Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

sauerkraut, any lovers on here?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: sauerkraut, any lovers on here? Reply with quote

wench bought some because its supposed to be very healthy.
i thought it tasted rank Sick

can you mix it into things to make it bearable? looking for some inspiration.

on the other hand, she picked up some Kimchi, which i think is the Korean version, and i quite liked that. ive been adding it to cheese sarnies.
the trouble is its many times the price of sauerkraut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:21 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate peas. Is there anything that I can add to them to disguise a taste I detest?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: sauerkraut, any lovers on here? Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

on the other hand, she picked up some Kimchi, which i think is the Korean version, and i quite liked that. ive been adding it to cheese sarnies.

Make your own.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I hate peas. Is there anything that I can add to them to disguise a taste I detest?

arsenic?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:15 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversely I love the taste of other peoples tears when they cannot compete in the intellectual arena.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Vanilla icecream.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Cheese

Cheesy peas is delish!!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: sauerkraut, any lovers on here? Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Fuck the price
Kimchi is proper delicious English food and good for you too.
I know it's English cos I buy mine locally.

Sauerkraut is foreign EU muck and nasty shit made
by filthy foreigners who probably piss in it.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Cheese

Cheesy peas is delish!!

Squeezy cheesy peas?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Conversely I love the taste of other peoples tears when they cannot compete in the intellectual arena.

You'll never know the taste of my tears.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local Tesco have fresh sauerkraut, yum Smile If you're not into it maybe start with pickled onions or beetroot and work your way up Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:34 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: sauerkraut, any lovers on here? Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Make your own.

This.

They are basically sliced raw veggies stuffed into a jar and covered with spiced salt and sugar brine then forgotten about on a shelf for a few weeks. You can make them with leftovers or sad looking veggies from the reduced section.

The most expensive thing is fancy jars with a blow-off valve so it desn't explode on you but they are unecessary, just don't screw the lid all the way down. You don't even need a seeding culture to set it off.

Kombucha, yoghurt and keffir are likewise easy and cheap to make yourself but you do need a starter culture (and a yoghurt maker for the milk-based ones). So buy one small pot or bottle to get it going. You can even freeze the kombucha culture once you have it.

I regularly make keffir. I throw the dregs of the last batch into the yoghurt maker, add a carton of UHT milk and turn it on. 8 hours later you have a litre of keffir.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:36 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, i like a serving of saurkraut with a chippy supper.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had sauerkraut once, in Germany actually. I seem to remember it was ok, nothing to write home about.
Better still, home made spiced red cabbage, served steaming hot from the oven. I recommend recipes of this by Delia Smith and Rick Stein Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:05 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germas aren't big into spicy food as a general rule. If you make your own saurkraut, you can pep it up a bit with some garlic, mustard seeds, cloves, peppercorns and maybe throw a dried chilli in the jar.

It's supposed to be very beneficial to your gut because it's fermented, full of probiotics. Funny how anything that's supposed to be good for your guts also makes you fart hugely and frequently.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

It's supposed to be very beneficial to your gut because it's fermented, full of probiotics. Funny how anything that's supposed to be good for your guts also makes you fart hugely and frequently.

Think of the planet! Laughing

Sorry, wrong conversation...

Rick Stein's recipe isn't actually a spiced one if I remember rightly. But Delia's one is heaven - spices are cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg. Other ingredients:red cabbage, apple, onion, garlic, wine vinegar, brown sugar, a little butter, seasoning. I could just wolf down a plateful of the stuff on its own Drooling
Never tried it cold though, come to think of it. Probably would be quite nice still. I just always gently reheated it for next day or whenever.

My favourite in Germany was Jager Schnitzel with chips and mayo.

Oh, and strawberries in Altbier.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 17:25 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sauerkraut in perogies instead of potato is quite popular were l live (Lots Ukrainian descendants). On its own its quite good fried with garlic.

