Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Old guy - New Rider - Fallen Already

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:20 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Old guy - New Rider - Fallen Already Reply with quote

Well middle-aged shall we say...

Just thought i'd pop up a hello.

Had my first fall today after just 60 miles riding total. Thick icy patch on shaded portion of roundabout - low side slide. Nothing I could do - was already taking it really slow. Early learning opportunity think we'll call that one. No significant damage.

Anyway - come on Spring!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what've you learned?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Old guy - New Rider - Fallen Already Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

Had my first fall today after just 60 miles riding total. Thick icy patch on shaded portion of roundabout - low side slide. Nothing I could do - was already taking it really slow. Early learning opportunity think we'll call that one. No significant damage.

Anyway - come on Spring!

Good thing that Zontes parts are cheap Laughing glad you're not injured and no serious damage to the bike!

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:46 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
So what've you learned?

When it's 8 DegC and sunny there can still be isolated icy patches on shaded roundabouts.

Also - my biking jeans work a treat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:48 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Old guy - New Rider - Fallen Already Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
DaddyStu wrote:

Anyway - come on Spring!

Good thing that Zontes parts are cheap Laughing glad you're not injured and no serious damage to the bike!

Thanks. The crash bung took the brunt of it - less than £5 iirc.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time of year ice can readily persist in little dips out of the sun, if sky is clear heat radiates away so ground temp is below freezing - and ice can form even though you impression might be mild and sunny.
Any damp areas are potentially ice all through the day unless it is clearly mild and windy and has been for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would anyone want to ride a bike on the roads in this weather?!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:30 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
This time of year ice can readily persist in little dips out of the sun, if sky is clear heat radiates away so ground temp is below freezing - and ice can form even though you impression might be mild and sunny.
Any damp areas are potentially ice all through the day unless it is clearly mild and windy and has been for a while.

No doubt you use isolated patches of ice as you justification as to why climate change isn't real.

The reality is we are on the same latitude as some of the coldest parts of the world and the only reason why the UK isn't that cold most of the wonter is the gulf stream.

When the gulf stream gets killed off by all the sea ice in the arctic melting it will be this cold all winter long in the UK.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll still get ice in low spots when sun doesn't have enough energy to heat the ground more than is radiated away under clear sky.
This situation continues until April.
Climate change is entirely irrelevant unless you think it makes the sun more hotty and burny burny in winter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:50 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Says the conspiricy theory nut.

No doubt you think planes work by magic and you shake your pitchfork at them because of the chemtrails.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

To take two bikes for their MOTs
Was 2°C all the way.
On the plus side, they both passed Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
So what've you learned?

When it's 8 DegC and sunny there can still be isolated icy patches on shaded roundabouts.

Also - my biking jeans work a treat.

Something else to think about - straight lining roundabouts, if you don't already. This is obvious but it bears repeating - if you can avoid unnecessary steering input without conflicting with other vehicles, do it. Especially in damp or wet conditions (diesel is probably more likely to follow the course of the markings - ice and microclimates are a different story, but nevertheless) - but even as a general rule, if you're on two wheels. Needless to say you'll have to make even better forward and rear observations. Also, try and separate steering, brake and throttle inputs - it's just another way of maintaining / maximising stability. Another thing to consider - avoid white paint, esp. in the wet but also the cold, because it could theoretically disguise a patch of frost.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

I do almost every other day commuting. If I need to drop my son off at school I will take the car that day but if he walks with his friends then I go to work on the bike.

I only see a handful of other bikers riding now so I understand that most people are fair weather riders which is fine but personally I love riding and take every opportunity to ride even if the weather is shit Laughing

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

I do almost every other day commuting. If I need to drop my son off at school I will take the car that day but if he walks with his friends then I go to work on the bike.

I only see a handful of other bikers riding now so I understand that most people are fair weather riders which is fine but personally I love riding and take every opportunity to ride even if the weather is shit Laughing

When is the weather not shit for biking in Scotland, July 10th?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

I do almost every other day commuting

but youre a Jock... normal rules dont apply Mr. Green

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:06 - 23 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Old guy - New Rider - Fallen Already Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

Anyway - come on Spring!

Welcome to BCF , glad you weren’t harmed and the bike is okay.
Glad it didn’t put you off biking Thumbs Up .

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:37 - 23 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Old guy - New Rider - Fallen Already Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Welcome to BCF , glad you weren’t harmed and the bike is okay.
Glad it didn’t put you off biking Thumbs Up .

Thanks.

I'm no stranger to falling off bikes coming from a mountain biking background. I've some big trips in mind hence the 20L tank so wont be put off easily Wink
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DaddyStu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:28 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
why are you riding around on ice as a new rider

shawly you have a car as well at your age iv rode in all weathers when i was young but screw riding around on ice unless thers no other choice

Was 8 degC when I went out with no sign of the dreaded slippery stuff - not even frost on grass. Left it for the warmest day of the week. My route happened to take me over one small patch on a shaded portion of a roundabout.

No big deal though - minimal damage to bike and none to this vessel in which I travel either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1