Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

v-reg zx9r stranded me thrice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 04 Jan 2023    Post subject: v-reg zx9r stranded me thrice Reply with quote

Had the bike 5 years, bought w/ 18k on it, now got 98 on it. So it gets a lot of regular riding, even through winter. However, note that I rarely if ever ride it in rain. Number of times it's seen actual rain can probably count on both hands. If that. I'll try to provide more relevant details as I explain more about what's happened, where and how.

Couple of months back stranded me in town - after getting me there with no hints of a problem. Went into shop for a few odds and sods, came out, got on bike. Just wouldn't start. AA arrived, diagnosed bad battery on the basis that charging system was seen to be working well. That day I did get home, and fitted a new battery (NB I always hook the bike up to Optimate - always).

Now, a bit of back story: For the past couple of years, and maybe even a bit longer, this bike has a strange habit. Sometimes it simply refuses to start - and I am talking both warm and cold here. The "trick" is to do a Daddy Pig - i.e. turn the ignition key all the way anticlockwise and then back to the on position, and thumb the starter button. This simple solution works almost every time, and when it doesn't, try the same thing again, and it will work then. But the point is that, no matter how many times that starter turns over, the engine will not listen, absolutely doesn't wanna know at all. Just a quirk of the bike....and/or an early sign of a deeper problem? If the latter, this certainly went on for several years and a tens of thousands of miles.

Anyway, with the new battery on, I dismissed that particular breakdown as done and dusted, nothing to attach further significance to. Big mistake. A few weeks later I was caning it down the b1248 and it died on me. Never happened before. In the last few yards of momentum and changed down to second and tried to bump it - absolutely did NOT want to know. At all.

I got it down a side lane, and parked it up. Waited 15 minutes or more, and tried the starter. Iirc, it was weak. Like the battery was dead. I wish I could remember more clearly. But that's my recollection. In any case, I was going nowhere.

I got it recovered and taken to the bloke that works on it, near York. He couldn't find anything wrong. As in, the next day it started straight away on the button. He gave it dyno time. Got it hot. It just wouldn't die. It was making 127 at the wheel. For a 20 y/o 98k bike everything pointed to a machine in pretty rude health. All I could do was pick it up and ride it home. Now here's an important point, I think: For a while - i.e. 10-15 miles - it felt like it was only on three. Ok, yes, by the time I got home, it was definitely on four and idling properly on the drive before i stuck it back in the garage. But still....I was a bit freaked by the running on three thing. This bike NEVER does that. Not cold, not hot - not in town, not anywhere. So when it does, and when you know a bike properly, you notice it and pick up on it and think hmmm, ugh. Wtf. On the day, I thought, well, it has stood for a couple of weeks at the bloke's unit - with no Optimate or owt. So I kind of thought maybe, maybe, it's not used to being not run for so long. But nah - in retrospect that, I think, was quite simply wrong.

So - for better or worse, by which I mean definitely worse lol, a few weeks later I set out to meet some mates and the bike was very well-behaved, from cold starting, to cruising, to a bit of relatively spirited blasting. I had best part of 60 miles done - with a bit of stop somewhere along the way. Then another one, further on - and we set out for Seaways, off up the Buttercrambe rd, I was leading, and properly enjoying the bike and the route. I got 20 miles or so further on and the bastard snuffed it again. This time I felt it go down into three - and in fact, now I remember, this was Black Friday, and we'd been into town to see if there was any cheap clobber at Infinity's. I'm recalling that, when i got back on the bike after going in the shop, whilst it started fine, it was on three in town there.

But again, it seemed to "warm up" and run properly, after getting out of town, and I thought hmmm okay, maybe I should just fvck off home while the going's good - but it went so well that I thought sod it, I'll carry on. Which I did, until, as I said, it snuffed it.

For the third time, I got it recovered and back down to the fettler's near York. And that's where it's been ever since.

