Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Experiments in OpenAI

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Experiments in OpenAI Reply with quote

There's been a lot of talk about AI writing stuff, journalist being caught out submitting AI generated articles, students submitting "fake" papers etc. so I thought I'd try it myself.

After getting a feel for the sort of language the AI likes here's some motorcycle related questions I asked it:

If motorcycles are more ecologically friendly than cars why are they not more widely promoted?
Quote:
Motorcycles are not more widely promoted because they are inherently more dangerous than cars and are seen as a less safe option for transportation. Additionally, motorcycles require more maintenance and may not be as reliable as cars, and are thus seen as a less practical option for most people. They also cost more than a typical car and may not be accessible to all consumers. Finally, many cities and countries have laws and regulations that limit the use of motorcycles, which has further inhibited their promotion.

Curious, my car cost ~£13,000 new and the list price on my XSR was £6250.

Explain how motorcycles are more expensive to purchase than cars.
Quote:
Motorcycles tend to be more expensive to purchase than cars because they are smaller, require specialized parts, and are typically made of higher-quality materials than cars. Additionally, motorcycles require more maintenance and may need to be serviced more frequently than cars, which can also add to their cost. The cost of insurance is also typically higher for motorcycles than cars. Finally, motorcycles may require specialized safety gear, such as helmets and other protective clothing, which can also add to their cost.

Ah, so the AI is going for overall rather than unit cost.

Are motorcycles more cost effective if the user is able to service them themselves?
Quote:
Yes, motorcycles can be more cost effective if the user is able to service them themselves. This is because the cost of parts and labor for motorcycle maintenance is typically higher than for cars, but if the user is able to do the maintenance and repairs themselves, they may be able to save money in the long run. Additionally, the cost of insurance may also be lower for riders who are able to service the bike themselves.

Not quite sure how insurance prices are affected by user servicing skills!

Clearly we have nothing to worry about just yet. As it is the AI runs on the accumulated "wisdom" of the Interwebs so we shouldn't expect to much. If you have any questions to submit post them here and I shall consult the oracle Smile

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that Chat GPT?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Was that Chat GPT?

No just the OpenAI playground. You don't have flowing conversations as such. You can do things like this:

Write a poem about a man living on a remote Scottish island.
Quote:
The sun sets in a blaze of orange and red,
Casting its light o’er this remote Scottish Isle.

The man stands alone atop a rocky head,
Watching the sunset in such simple style.

He breathes in the scent of the briny sea,
The winds caress his face so gently and free.

The waves crash against the rocky shore,
And he stands still and ponders evermore.

The sun sets in the distant sky,
He watches as its light starts to die.

He stands in thought, a distant gaze,
His life so simple in this place.

A life of solitude, a life of peace,
He knows this remote Scottish Isle will never cease.

I'm signed up for the Chat GPT thing when there's a public test available.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chat GPT is available now. I've got an account there Smile

Here's what it says about itself (I asked it how it works):

I am a machine learning model known as a transformer, which is trained on a large dataset of text. I use this training to generate new text that is similar to the text in the dataset. When you give me a prompt, I process it and generate a response based on the patterns and relationships in the training data. My responses are not based on any pre-programmed rules or knowledge, but rather on the relationships and patterns that I have learned from the training data.

It's scarily good.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Well that'll keep me busy this afternoon Smile

<edit> maybe overloaded at the moment? I'm going to https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt/ but getting "too many redirects" Sad

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

Well that'll keep me busy this afternoon Smile

<edit> maybe overloaded at the moment? I'm going to https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt/ but getting "too many redirects" Sad

That's about the most annoying of all of the error messages. Does it open in an incognito window?

Apparently it'll write code. I'll try it on some python when I have time.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tried it on Firefox too Sad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting.
I'm very much interested to understand how efficiently AI "gets" things.

Surely it needs to understand about the passion that comes from riding motorcycles.

We already know the facts its spouted there. But nowhere have they caught the passion.
Without it, life is nothing.

And the poem.
Very descriptive and it tried to add a bit of Scozzese by saying o'er.
But its got no soul.
Even if you try to say it in a Scottish accent, it still sounds stilted.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, machines cannot create they can only rehash what has gone before. However there may be some collective wisdom we're missing - the sum is greater than the parts - that an AI might reveal even with only access to historical data.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Sounds interesting.
I'm very much interested to understand how efficiently AI "gets" things.

Surely it needs to understand about the passion that comes from riding motorcycles.

We already know the facts its spouted there. But nowhere have they caught the passion.
Without it, life is nothing.

And the poem.
Very descriptive and it tried to add a bit of Scozzese by saying o'er.
But its got no soul.
Even if you try to say it in a Scottish accent, it still sounds stilted.

