Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Road bike tyres

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

What do people use in 700c (28''-622) on road bikes these days?
23mm
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
25mm
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
28mm
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
32mm
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
34mm
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
narrow in the front / wide at the back
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
narrow at the back / wide in the front (because reasons)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Gravel tyres
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 02 Jan 2023    Post subject: Road bike tyres Reply with quote

My 28mm road bike tyres are due to be replaced and I'm wondering about going up the width. I watched the GCN show about tyres, I've read stuff online... but what do real cyclists actually use these days?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 02 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are decent enough. Not sure about different sizes though, I guess it depends on what you're doing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:48 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs stinkwheel has 23s on her triathalon bike but I've seen a lot of road bikes running fatter tyres recently.

Meh. Cycling is fickle and often more about fashion and marketing than function. I'm personally amazed they've stuck with 700c for so long without deciding a slight variation is the next big thing. I mean, they replaced 27" with 700c which is what? 8mm smaller in diameter. I have 27" x 1 1/8" on my road bike because fuck you fashion. I did it deliberately too, the frame is designed for 700c and I made the wheels myself, could have picked any size rim I wanted.

Fit what appeals to you and is available at a good price, I doubt anyone on here is in marginal gains territory. I suppose fatter ones make sense with the state of the roads.

I do like schwalbe tyres as a make, although I think I have contis on just now because they were cheap.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:08 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go up to 32 or 34. Go tubeless as well if you haven't already.

Is this just about general comfort or are you needing to up your game because there's a new dentist in town who is taking your KOMs on Strava?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general principle I would think is wider tyre = larger contact patch. If you're going over loose surfaces a lot than wider is good. Tarmac is (mostly) a purpose made grippy surface so less contact required. Less contact = less rolling resistance.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:24 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike still has the same tyre it had on it when I bought it 7 years ago and after several thousand miles I still see no reason to replace it so meh.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:20 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The general principle I would think is wider tyre = larger contact patch. If you're going over loose surfaces a lot than wider is good. Tarmac is (mostly) a purpose made grippy surface so less contact required. Less contact = less rolling resistance.

You'd think but I think point loading has an effect too. If the pro cyclists are going fatter, there's usually something in it, the slightly fatter tyres do seem to roll more easily in some ways. One place I've noticed it is when Mrs stinkweel is riding on her rollers. If she puts her fatter turbo trainer wheel on instead of her road wheel, it spins the roller much more easily with less noise. That's taking point loading to an extreme because it's sitting on a steel roller.

Incidentally, the turbo trainer has been relegated to the attic. Rollers are where it's at (after the initial heart-stopping terror of learning to use them).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:25 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have to take into account tyre pressure.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:45 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with wider tyres he'll be running lower pressures and going faster.

Rain

Wub

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your contribution.

After a moderate consideration, I'm getting 700x32C tyres for the 2023 season. I ride slow and far, so I prefer endurance over speed. People say 32mm tyres are not that far off from the 28mm tyres when it comes to watts, aero and all that performance stuff. Negligible, the bicycle people say.

I already ordered Continental Grand sport race 700x32C tyres (got a good deal). My current tyre set is Continental Ultra sport III 700x28C and since I was quite pleased with the wet/dry grip and the road feel, I thought why not to try yet another Continental set. I would get yet another Ultra sport III tyre set, but my local bike shops don't have them in 700x32C in stock anywere.

Sure there are cheaper alternatives, but I'm done with that. My bike (Triban RC500) came on the basic B'twin tyres and I still can not believe I did 2500km on them. The compound was rock hard, so all the vibrations came right through the wheels into the bars and the seat. Also, both the wet and dry grip was awful, nearly crashed the bike twice on those tyres. The B'twin tyres also felt somewhat slow (robbing me of my power) which I contributed to the ''puncture resistant desing'' but I got a puncture anyway, twice in the first 500-750km. Prior to that I had a MTB and the last time I had to fix a puncture on that bike was... I don't know really, maybe 15 years ago. Confused

@Ste: I'm not going tubeless any time soon. I can't see the benefits considering all the work involved. I very rarely have a puncture and I won't be able to even see the potentional performance benefits anyway.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Yes, with wider tyres he'll be running lower pressures and going faster.

Rain

Wub

Well, yes and no. It's all about the comfort and the power transfer. Narrow tyres run higher pressures, so you don't damage your rims (tubes). This means when the surface is not perfectly smooth, you bounce around a lot, reducing the contact patch with the surface of the road (grip), wasting your human power. Also, the longevity of your power output is limited by your own comfort. Many pro cycling teams run 700x28C tyres these days for this very reason.