I've been doing a little bit of snooping on the zx9r forum and some say fuel pump. But is it possible it could run on three with a knackered pump? I feel as if that's unlikely. I feel like, because it won't die on the dyno, it's some sort of loose wire / connection / doohickey that will only fail over / on a bumpy road. And this bike's had to contend with a lot of those in my hands. Partly because of where I live - on tight rural back lanes - but also because of how and where I like to ride (in some ways I've got the wrong bike tbf - but I just love the power and character of the bike so eh, whatever). Let me just say, however, that each time the bike has actually stranded me, it has been on the better roads in the area - the roads with very good surfaces, not much in the way of bumps, jolts, or jarring. I personally don't think it's not dying on the dyno because the dyno isn't simulating real, actual everyday riding conditions. That's just a gut vibe though, admittedly.

Summarily, you might well say this is all irrelevant and the bike has had its day, its been faithful and good up til now, you can't expect any more from it. Scrap it, it's not worth it, intermittent faults of this kind are horrendous, spendy and a total basturd. I get that.

Otoh, and from both cosmetic and mechanical POVs, this bike could theoretically keep going and going, if this particular fault can be put right. The bike looks good (no corrosion, just had wheels powder coated, got upgraded 4 pot callipers, etc, etc.), and makes decent power. And I get on with it really well. I dunno. I don't know which way to jump, tbh. I'm not sentimental, as such. But I do feel a bit of an obligation to try and save an otherwise decent bike from the breakers. I suppose the question is how far I go with that, by which I mean, how much I spend. Any advice, thoughts, diagnoses, etc, very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:04 - 04 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both problems would be explained by an ignition fault.

It's very intermittent, which makes it a bastard to diagnose, but points me towards a corroded connection or a switch - ignition or kill switch - playing up.

Possibly coil(s) breaking down, but not something I would go to just yet. Not something I've personally experienced.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 04 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keyed ignition switch on my similar vintage 6R is so worn after 70k miles I can lift the key out without turning it, and sometimes it has needed an extra nudge clockwise to switch on. It hasn’t been a problem but I can imagine it could be.

When I unwittingly snipped the fuel pump wire the bike started and warmed up normally but only got me 50 yards before the engine cut out, so on that basis I wouldn’t suspect your fuel pump.

Carb icing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 04 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Both problems would be explained by an ignition fault.

It's very intermittent, which makes it a bastard to diagnose, but points me towards a corroded connection or a switch - ignition or kill switch - playing up.

Possibly coil(s) breaking down, but not something I would go to just yet. Not something I've personally experienced.

tbf, on the nine forum, the proper experts have definitely warned about stripping and cleaning the r/h switch unit - so i think both of you could be onto something there - at any rate, i will start there i think

as for carb icing, hmm i appreciate the c1 suffered (although there was a recall and in fact i have a c1 that's fine - also, the c2 rectified the problem right from the factory w/ an upgraded heating rail

so i am thinking not carb icing - unless something in the plumbing has gone awry....

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 04 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a side note - does the AA up your renewal price if you call them out too much?? Laughing

like, i will get the r/h switch gear properly done - but then i gotta trust the mutha fvcka on an elongated shake down....cos it can go 70 miles or more before digging its heels in Rolling Eyes

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 04 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My FZ went on to 2/3 pots due to a corroded plug cap innards. It uses long ones that can be dismantled (inc the resistor) and cleaned up.

Perhaps time to treat it to some new caps and plugs - just to eliminate that possibility.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:19 - 04 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had three EX500 ignition switches fail in such a way as they allowed you to turn over the engine but not power up the ignition. They make more than one contact when in the on position and it wasn't making all of them. I'd imagine a ZX9 uses a similar switch.

I've also had power relays in one of the black boxes go sticky.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok good - I will definitely put the ignition switch and assy at the top of the potential culprit list. As I said, the long term inmates of the zx9r forum pointed to this previously. Also, as noted, this bike has always been very very slightly prone to weirdness in this context. My only slight vibe is why would an ignition problem lead to cutting out once the bike has been running for 30 minutes or more. I get that it would cause obvious problems prior to firing up - but not once it's idling or underway.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
so i am thinking not carb icing - unless something in the plumbing has gone awry....

