Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2016 Ford Galaxy 27mpg?!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:32 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: 2016 Ford Galaxy 27mpg?! Reply with quote

Hi guys

Hoping someone has some knowledge on this...

Bought a 2016 Ford Galaxy 2.0 TDCi Powershiift a few months ago to use as a taxi. Had about 116k on the clock and now has around 132k.

I appreciate it was high mileage for a new vehicle on the fleet but the price was right, I didn't feel I could turn it down.

Has been used as an executive private hire car elsewhere in the country beforehand.

Since I bought the car I have struggled to get 30mpg even driving as economically as possible. Normal day-to-day driving returns an average of 27mpg.

Was giving the following fault codes:

P06DD-00 engine oil pressure control circuit performance / stuck off

P061B-F1 internal control module torque calculation performance

Got a new genuine oil pressure control solenoid fitted with a full service, the fault codes went away but the 27mpg remained.

Got the EGR valve blanked off and the DPF gutted (with an appropriate remap to delete the EGR and DPF) in the hope it would help with mpg. Has made negligible difference!

Car drives nice and smooth but still struggles with mpg.

Both fault codes have come back after around 16k along with fault codes relating to oil degradation. Is going in for a service today.

I fail to believe that the oil pressure solenoid has gone fault after only 16k but am wondering if it's playing a part in the poor mpg.

Any ideas? My mechanics are at a loss. Clutching at straws have suggested it may need new injectors but it's a lot to fork out on a hope and a prayer.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:01 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: 2016 Ford Galaxy 27mpg?! Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
Hi guys

Hoping someone has some knowledge on this...

Bought a 2016 Ford Galaxy 2.0 TDCi Powershiift a few months ago to use as a taxi. Had about 116k on the clock and now has around 132k.

I appreciate it was high mileage for a new vehicle on the fleet but the price was right, I didn't feel I could turn it down.

Has been used as an executive private hire car elsewhere in the country beforehand.

Since I bought the car I have struggled to get 30mpg even driving as economically as possible. Normal day-to-day driving returns an average of 27mpg.

Was giving the following fault codes:

P06DD-00 engine oil pressure control circuit performance / stuck off

P061B-F1 internal control module torque calculation performance

Got a new genuine oil pressure control solenoid fitted with a full service, the fault codes went away but the 27mpg remained.

Got the EGR valve blanked off and the DPF gutted (with an appropriate remap to delete the EGR and DPF) in the hope it would help with mpg. Has made negligible difference!

Car drives nice and smooth but still struggles with mpg.

Both fault codes have come back after around 16k along with fault codes relating to oil degradation. Is going in for a service today.

I fail to believe that the oil pressure solenoid has gone fault after only 16k but am wondering if it's playing a part in the poor mpg.

Any ideas? My mechanics are at a loss. Clutching at straws have suggested it may need new injectors but it's a lot to fork out on a hope and a prayer.

Sorry I can't help but I would like to point out that if being a Ford wasn't bad enough you and I both got shafted with the Powershift transmission. At least in the US Ford fix mine for free every time it breaks bits.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:07 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been warned about the powershift gearboxes being problematic however it was running ok when I got it and I got the car for a steal so figured even if I have to put a new gearbox in it at a later date, I'll still have got my money's worth out of it.

So far the gearbox has been fine, touch wood, and my mechanic said it's a "gen 2" powershift gearbox which is much better and more reliable than the "gen 1" ones, although still far from perfect.

Need to replace a few more vehicles on the fleet in the first half of next year and wondering whether it's worth getting any more Galaxys. The only realy viable alternatives are the SEAT Alhambra / VW Sharan which are far superior in terms of reliability (although I have heard horror stories about the DSG gearboxes on them as well, probably more reliable than the Powershifts on the Fords but more expensive to fix/replace) but I think the Galaxys are more plush and comfortable inside.

My remap guy said these Peugeot engines are crap on fuel, he has the same engine in his van, and also that the Powershift boxes sap power which will be contributing towards the poor mpg. If that's true, whichever way you look at it, I should be getting more than 27mpg!!!

Going down the VAG route for future vehicles seems to be the sensible choice, but I do just like these Galaxys.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:05 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t help in your problems but a colleague has a 2011 Galaxy 2.0TDCi PowerShift box he gets between 40-45mpg so I’d expect you to get similar or better with a newer model.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldnt you be better off asking this on a Ford specific forum?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Pot luck on that one. The brake problem with my wife's Ford was solved on this very forum. The owner and car specific forums were no help at all Sad

27mpg is bad given it should be >50mpg. I would say bad injectors but my Skoda Fabia had a bad injector pretty much from new (eventually swapped under warranty) and a) it didn't make much odds to the mpg and b) if fuel is being pissed away you'd probably see downstream problems e.g. lambda sensor burn-outs or cat damage.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of mpg are you expecting?
Taxi work in a city has to be the least economical way to use a car
in terms of mpg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:00 - 23 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
in terms of mpg

27mpg is still tripe, around town my Type R gets about 30!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 23 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Even my Jag get's high 30's round town and well over 40 outside.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 23 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

My Isuzu pickup gets that towing two fat cows is that the same
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:50 - 23 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

My Isuzu pickup gets that towing two fat cows is that the same

Not sure I see your point? My car, which is a stupid 'performance' car running on petrol is far better on fuel, and thats running with full decat so consumes fuel..