That being said, wider tyres usually have worse aero and weight more (worse dynamic = slowing down/acceleration). The rolling resistance, as suggested above, depends on the surface you ride on.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:41 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 41's on my gravelly thing lol fuckin awesome

Road bike 28's
Next road bike 30's

Fancy steel retro road bike, moving to 32's

The 50's guys knew what the fuck they were on about btw.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:05 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:

The 50's guys knew what the fuck they were on about btw.

Although the 50's guys would have been running 27" and in all probability fixed gear.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Meh. Cycling is fickle and often more about fashion and marketing than function. I'm personally amazed they've stuck with 700c for so long without deciding a slight variation is the next big thing. I mean, they replaced 27" with 700c which is what? 8mm smaller in diameter. I have 27" x 1 1/8" on my road bike because fuck you fashion. I did it deliberately too, the frame is designed for 700c and I made the wheels myself, could have picked any size rim I wanted.

I'm also on 27"s on my 15 quid auction -ex MOD German-built shite bike. It had a buckled SA-AW rear wheel which I fixed with a few new spokes. Anyhow just picked up 2 x Continental Gator skins for it a a fiver each.. happy days.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 09 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

gravel tyres on my winter bike, which is a Trek Trail 2 hybrid with mudguards, cos route 51 into willington is a mud bath right now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 10 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
gravel tyres on my winter bike, which is a Trek Trail 2 hybrid with mudguards, cos route 51 into willington is a mud bath right now

Part of my commute to work is on route 51!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

Part of my commute to work is on route 51!

there is a Bedford 10 mile running race round that route at the end of the month, zero notices up that I can see so far Shocked

also, absolute mud bath in places still Thumbs Down

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic, my commuter (a 90s steel road bike configured as a singlespeed) I use 25mm, my steel audax I have 28mm (a modern frame so there is clearance for it) and my racing bike (mid-2000s) has 23mm. Frames made in a certain era, like my racing bike, were designed for 23mm or even narrower tyres - it won't take 25mm! My tourer has 38mm.

I would say the frame/forks are a much bigger factor to comfort than the tyres (assuming the tyres are properly inflated); the carbon forks on my audax give a smoother ride than the steel forks on my tourer, which in turn give a smoother ride the ally forks that were on my (stolen) ally commuter with 28mm tyres.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got marathon plus on my single speed, which is my favourite bike to ride

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:49 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Back on topic, my commuter (a 90s steel road bike configured as a singlespeed) I use 25mm, my steel audax I have 28mm (a modern frame so there is clearance for it) and my racing bike (mid-2000s) has 23mm. Frames made in a certain era, like my racing bike, were designed for 23mm or even narrower tyres - it won't take 25mm! My tourer has 38mm.

Yeah, proflile is relevant. Mrs stinkwheel has 32s in her 1976 raleigh competition fixie and they only just have vertical clearance, the nibs fouled the top of the fork when they were first fitted.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 18 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yeah, proflile is relevant. Mrs stinkwheel has 32s in her 1976 raleigh competition fixie and they only just have vertical clearance, the nibs fouled the top of the fork when they were first fitted.

Yeah I've got new tyres on my commuter and mudguard clearance is so tight the "nibs" are whirring away against the inside of the 'guard. In fact, last night in the snow the snow was building up in the mudguard but just as quickly the nibs were scouring it out of the top front, creating an amusing plume effect shooting off the top of the front wheel as I cycled along.
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, first 100 km on the 32x700c tyres, and I am very satisfied with the performance. Effort/rolling resistance wise it feels the same as the previous 28x700c tyres, but I can now run lower pressures and that's the biggest difference. No vibrations into the handle bars, more comfort for my arse... and I even ride faster where I would usually slow down due to rough surface and bumps in the road. Thumbs Up

Would recommend to anyone commuting on a road bike.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
So, first 100 km on the 32x700c tyres, and I am very satisfied with the performance. Effort/rolling resistance wise it feels the same as the previous 28x700c tyres, but I can now run lower pressures and that's the biggest difference. No vibrations into the handle bars, more comfort for my arse... and I even ride faster where I would usually slow down due to rough surface and bumps in the road. Thumbs Up

Would recommend to anyone commuting on a road bike.

In theory you should get more miles out of a tyre (assuming the same thickness of rubber vs narrower profile) as if you're running a lower pressure, bigger contact patch etc..

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 01 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My road bike came with 25mm tyres. I have put 28mm on it but in order to do that I have to deflate the rear one to get it on the frame, otherwise it fouls the seat tube as you try to get the QR into the dropouts. I guess a TA frame would alleviate this.

My homebrew gravel bike runs 43mm tyres - possibly room for a bit more but then clearance for mud may become an issue.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2