My 6R has the carb-ice plumbing, the coolant lines are clear and while I’m sure it helps it’s not a total cure. A dash of Silkolene Pro-FST or iso-propanol in the tank helps. The intermittent nature of icing makes it hard to diagnose or even anticipate but if your problem has only arisen recently (after 5 years of ownership) you’re right, it’s probably not that unless you’re doing more poor-weather riding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:33 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty coil earths are another perennial kawasaki "thing" in my experience.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:52 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I thought of when reading was ignition switch and potentially coils.

I read the answers, its where I would have gone first too Smile

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok good - I will definitely put the ignition switch and assy at the top of the potential culprit list. As I said, the long term inmates of the zx9r forum pointed to this previously. Also, as noted, this bike has always been very very slightly prone to weirdness in this context. My only slight vibe is why would an ignition problem lead to cutting out once the bike has been running for 30 minutes or more. I get that it would cause obvious problems prior to firing up - but not once it's idling or underway.

Don't rule out more than one issue..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:31 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Keep thinking of stuff. Have a look at either end of the main power feed between the main fuse and the ignition switch (probably a fat white wire in kawasaki wiring schemes). Again on different models of kawasaki I've had this specific wire start corroding badly so the tangs on the fuse looked like they'd been nibbled and there was green corrosion disappearing off up the insulation. Had it happen at either end. It caused weird and intermittant electrical faults culminating in a recovery with a dead bike.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Don't rule out more than one issue..

ikr - back of my mind i'm thinking ignition / r/h switch gear AND fuel pump

well, at least i do have a nice oem pump ready to fit - but i don't wanna do it at the same time as the switch gear....

....but that might get me stranded a 4th time....

...however i want to correctly diagnose the cause....

again, another layer of dilemma - so my question is, would you lot just throw everything at it, and then live with the fact that you'll never know what the actual fault was?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I Keep thinking of stuff. Have a look at either end of the main power feed between the main fuse and the ignition switch (probably a fat white wire in kawasaki wiring schemes). Again on different models of kawasaki I've had this specific wire start corroding badly so the tangs on the fuse looked like they'd been nibbled and there was green corrosion disappearing off up the insulation. Had it happen at either end. It caused weird and intermittant electrical faults culminating in a recovery with a dead bike.

Ok that's really good. Another potential culprit on the list. One question - I often get the impression you're an all-weather rider, if so, was that the case on the kawasakis you mention here? And secondly, do you think that it could've been as a result of some sort of rain-induced dampness?

A bit more info - my bikes have always lived in an 'integral' garage - now ok yes there will be degrees of condensation forming and reforming, esp. in winter months. There's a half inch gap under the trad steel up & over door - so plenty of draft, and you definitely wouldn't want to sleep in it if there was a settee in the living room! But the point remains: Draft equals temperature changes - down to near freezing, and back up to 10 degrees or more in the day, probably (?). So that could be a lot of condensation over the years. And yet....I still kind of think that my bikes get off very lightly, and can sidestep a lot of condensation. And thus passive corrosion. These are questions really. I'm just throwing it out there.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:30 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that's really good. Another potential culprit on the list. One question - I often get the impression you're an all-weather rider, if so, was that the case on the kawasakis you mention here? And secondly, do you think that it could've been as a result of some sort of rain-induced dampness?

A bit more info - my bikes have always lived in an 'integral' garage - now ok yes there will be degrees of condensation forming and reforming, esp. in winter months. There's a half inch gap under the trad steel up & over door - so plenty of draft, and you definitely wouldn't want to sleep in it if there was a settee in the living room! But the point remains: Draft equals temperature changes - down to near freezing, and back up to 10 degrees or more in the day, probably (?). So that could be a lot of condensation over the years. And yet....I still kind of think that my bikes get off very lightly, and can sidestep a lot of condensation. And thus passive corrosion. These are questions really. I'm just throwing it out there.

