Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CCTV: the ultimate minefield?!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: CCTV: the ultimate minefield?! Reply with quote

So I've decided it's time to get CCTV fitted to the house, not because of any break-ins that have happened, but as both a preventative measure and to give peace of mind when away from home.

I've done a fair bit of research on this over the weekend and have arrived at the follow conclusions;

- I want wired rather than wireless (both for hacking security and to prevent WiFi blockers, although I realise the former can be mitigated with E2E encryption, the WiFi blocking bit worries me a bit as it sounds like any easy way to disable someone's cameras)

- Pretty set on power-over-ethernet type cameras as these will simplify the fitting a bit (although I'm under no illusions that fitting will still be a PITA)

- I don't need that many cameras realistically; 3 is the minimum, a 4th would be handy (most sets seem to come with 4)

- I want something with built-in recording capability so I don't have to pay a subscription service, i.e. a NVR system

It turns out, that's the easy bit. Shocked The more I now dig into this the more complicated it gets and my head is now spinning away. The "obvious" kits are the likes of Swann, but they get at best mixed reviews. Then there are the likes of Lorex, which get good reviews but generally have to be bought direct and imported from the USA, cue being bent over a barrel by the customs chappies with their marigolds lubed and ready. Then there's HikVision which seems again to offer good quality, not exactly cheap and there seems to be all sorts of concerns about the company behind them as it's majority owned by the Chinese state.

So . . . where does this leave me? Massively confused is the answer. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place; either get some "budget" brand, all of which seem to have many problems (e.g. Swann), get something where the Chinese State will be watching my every move, or take out a second mortgage and get Mobotix (so valuable it probably needs another CCTV system to make sure it doesn't get nicked itself).

Back down to earth; does anyone have any experience of these various CCTV systems and any real-world recommendations? Have I got my head in the clouds if I think I can get a decent system for £400-£500?

Cheers. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:59 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPC always seem to have loads of CCTV stuff for sale in their catalogues. No idea if it's any good.
https://cpc.farnell.com

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta - although the same conundrum still exists!

This is the sort of kit I keep looking at:

https://uk.swann.com/swnvk-879904/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtICdBhCLARIsALUBFcHEgZqmEgSlB9ADzfJoUTNe35Pacbh2Q88jw-BYhH4Ho1tUeGBs3FYaAvw-EALw_wcB

It's within budget and seems to tick the boxes, just see stuff in the reviews like it takes several seconds to detect movement (perhaps not an issue if it loop-records, which presumably it will do, as could always wind back to just before the time stamp to get some footage) and the NVR is noisy apparently but I'm guessing this might be the case with any system!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:25 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that Chinese intelligence and espionage really aren't interested in what time your amazon deliveries are.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 cameras and a video doorbell all by Eufy. Back garden camera is 1080p, has a large double security light built in
and runs off the mains it has internal storage for footage. Side gate camera is 2k, battery powered and is still on it's
first charge, it went up in May Thumbs Up . Same type of 2k camera on the front over the driveway has been charged 3 times
since install but sees a lot more 'traffic'. Doorbell camera is a dual camera model, one looking forward and one looking
downwards for keeping an eye on parcels left on doorstep it can run off battery or hard wired to mains with an adaptor. Very
happy with them all, there is an encrypted base station data storage unit indoors which doubles as a chime for the doorbell.
It records what the doorbell cam, drive cam and gate cam picks up. All footage can only be accessed via a phone registered
to the base station and floodlight camera. Easy setup, no ongoing fees but an option to add cloud storage if I want to. All have
two way speech, built in alarms on all of them, mini floodlights, IR night vision on all of them and they can be linked via simple
routines in app so when one is triggered it wakes the others ready to record. Good support, easy to use app, simple setup
of activation zones, can be set to only recognise human movement and ignore the neighbours cat. Easy to switch off
completely if needed or snooze for a peset period of time and all of them speak to Alexa who verbally alerts in the house
when they are triggered and they can be viewed on my Echo show devices. Very decent quality footage from all of them.
My folks have Ring cameras and frankly they are garbage in comparison.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Pretty sure that Chinese intelligence and espionage really aren't interested in what time your amazon deliveries are.

I expect the constant stream of data is a more lucrative side-hack.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:54 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, there's not really much value in knowing that the terrier from no. 23 is the one that keeps crapping on your front lawn. If you want to store footage offline, use a stand alone cheap PC in the loft to.record it all and then there's not even any connection to the Internet.