Ford Galaxy
2.0 TDCi 163 PowerShift
47.1–49.6 mpg

vs

Type R
31.0–31.7
Official MPG
23.2–37.6
Real MPG

27mpg is shit for around town, even in an auto diesel.

Would be sorting the codes first, then getting the fuel system checked.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 23 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Not sure I see your point? My car, which is a stupid 'performance' car running on petrol is far better on fuel, and thats running with full decat so consumes fuel..

Ford Galaxy
2.0 TDCi 163 PowerShift
47.1–49.6 mpg

vs

Type R
31.0–31.7
Official MPG
23.2–37.6
Real MPG

27mpg is shit for around town, even in an auto diesel.

27mpg is pretty fucking good towing cattle around ,you'd usually be on 15mpg at best

Is the ford running one of them stupid wet belts?
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 23 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 24 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was mine i'd start with the cheap stuff.

Get some cleaner spray and give the MAF a cleanup.

Crap in the injectors / fuel filter would give you running issues but i doubt they'd be the cause of that massive cut in MPG.

Maybe 02 sensors ......

OOI how's the seals on the intercooler/turbo pipework? Taken it for an italian tune up?

As for oil contamination, borewash?

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:15 - 02 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Was going to try there next if no joy from this forum. This is usually my go-to when seeking advice, albeit usually bike-related.

Easy-X wrote:
27mpg is bad given it should be >50mpg. I would say bad injectors but my Skoda Fabia had a bad injector pretty much from new (eventually swapped under warranty) and a) it didn't make much odds to the mpg and b) if fuel is being pissed away you'd probably see downstream problems e.g. lambda sensor burn-outs or cat damage.

That's what my mechanics were eluding to clutching at straws but it's a lot to fork out if it doesn't cure the problem. Also, if the injectors are leaking, wouldn't they return any unburnt fuel back tot he tank through the leak-off pipes? Admittedly my knowledge on this subject is limited!

WD Forte wrote:
in terms of mpg

We don't work in a city, or even a town centre. 95% is rural country lanes, high speed A and B roads and motorways. Never had an issue getting 40mpg minimum out of any of the other taxis.

Paddy. wrote:

Codes all went away after the service, even the one relating to the solenoid.

Rob Fzs wrote:
Is the ford running one of them stupid wet belts?

Not sure! Had the timing belt done shortly after buying it as it was on about 116k and the interval is 144k (had one snap on me once at 124k when the interval was 125k but because I had always changed the oil and filters myself had no history for the car and Ford would not honour it under warranty).

Managed to pull this off AutoData if that indicates whether it's wet or not?

https://i.ibb.co/162zTtx/Untitled.png

UncleBFester wrote:
Get some cleaner spray and give the MAF a cleanup.

Maybe 02 sensors ......

OOI how's the seals on the intercooler/turbo pipework? Taken it for an italian tune up?

As for oil contamination, borewash?

New genuine MAF and/or MAP sensors got to be worth a go, surely, thanks will try.

Wouldn't O2 sensors pull up a fault code?

Not checked the intercooler/turbo pipework personally but again, any pressure out of spec would flag a fault code surely? Gets an Italian tuneup daily! And no, that's not the cause of the poor MPG. Struggle to get 30mpg even driving as economically as possible.

Regarding borewash, you could be onto something here? We have a 1.6CDTi Zafira B that started leaking diesel into the sump and filling the sump up with diesel. Had to change the injectors. I guess this would account for the oil degradation fault codes which actually came back shortly after the previous service. So we're thinking quite possibly injectors???

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:18 - 02 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although to be fair I don't think the oil level is rising (I think I would notice if it was!), so maybe not borewash?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 02 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the very least maybe injector seals. I'd expect other symptoms though, not just poor mpg.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:33 - 02 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's either something simple or difficult. You're only going to get answers to simple stuff here, but theoretically the fault codes should tell you about more complex stuff.

If you suspect diesel dribbling down and getting into the oil, you can get home oil analysis kits, or the kind where you send it off to a lab. Not expensive, you get a few tests in a kit, so it could be worth doing the lab one for you whole fleet, I expect it would pay for itself fairly quickly if it picks up one major failure before it happens.

As for my fairly basic understanding of what goes wrong with diesel engines, is it blowing smoke, and can you feel any wear in the turbo by trying to wiggle it's shaft?

It's at the mileage where I would expect a turbo to be worn out, injector seals to be hardened, and injectors to be a bit fucked.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.ibb.co/YBZ2v2P/Image-20230308-0001.png

Thoughts?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:52 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your oil wasblack and opaque at a very low mileage, was a bit thin for UK use (SAE20) but no real metal contamination so not much wear.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.5% fuel dilution is the bit I'm interested in. Is that a significant amount and could it account for the poor fuel economy? Doesn't seem high enough to me. Service light coming on after only 900 miles from an oil and filter change and resetting the service indicator. Thinking some smart sensor in the engine detecting oil deterioration and time for an oil change based on oil quality. Fuel in oil could explain this?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:17 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed that it can tell the difference between diesel oil and engine oil.

They are essentially the same thing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1