Yeah, all of those were used year-round and mostly parked outside. That said, it was all pretty clean and dry under there. I think then main issue with that specific wire is it's a permanant live which is succeptible to oxidative electrochemical corrosion because it's directly attached to the battery positive (via the solenoid). It starts acting like a sacrificial annode when you get small amounts of resting current leakage. A thin film of slightly salty moisture between it and the frame would be enough to allow a couple of milliamps of current to flow. In the same way as it's always the battery positive post the corrodes.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

so my question is, would you lot just throw everything at it, and then live with the fact that you'll never know what the actual fault was?

That is what I was pondering myself whilst reading this thread....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old bike, plenty of miles, plenty of things will get a bit tired. You have multiple problems which makes it hard to diagnose.

Ignition, fuel pump, new coils + HT leads + plug caps. If all those parts are the original factory stuff you'd be doing the bike a favour renewing them anyway, see how it goes from there.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:29 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
fuel pump,

That's not a bad shout either. They look to have an external electromechanical pump. Both my VFR ones let go over the last couple of years. Occasional unexplained stalling. Dropping a pot or cutting out then restarting after a bit of a wait. Worse on a nearly empty tank, better on a full tank.

Maybe even just pop the top off and see if the points have turned into a pile of grot.

I replaced mine with a facet solid state pump. Expensive but I have every intention of keeping it for any future bikes too. I'm using the 40171.

B1N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:39 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I'd start pulling apart electrical connectors one by one.
I'd carefully look with good light and preferably a magnifyier for any small sign of corrosion, tarnished contacts, signs of overheating or anything that looks different to the other connectors.

Intermittent faults are the worst, good luck.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
fuel pump,

That's not a bad shout either. They look to have an external electromechanical pump. Both my VFR ones let go over the last couple of years. Occasional unexplained stalling. Dropping a pot or cutting out then restarting after a bit of a wait. Worse on a nearly empty tank, better on a full tank.

Maybe even just pop the top off and see if the points have turned into a pile of grot.

I replaced mine with a facet solid state pump. Expensive but I have every intention of keeping it for any future bikes too. I'm using the 40171.

Well, I have been thinking fuel pump to the extent that I've bought one (a month or two ago - good used OEM one).

I did not appreciate that it could go down on to three - I was working on the assumption that if it could pump to three, it would pump to all four.

So why did I buy one, if I thought the logic of the fault was incorrect? Firstly, because I had forgotten that the bike had been running on three. I appreciate that's an obvious thing - but I only remembered it properly once I'd bought the fuel pump. Secondly, I got a tip from the zx9r forum that the pumps often fail circa 100k.

Now I'm starting to get optimistic again.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:56 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about it, when it runs out of fuel, it doesn't just die immediately, it runs rough and drops cylinders out first.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds kind electrical.
20 years and 98K says give it a thorough electrical check over and service to me.
Test for consistent grounding. Open, check, clean all connectors and cabling, flush out switches with contact cleaner
open and check any suspect ones.
Service starter motor.
Hot/cold resistance test on pulsers and stick coils.
Check internal junction box connections and squish contact cleaner in the relays ( if not open them up and closely inspect/clean)
Check ignition switch function and soldering, personally I'd open it up
if I had doubts about it.
check, test side stand switch function.

Most of it will probably check out fine but it won hurt and at least you'll know it been done.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 05 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If you think about it, when it runs out of fuel, it doesn't just die immediately, it runs rough and drops cylinders out first.

honestly, this one goes pretty quick - if you don't know where the res tap is, it's going to halt; there's no time for faffing at all - on the rare occasions it's happened to me, i was shocked by how rapidly it died off

but yeah, other bikes other behaviours

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1