You could even vpn it and firewall them from the rest of a system that is connected to the Internet.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 19:04 - 19 Dec 2022; edited 1 time in total

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I have 3 cameras and a video doorbell all by Eufy.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/16/23512952/anker-eufy-delete-promises-camera-privacy-encryption-authentication
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

Ah well, I've bought them now. At least they won't see how often I masturbate unless I take that habit outside.
Mr Bezos on the other hand has probably had many an eyeful. Laughing I've gotten to an age where I really don't care who
knows how depraved I am. Honestly, it's a bit of a thrill to think someone's watching.

Last edited by grr666 on 20:32 - 19 Dec 2022; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yup, the only question is, do you want to help sustain a Chinese company, with the likelihood of it being tied in to such a distasteful regime?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:11 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Yup, the only question is, do you want to help sustain a Chinese company, with the likelihood of it being tied in to such a distasteful regime?

thats exactly the same question you should ask yourself about just about anything you buy.

I was talking about whether or not using cameras are a state security issue, not about whether or not a country's economy is a risk to your own.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

thats exactly the same question you should ask yourself about just about anything you buy.

Agree. Not always easy these days, but I think the effort should be made.

Quote:
I was talking about whether or not using cameras are a state security issue, not about whether or not a country's economy is a risk to your own.

Yes, and I agreed with you. Take it while you've got it Nobby, it's rare enough! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I expect the constant stream of data is a more lucrative side-hack.

What kind of data would they be harvesting from this, and what might it potentially be used for?
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many moons ago I used to be a CCTV installer for pubs and restaurants, so proper kit demanded by licensing officers.

The cheapest and easiest set up is "consumer" network cameras you can pick up from Currys. You could get ones that store some footage on a memory card and just use the Interwebs for a live view, no subs required. The major downside is someone stealing the cameras!

TBF the linked Swann set up of 4 IP cameras + NVR would be perfectly fine for what you need. The alternative is analogue DVR technology which is what I used to install. 4x 4k analogue cameras + 2TB 4k 4-channel DVR probably comes out at ~£450 inc. VAT.

https://puretechsecurity.co.uk/viper-4k2
https://puretechsecurity.co.uk/viper/hd-analogue-cameras/4k-cameras

Not sure whether Pure Tech would sell to you but I still have a trade account with them if you need anything.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternative it seems is to trust opening my network up to Hikvision and get their higher grade stuff; probably only get a few cameras for the price of a much bigger setup from Swann, but it would be genuine 4k and better quality I imagine. I've read some things about the Swann kit suggesting there are limitations on setting the cameras not to trigger false alerts (I have both trees and a busy road - I can imagine false alarms a-plenty otherwise).

Definitely want to go PoE, not analogue, simpler wiring.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, the issue isn't Chinese vs non Chinese, it is just whether you want remote viewing or not. If you do, then the ONLY secure way to do it is have the feed going to your own webserver.

If you buy a kit from a company that gives you an app to view your cameras remotely, all your feeds go through them and I trust Ring etc the same amount I trust Eufy or whoever. Not at all.

When I get round to a CCTV, it will be a self contained system recording to SSD and then I will be able to access it remotely via a direct connection. No cloud bullshit, no trusting third parties other than the usual ones I need to for internet access.

FWIW, I work with Hikvision kit for work and it is really high quality kit. The only better stuff has been another level more expensive. You don't need to worry about China snooping if you don't actually connect to a wide open network.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:24 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
FWIW, I work with Hikvision kit for work and it is really high quality kit. The only better stuff has been another level more expensive. You don't need to worry about China snooping if you don't actually connect to a wide open network.

Where I work, I have to handle these bits of kit and their restriction to the internet, I would never install one of these Laughing The amount of livestreamed data to China datacentres was obscene. I work with schools, and they are budget, so schools buy them.

However, I use Blink cameras which are cloud based but are for my external ones only (end of drive, in the garage, front door) so I can see them when I am away, my internal/non-internet ones are all hard wired non-branded into my own NVR with a massive disk attached.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Where I work, I have to handle these bits of kit and their restriction to the internet, I would never install one of these Laughing The amount of livestreamed data to China datacentres was obscene. I work with schools, and they are budget, so schools buy them.

What kit of theirs did you use? We use various PT cameras, NVR's and control panels but they are all on mostly closed networks with only select feeds accessed by remote connection.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Reolink, it's the 4K/5MP x4 camera kit off Amazon, was around £280 on sale I believe. I also bought weather resistant cat5e which was another £70ish on top, I used quite a lot of it Shocked

It's the only CCTV system I've ever owned/installed so it's all I know. The phone app is great, nice to check up on the house. Extremely reliable, never had to reboot it or physically touch the NVR in 2 years, lucky as it's stashed in the attic. Quality is excellent, sound is a bit tinny.