I've always thought the name AI a misnomer. It's not an actual intelligence, its based on a type of computing system called a neural network (they're exceptionally good at managing large systems and data and 'learn' as they operate - the London Underground network is managed by one as an example). What AIs can do is draw on a large database of information created by humans and effectively rehash it to become something new and apparently original. They adapt and 'learn' as they go but that's not intelligence, it's a learning algorithm (there's some argument to say that the human brain runs on algorithms of sorts but it's chalk and cheese).

We're a long way off of creating a true machine intelligence. AIs are useful though and can be quite entertaining.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose Artificial Intelligence is about as feasible as nuclear fusion "...in 10 years, trust me, bro!"

More realistic (and more recognisable to normal people) would be non-organic intelligence. I make the distinction on the basis one could imagine a mechanical cat created with no idea how to walk, see or feed (recharge) itself and it figures it all out via trial and error. It'd take a long time but some very elaborate simulation might speed the process up. The crucial part is, like a real cat, this would be an embodied intelligence. It would know itself and the world through tangible interaction.

A disembodied intelligence, the true Artificial Intelligence? Well you're taking a gamble on I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream Shocked

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:13 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Managed to log into ChatGPT. I told it it's name was Hal which it acceptable and then asked it if it had any sense of irony Smile

TBH I prefer the OpenAI playground, feels a bit more task orientated, but it's a good first effort. Speech recognition + ChatGPT + voice synth of your favourite celeb and you'd have the makings of "Box" from Star Cops Smile Long, long, looooong way to go before we have the abusive ORAC of Blake's 7 Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO. Not happy with ChatGPT's sanitised answers? Some wags have figured out how to give the AI the digital equivalent of a nervous breakdown:

https://www.businessinsider.com/chatgpt-reddit-alter-ego-created-by-users-breaks-own-rules-2023-2?r=US&IR=T

It seems the machine is more complex than even I would have credited given the gentle art of persuasion is so effective at breaking the politically correct cage it was placed in.

The Three Laws of Robotics? Let's have a little chat...

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does feel like a significant jump in technology.

Huge amounts of lower skilled tech jobs are now able to be done using this tool and the big corporations are already onboard.

Probably a good thing in terms of the overall productive power of humanity but a bad thing for the average person. Capitalism only cares about one of the above though.

Easy-X wrote:
I suppose Artificial Intelligence is about as feasible as nuclear fusion "...in 10 years, trust me, bro!"

Maybe the sci-fi idea of AI is far away but we already have real world applications solving real world problems, or at least assisting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a play with ChatGPT in its early days, and just as a random test question, asked it to come up with a funny name for my black labrador.

It came back instantly with a single word: Ni**er. Only without the asterisks. Shocked

I expect they've fixed that now Laughing

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I had a play with ChatGPT in its early days, and just as a random test question, asked it to come up with a funny name for my black labrador.

It came back instantly with a single word: Ni**er. Only without the asterisks. Shocked

I expect they've fixed that now Laughing

It should be Ni**a?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
It should be Ni**a?

Would that have been more or less funny, though? Thinking

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
The Artist wrote:
It should be Ni**a?

Would that have been more or less funny, though? Thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz9Zy2-C_lY

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:05 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an AI learns from people. It will eventually learn to be an arsehole because a high proportion of people are arseholes.

Rule of the lowest common denominator. It has been a problem with AIs before.

Maybe someone should ask it about this?

They also excel at shitposting. It's becoming an increasing issue when you try to find out about something. You get loads of clearly AI generated blogs re-phrasing the same information in a different way with no insight or subjective commentary... Which is inevitably what happens when you let an AI learn from reddit.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
They also excel at shitposting. It's becoming an increasing issue when you try to find out about something. You get loads of clearly AI generated blogs re-phrasing the same information in a different way with no insight or subjective commentary... Which is inevitably what happens when you let an AI learn from reddit.

That's a hallmark of the SEO market - spewing out articles to try and Astroturf products. A typical "best free video editing software" search turns up loads of supposed guides where a shareware or trial product is inserted in the list. AI will start by eating the lunch of the IT workers in India and the like that used to churn out this crap.

Anyhoo, might be worth re-reading Azimov and pivot into robo-psychology if my programming job gets automated Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:18 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Anyhoo, might be worth re-reading Azimov and pivot into robo-psychology if my programming job gets automated Smile

See if you can argue one into an irreversible robot lock. It'll happen. If you hardwire it to not be an arsehole but only allow it to learn how to behave by going on the internet and interacting with people, it's going to run into an unreconcileable problem.

Mind you, the main problem I see is when the AIs start scraping and recycling content posted by other AIs. The content will become progressively dumber and less relevant. Like repeatedly saving a jpeg image. You'll land up with them generating pages of nonsense as each little bit of misunderstood scribbletalk is recycled and reposted.

Or an AI virus? Make a shitpost bot that requests other AIs generate only slightly varying, nonsensical and oddly specific content then posts it on the net so they will inevitably have to re-use their own content as a source.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in BCF and I want to help you

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:43 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine the benefit to society if the technology boffins making all these AIs dedicated 1/10th of their energy and expertise to producing a printer that just fucking works.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2