Really good in a reuben sandwich too.

https://www.seriouseats.com/thmb/H4EToSvkPiMjXilHVBHmpTehM3s=/1500x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/20220919-Reuben-Amanda-Suarez-25-Hero-a2d20d81e56641a098e6db49b6e30b41.jpg
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I had sauerkraut once, in Germany actually. I seem to remember it was ok, nothing to write home about.
Better still, home made spiced red cabbage, served steaming hot from the oven. I recommend recipes of this by Delia Smith and Rick Stein Thumbs Up

They seem to have a thing about cabbage and not wasting any left overs of it.
Pretty nice mixed with chunks of stewed apple and raisins
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: sauerkraut, any lovers on here? Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
...sauerkraut...

Czechs eat sauerkraut but very rarely as is. We mostly use it as an ingredient to cook traditional meals.

My favourite being the ''Zelnacka'' which is a Sauerkraut soup with sausage and potatoes, have a look here: https://www.cooklikeczechs.com/zelnacka-czech-sauerkraut-soup/

Have also look at ''segedinsky gulas (Székelygulyás)''.

We also use sauerkraut as a side dish to roast pork and other meats. Once again, not as is, but cooked. Diced onions, oil/fat, cumin, sauerkraut, water... cook until the sauerkraut gets soft, then use flour or grated potato to thicken it, add salt and pepper.

NOTE: If the sauerkraut is too pungent, wash it in cold water before use.

EDIT: I do not use flour when cooking Sauerkraut soup. I start the same as described in the recipe, but instead of flour I then throw two medium size grated potatoes into the soup and boil them a bit to thicken the soup. You may also use potato starch powder. Also, instead of the chicken stock I use beef stock or even plain water, when I don't have the time.

EDIT II (side dish): https://www.cooklikeczechs.com/braised-sauerkraut-czech-dusene-kysane-zeli/

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: sauerkraut, any lovers on here? Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Sauerkraut is foreign EU muck and nasty shit made
by filthy foreigners who probably piss in it.

Funny you should say that. It's not quite the case for sauerkraut, but a friend of mine (60 y.o.) once told me about his job, that he had 40+ years ago at a cabbage processing farm, where they trampled the cabbage. One of the ladies doing the job, bare feet marching in a vat full of cabbage, needed to go to the loo. Long story short, she removed her panties and pissed right into to the cabage, then carried on with her job. Thinking

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Squeezy cheesy peas?

The smell of Cheesy Peas makes me sneeze.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 22 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
Sauerkraut in perogies instead of potato is quite popular were l live (Lots Ukrainian descendants). On its own its quite good fried with garlic.

Really good in a reuben sandwich too.

https://www.seriouseats.com/thmb/H4EToSvkPiMjXilHVBHmpTehM3s=/1500x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/20220919-Reuben-Amanda-Suarez-25-Hero-a2d20d81e56641a098e6db49b6e30b41.jpg

Fat Cow, Fat cow.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 23 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, like most foodstuffs, you can get good sauerkraut and you can get nasty sauerkraut. Think of the range of quality you can get in a Chinese takeaway.

You could go to one place and the chicken chow mein should be just chucked straight in the bin without even stopping to put the lid back on ... but if you find a decent chicken chow mein, you want to marry it.

I would marry that sandwich and have its babies. Looks fucking 'andsome. Is it on rye bread? I can just feel the sensual schmooze of the melted cheese and all that grease leaking out between your fingers. Fuck yes. Wub

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 23 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made red cabbage this weekend to go with the roast pork (shoulder). It was well nice.

Chucked it all into a saucepan with a knob of butter, an espresso cup of water and half an apple, oh yeah and a handful of raisins, put a lid on it and cooked the bollocks out of it for twenty mins, then splashed a bit of vinegar on it. Turned it off and left it to soak overnight.

Then when the senior consort picked me up, I drained all the juice off it, put it in a tupperware and once it got to his house, I just nuked it and tossed it around in a bit more vinegar, salt and pepper.

He reckoned he'd never normally consider red cabbage as a thing for eating, but he said he really enjoyed it.

Cool Thumbs Up

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick with my coleslaw.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2