Regrets: the HDD is a bit small, I can only get about 8 days worth of footage at max quality settings, easily fixed but I'm lazy. The cameras themselves are a bit old fashioned/industrial looking, I wish I had gone for a kit with those turret style ones, they blend in a bit more.

Took me a full day to install everything, I used about 120M of cable, most of that time was spent cleating/cable strapping it about the place. Proper installers won't have cable on show, my house isn't suited to that, but it's definitely safer and less hassle. Terminating the cable was a bit fiddley, plenty of YouTube videos about to show you how - strongly recommend a cable tester.

As far as I know my NVR only works on a wired ethernet connection, so this was actually the biggest issue I had... until I discovered TP-Link Powerline, luckily my router and NVR are on the same ring circuit and it's perfect. If the connection is bad I would think the app would be laggy and annoying to use.

You also need to be careful where you fit the cameras, they can't be too high up really, and obviously you want to cover all doors and windows. Lots of videos on YouTube about placement - good to do some research before buying. NVR location will dictate a lot of stuff too.

Also recommend a doorbell camera, Eufy being my preference.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Huh? PoE requires crimping RJ45 plugs whereas analogue just needs a screwdriver (both can use CAT5e/6.)

The Artist wrote:
If you buy a kit from a company that gives you an app to view your cameras remotely, all your feeds go through them and I trust Ring etc the same amount I trust Eufy or whoever. Not at all.

Not necessarily. If you add a DVR/NVR via serial number to the app then the unit has to go to the manufacturer to defeat router firewalls, i.e. NAT traversal. However if you instead open forwarding ports to the DVR/NVR's LAN address you can go direct. Depends on the manufacturer/model but you can usually switch all the tracking and auto-updates off.

The Superlive app for the Viper unit I previously mentioned stores login info "in the Cloud" (probably China) but you can skip that and store locally on your Android/Apple device. Direct connect, no CCP membership required Smile

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:54 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the google kit. Subscription is a tenner a month on 3 cameras. I went for it because the devices get updates for a long time, I'm fairly sure the overall service will stick around as long as I need it to, and I'm confident about where my data is going and who can see it.

Before discounting a standard wifi based setup, think about the threats you're protecting against. If you're seriously concerned about a targeted attack with a broad spectrum wifi blocker, you should also be concerned about having your electricity supply cut. So that means having a UPS on the cameras, internet line, and hard drive storage.

If you're concerned about getting robbed while on holiday, you need cloud storage, otherwise the thieves can take the hard drive storage with them.

I would go for a normal system from a big name. Avoid cheap no-name crap, its no different from buying a padlock on ebay.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Before discounting a standard wifi based setup, think about the threats you're protecting against. If you're seriously concerned about a targeted attack with a broad spectrum wifi blocker, you should also be concerned about having your electricity supply cut. So that means having a UPS on the cameras, internet line, and hard drive storage.

If you're concerned about getting robbed while on holiday, you need cloud storage, otherwise the thieves can take the hard drive storage with them.

I would go for a normal system from a big name. Avoid cheap no-name crap, its no different from buying a padlock on ebay.

I was under (the perhaps false) impression that WiFi blockers are a "standard toolkit" item these days, a bit like the signal repeater things people use to steal keyless cars? To cut the power supply to the house would be a lot trickier, but I do take your point on the cloud vs local storage (I wonder if any NVR systems replicate to the cloud?).

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

Huh? PoE requires crimping RJ45 plugs whereas analogue just needs a screwdriver (both can use CAT5e/6.)

I get that, but there won't be that many to do and it means I can get away with smaller holes everywhere. A colleague has some new-fangled crimping tool which apparently makes it a doddle.

Easy-X wrote:

Not necessarily. If you add a DVR/NVR via serial number to the app then the unit has to go to the manufacturer to defeat router firewalls, i.e. NAT traversal. However if you instead open forwarding ports to the DVR/NVR's LAN address you can go direct. Depends on the manufacturer/model but you can usually switch all the tracking and auto-updates off.

The Superlive app for the Viper unit I previously mentioned stores login info "in the Cloud" (probably China) but you can skip that and store locally on your Android/Apple device. Direct connect, no CCP membership required Smile

That's interesting; so are you suggesting that if I had a HikVision setup, I could potentially connect directly to the NVR rather than via The State's UberDataCentres? I expect the "smart" alerts etc.. take place within the NVR itself, so it would still send them out to my 'phone . . . unsure if the app would still work though?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know the Qvis stuff so I couldn't speak to the HikVision... probably, the Chinese aren't known for their imagination Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2