my hand

Effective diameter your hand has to grip?
I've noticed issues before with add-on heated grips ontop of normal ones that increase the diameter a good bit, especially with the right hand that does more.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:52 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

this, much better than oxford, the fake fur lining makes them much warmer

G wrote:
If you don't have hand/bash guards and are going faster than town-speeds, go for ones that hold onto the bar ends, or you'll find them pushing against the levers as the speed goes up.

they do this too

Last edited by colin1 on 01:43 - 19 Dec 2022; edited 1 time in total
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tucano Urbano ones, easy to fit and with the heated grips I ride all year round on summer gloves unless its raining where I put my goretex ones on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
I have tucano Urbano ones, easy to fit and with the heated grips I ride all year round on summer gloves unless its raining where I put my goretex ones on.

I totally agree, this is my setup. IMO They are excellent.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as the above two posts, I commuted all year round no matter the weather, snow, rain etc on my old Deauville using a set of Tucanos, heated grips and Alpinestar leather race gloves....never got cold, hands usually burning from the grips. The Tucanos keep the rain off as well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1