Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Could I connect a capacitor in paralell to the battery?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 01 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
...What I haven't checked is if a near totally flat battery will immediately pull down any current generated by a kick preventing it starting. A knowledgeable friend has suggested if this was to happen, connecting a power resistor in the battery positive should allow the cap to charge first but still allow some charge to get into the battery once running.

It seems to me that a discharged capacitor would be a more likely current path than a flat battery. Perhaps further experimentation is in order. Like maybe connecting the circuit as described and attempting to start the engine on a flat battery (with and without the resistor). Then you will know for sure how the system will react to your modification.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:34 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. Don't have a flat battery just now and I don't want to deliberately flatten one.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:41 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough. I would not willingly flatten a serviceable battery either, unless I had one that was getting on in years.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

It seems to me that a discharged capacitor would be a more likely current path than a flat battery.

Yes far lower internal resistance/impedance..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltage Sensitive Relay.

It only triggers after detecting a charging voltage for a few seconds, ie: when it's running.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:31 - 05 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did it again, left the ignition on on my other bullet while I was sat chatting and drinking tea with a mate. It had just enough juice left in it to start and idle but if I increased the revs above idle, it would die. I had a very slow ride home at under 10mph and coasting down hills (thankful for trials gearing which will pull at idle or I'd have had to call for a lift).

Good opportunity to try the capacitor with a flat battery though. Measured 8.5V on the battery, dropping to 4.5V when the points closed which was only just enough to get an idle but immediately died if you increased the revs (presumably the flat battery taking any alternator output leaving nothing for the coil). Fitted a capacitor and after a couple of stutters, it fired up properly and revved normally showing 12.8v in the loom.

Seems like I can safely leave the capacitor in there all the time and it should start on a flat battery. If it doesn't, disconnecting the battery will get me home. The lights will work on this bike too because they are AC on a different phase. It probably doesn't really need a battery at all.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2