Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mortage diposit, how much?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 06:40 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Mortage diposit, how much? Reply with quote

Wife and I (with 2 kids), have stopped renting and moved in with my mother to save for a house.

Av always been a bit over the top, so want 40k in 2yrs £1666pcm.

Our take homes are:
Me -2k
Wife - 1200,

What would you say would be a 'reasonable' deposit, for a house.
I know the market is naff right now and all that. But hopefully it has settled down in a year or so.

Also wife wants another kid. And with her's being 11 and 13, we'd be looking at a 4bed house. So round here (North Lincs), about 200k.

Any help please.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:01 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a decent mortgage / IFA and get some proper advice.

A quick search on moneysupermarket or the like will give you an idea. From what I've seen recently minimum deposit needs to be ~10% for the major lenders to get involved but there's building societies out there doing it for less.

You'll need to balance off what you can save whilst staying with family versus how far the housing market is going to be moving away from you as you do so. In other words, it's no good saying you've saved £5k being at the parents if the cost of a house has gone up £15k in the time it's taken you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:39 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything arry has said. Get advice from a decent source and look at house price rises.

My 2 penny worth? Get on the ladder as quick as possible. It gives you a decent time to pay off the mortgage and the house will be going up in value for you, not someone else.

Also, how long will your mother put up with 2 extra adults and 2 kids in her home? It's not like a weekend visit you know. I love my kids and grandkids dearly but the thought of sharing my home with them would send me onto the boat permanently. Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:15 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to find £22,000, so around 10%. I refuse to use my savings to buy a house, so we saved up separately as a house fund, took about a year of not spending and we moved in with her parents.

I would suggest you get about the same, you'll have solicitor fees too so potentially 1000 or so on top.

Getting professional advice though is key. Echo polarbear, I could have buried her parents after 6 months. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:35 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the minimum amount for stamp duty these days?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:30 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Whats the minimum amount for stamp duty these days?

Free for your first house, which I presume OP is going for.

Also OP, go for the nicest house in the nicest area you can afford, don't buy the best house in the not so nice areas, you won't want to stay.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to check your credit score and put some work into building it up. When I bought my house with my brother we had to fork over 12% instead of 8% deposit because he had an unpaid phone bill from years ago and being 22 we didn't really have any credit history.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 grand + usually gives you a decentish rate, entirely depends on what deal your broker can get for you though, all things can be adjusted within reason, sooner the better and then over pay if you have to though as house prices are silly, our place has gone up 30k in 2 years
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

You'll need to balance off what you can save whilst staying with family versus how far the housing market is going to be moving away from you as you do so. In other words, it's no good saying you've saved £5k being at the parents if the cost of a house has gone up £15k in the time it's taken you.

..although the forecasts are for a house price fall Thinking - perhaps not in Lincs however as it takes time for these things to percolate through

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, whaddya know..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64183817

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:27 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

It's not going to stay that way. even 1 or 2% per month for the whole of 2023 will be completely wiped out by the end of 2024.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

..although the forecasts are for a house price fall Thinking - perhaps not in Lincs however as it takes time for these things to percolate through

Short term, it's plausible. Long term? Not a chance. Not with the population trajectory we're on.

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the mortgage guy at my bank last aug. At the time (obviously things change). Was offered 90k with 15%, and that was on my own, and no credit score. Since i've only ever bought things when av got the money.
Only time i've ever had a loan is 15yr ago for my bike. So had to get a credit card, which is used for fuel. Then paid off imediately when out the shop.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:21 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF is a credit score? I just go into the bank and get good deals.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:35 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I just walk into the bank and get a good deal.

My only asset is the house and I never made any money on selling assets to make capital gains.

I have never looked at my credit rating and have no idea what it is but I've never had an issue getting a loan. There again, it's rarely that I do. Just the mortgage generally.

It's quite funny to hear about someone who has not worked since the 80s going on about credit scores. How old were you when you stopped working? 5?

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:42 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/mortgages/first-time-buyers/rates/

Gives you an idea of rates for first time mortgages. The higher the LTV the more you pay. There will be maximum of income multiples too, typically a maximum of 3x joint income means they would lend, let’s say your gross is £35k and your partners is £20k, you will get £55k x 3 = £165k. So if you are after a £200k property you need about £35k plus at the ready.

The more you have up front, the less you pay.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you looked at life a time ISA? (LISA).
if youre under 40. i think you can save £4000 a year and the government will add up to a grand on top.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-isas/

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 bits of advice:

1) Get involved in a LISA to get a bonus towards your deposit.
2) find a mortgage advisor you can trust for sensible up to date financial advice.
3) dont take financial advice from someone who cant spell financial.
dave001 wrote:

in the rigged finachal system we have

owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:29 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise that I'm an accountant? Please don't tell me about how the tax system and other financial systems work.

If you are paid in anything other than money (in the majority of cases) it's considered a benefit in kind and is taxable in eactly the same way as money is.

Capital gains tax is only paid on the increase from it's value when you received it to it's value when it's sold.

You cannot offset the loan against the capital gains tax.

TBH you've demonstated a fundamental failure to understand the taxation system.

https://www.crunch.co.uk/knowledge-tax/what-are-benefits-in-kind

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:41 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr ' I have money spraying out of my arse since the 80s yet can barely even spell my own name' has gone a bit quiet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3