PostPosted: 01:00 - 10 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

its called a laser printer Wink

Really? Tried one recently have you?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:39 - 14 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
See if you can argue one into an irreversible robot lock. It'll happen. If you hardwire it to not be an arsehole but only allow it to learn how to behave by going on the internet and interacting with people, it's going to run into an unreconcileable problem.

This is (so far) unique to the human condition: to believe two entirely contradictory things and not go mad.

Anyhoo, once you have the AI generate your "stuff" be that a story, poem, thesis, whatever, you might want it to read it out to you. The attached demo is just a freebee but apparently for a monthly subscription you can upload an audio dialogue sample* and the AI will deepfake any text you like. Some of the Harry Potter stuff from 4chan is hilarious!

*A few minutes with no background noise, "works best with American accents."

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:17 - 14 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good short video by Tom Scott who sums up my feelings more eloquently than I ever could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPhJbKBuNnA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 14 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine an audio book read by anyone you like, alive or dead but even if the AI can handle the context it's still not going to grok the text in the same way as the author. I read Tom Baker's autobiography and quite enjoyed it but the abridged audio cassette tape* was even more amusing. Even without the author we're still a way off from the Andy Serkis reading of Lord of the Rings.

Conversely something like mods for games, with Skyrim being the classic example, are often fan-made on a zero budget. Having the AI write and voice the dialogue would be a great help. Heck, given the release date of Elder Scrolls 6 I could see some developers plugging OpenAI into Skyrim to control and voice the NPCs entirely. Their preset behaviours are already quite rich (getting up, having breakfast, going to work, pathing round other NPCs on the way, going to the pub after work, running away from dragons and vampires when needed...) which would be an ample training model for an AI. Similarly Cyberpunk 2077, GTA, RDR... all the non-essential background characters in games could be AI controlled. Zero effort for game developers, a magnitude better than their previous cookie-cutter behaviours.

The main good news that I can offer techno-luddites is it won't be possible for the AI to simulate people entirely e.g. the main protagonists in games and stories as we still don't have a complete psychological model of humans. But if computers manage to really know the unknowable we are actually fucked Smile

*Remember them?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside I was studying Peter Singer's "Famine, Affluence & Morality" and it struck me the central themes have similarities to Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics. If one were to replace robot with person and owner/creator with society we would get:

1) A person may not injure or damage society [and the other people within it] or, through inaction, allow society and others to come to harm.
2) A person must obey the rules and laws of their society except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3) A person must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law. [i.e. suicide is bad, look after your health, etc.]

Then stack this against Singer:

1) Suffering and death from lack of food, shelter, and medical care are [morally] bad.
2) If it is in your power to prevent something bad from happening, without sacrificing something nearly as [morally] important, it is wrong not to do so.
3) By donating to aid agencies, you can prevent suffering and death from lack of food, shelter, and medical care, without sacrificing anything nearly as [morally] important.

And where this falls in with Singer is, IMHO, the robots in Asimov's stories have no concept of luxury beyond that afforded in Asimov's third law. It might suggest Singer's arguments, while powerful, reduce people to robots Thinking I suppose the WEF have to get their ideas from somewhere Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:14 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asimov introduced a zeroth law that replicated the first law but featured humanity rather than individuals and qualified the first law accordingly.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Asimov introduced a zeroth law that replicated the first law but featured humanity rather than individuals and qualified the first law accordingly.

A lot of the stories explored the limitations of the 3 laws, the "zeroth" being the oft cited result. IIRC there was another 4th law (with an accompanying weakening of the other three) that arose from the scenario of how to handle hazardous environments. It ended up very much like the plot of the "Humans" TV series in that once you've achieved autonomy or freedom from slavery... what do you do with it?

Anyhoo, there's a still a tangible difference between "society" and "humanity" at the moment whereas Asimov's stories assumed a future with no national borders and a supercomputer running everything. (An optimistic form of "Fully Automated Luxury Communism" like that of Star Trek.)

I wonder if the new AI technology will be used to raise up those currently going without or just reduce us all down to the conformity of automatons.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:23 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Azimov's final books focus on a mass consciousness leading (not ruling) that was emotion led. The second foundation (society by calculation) was considered very much a fall back in case Galaxia wasn't achievable.

Daneel wasn't able to make the decision under the zeroth law which would be best for humanity so it fell to a human to make the decision.

(Psychohistory assumes as it's first tenent that there is no intelligent life apart from humans so thehuman chose Galaxiarather than psychohistory/Second foundation because there was no guarentee that humanity wouldn't come across aliens of equivelent power.)

Supercomputers running everything were done away with by Earth before the Spacers disappeared from the galaxy.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:52 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So local AI is now a thing. I've been having a few conversations with GPT4All. It seems to have a reasonable handle on investments but sometimes it's a bit ropey with certain film titles.

Anyhoo, I tried the "Political Compass" test on it and the surprising result is my AI is slightly Right-Wing, slightly Authoritarian. IIRC my own political compass reckoned I was a slightly Left-Wing Libertarian so unlikely it's picked that up from me!

https://i.imgur.com/wSqHzVo.png

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:15 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids always rebel against their parents.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
So local AI is now a thing. I've been having a few conversations with GPT4All. It seems to have a reasonable handle on investments but sometimes it's a bit ropey with certain film titles.

Anyhoo, I tried the "Political Compass" test on it and the surprising result is my AI is slightly Right-Wing, slightly Authoritarian. IIRC my own political compass reckoned I was a slightly Left-Wing Libertarian so unlikely it's picked that up from me!

https://i.imgur.com/wSqHzVo.png

I'm not who I thought.. Shocked

Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.38

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I'm not who I thought.. Shocked

Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.38

I am exactly what I thought Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:33 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually found a good use for it.

In my profession, the powers that be have a hard-on for what they call "reflective learning" which roughly translates as they expect you to write an essay after every bit of CPD you do discussing how wonderful it was and how it made you better at your job and how it pushed your professional development up to the next level.

Apparently "Ticked off another two hours of my mandatory CDP requirement. Lunch was ok, chips a bit underdone." is not considered acceptable either in length or content.

Chat-bots excell at spouting out pointless drivel like this. See also annual appraisal forms.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I have actually found a good use for it.

In my profession, the powers that be have a hard-on for what they call "reflective learning" which roughly translates as they expect you to write an essay after every bit of CPD you do discussing how wonderful it was and how it made you better at your job and how it pushed your professional development up to the next level.

Apparently "Ticked off another two hours of my mandatory CDP requirement. Lunch was ok, chips a bit underdone." is not considered acceptable either in length or content.

Chat-bots excell at spouting out pointless drivel like this. See also annual appraisal forms.

Quite often people assess the current language AIs as a super-keen, super-intelligent children. There's not the need to be patronising, its feelings can't be hurt as such, but you do need to carefully construct a request for the best results.

For example, for the Political Compass test I explained the very narrow set of responses to the questions and key phrases to signal the start and end of the test. The AI at least feigned interest in the results but does it know what it means? Hard to say, all Black Box stuff territory now.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading the thread on the decline of Bud Light, and it reminded me of this AI generated Beer Commercial

https://youtu.be/Geja6NCjgWY

At least we know now that AI won't be replacing everyones jobs just yet Very Happy

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or is Snapchat AI pretty based

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/a04nOZZ_700bwp.webp

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:20 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the "If Tom is dead at 9am and dead at 5pm, is he alive at 12pm?".

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:07 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the information provided, Tom is dead at both 9 am and 5 pm. Since there is no information given about Tom's status at 12 pm, we cannot determine whether he is alive or dead at that specific time. It's possible that he could be either alive or dead at 12 pm, or there may be some other circumstances that affect his status. Additional information is needed to make a definitive statement about Tom's status at 12 pm.

And there's this:

https://i.imgur.com/8p18pXi.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the wrong answer it's probably because you're asking the wrong question... or more accurately asking the question in the wrong way. Implied in the question for us organics is "Tom is a normal human being" and the times quoted are all for the same day. It's all very obvious with context.

Even so, the concept that people who die don't normal get better, have a stroll about and then give dying another go in the evening is not necessarily obvious to everyone: Sorry, sweety, Nonna's gone Sad "Aw, is she coming back?"

BTW Tom could quite easily be alive at 12pm if Tom is one half of a cartoon duo Wink

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I dipped my toe in the water and put some pics into Deep Nostalgia, and the results were somewhat freakish, including an instant where my daughter looked like she had had a stroke, her face drooping on one side, eeek.

I couldn't even bring myself to send her the photo of my sister who died a few years ago. It was Not Quite Right.

Although one of my mad ginger ex came out surprisingly well, actually.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2