Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR125 what do these do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

2tenjoyer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: NSR125 what do these do? Reply with quote

Hello,

Help me understand these 4 things im showing in the video. I guess the 2nd one is for a sprocket? 1st and 2nd have some play in them (lmk if this is good). Also which have to spin and can I spin them if the engine isnt running like rn when cleaning or whatever? The 3rd is some sort of a coupling, what might it do? Fourth no idea. Have a great day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 gear change shaft
2 drive sprocket
3 breather/vent
4 cable tidy, to stop cables flapping about near the drive sprocket

Last edited by WD Forte on 14:18 - 26 Jan 2023; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:17 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gearshift shaft. Gearbox output shaft for the final drive sprocket. Horribly gummed up breather stub. Clip for wiring and/or breather hose.

First rotates about 45 degrees either way to select the gears. Second will rotate freely when in neutral and will turn the engine when in gear. Third should be clean and clear to allow any excess gas pressure to escape from the engine. Don't poke anything in it because you'll poke that dirt into the engine. Fourth is a clip, it clips things to stop them waving about in the breeze.

2tenjoyer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Gearshift shaft. Gearbox output shaft for the final drive sprocket. Horribly gummed up breather stub. Clip for wiring and/or breather hose.

First rotates about 45 degrees either way to select the gears. Second will rotate freely when in neutral and will turn the engine when in gear. Third should be clean and clear to allow any excess gas pressure to escape from the engine. Don't poke anything in it because you'll poke that dirt into the engine. Fourth is a clip, it clips things to stop them waving about in the breeze.

Thank you. The gearshift shaft doesn’t move at the moment. I don’t know if that’s how it should be right now. The drive sprocket is all okay then. What about both of them moving in and out in the clip?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:13 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

2tenjoyer wrote:

Thank you. The gearshift shaft doesn’t move at the moment. I don’t know if that’s how it should be right now. The drive sprocket is all okay then. What about both of them moving in and out in the clip?

You probably won't be able to move the gearshift without a lever on it and the engine rotating slightly.

Some lateral play is normal.

2tenjoyer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opened the 2nd engine. What does everything in the pictures do? What might be missing? Also how to split the crankcase, there isn’t a crankshaft in it but the moon thingy or whatever goes through both of them. There is a spring and a nut that fell out in the 2nd picture.

How should I start dissasembling the engine going in the frame? Attaching some pics of it. I don’t have any special tools at the moment, so nothing complicated. Just unscrewing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:56 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to get a workshop manual. It's great that you're getting into doing your own maintainance but you obviously don't have even a basic idea of what the parts of this engine are and what they do and you're starting with incomplete engines. You are going to be in over your head very quickly indeed.

I'd have a go at dismantling and reassembling an engine without a manual but I have 20 years of experience doing it and understand how they work. Even then, I would almost certainly need to look some things up for clearances and measurements and I'd have paid attention to how it went together. Start with missing parts and you're onto a hiding to nothing.

Keep taking lots of pictures at every stage so you can look back at them and see what went where, in what order and in what position.

Haynes/clymer manuals are good because they explain things in plain english. Official Honda ones are great because they are very detailed with full diagrams of all the parts and give you the order of operations on how to dissasemble and reassemble things but they assume certain amount of knowledge of how to actually do these things.

2tenjoyer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You really need to get a workshop manual. It's great that you're getting into doing your own maintainance but you obviously don't have even a basic idea of what the parts of this engine are and what they do and you're starting with incomplete engines. You are going to be in over your head very quickly indeed.

I'd have a go at dismantling and reassembling an engine without a manual but I have 20 years of experience doing it and understand how they work. Even then, I would almost certainly need to look some things up for clearances and measurements and I'd have paid attention to how it went together. Start with missing parts and you're onto a hiding to nothing.

Keep taking lots of pictures at every stage so you can look back at them and see what went where, in what order and in what position.

Haynes/clymer manuals are good because they explain things in plain english. Official Honda ones are great because they are very detailed with full diagrams of all the parts and give you the order of operations on how to dissasemble and reassemble things but they assume certain amount of knowledge of how to actually do these things.

I’m also using manuals.

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:53 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have bitten off more than you can chew. Study manual more closely and watch videos of 2T strip downs. If you are still struggling some back or go to a local mechanic for help. Good luck

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 28 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the NSR engine but the moon thingy looks like a balance shaft

I agree you may be taking on a lot at your stage of learning
and its difficult know what's missing precisely and the condition of what you do have without a good service manual.

I'd regard all that as 'spares, possibly useful' at best

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:55 - 28 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what year your NSR is, but there are exploded parts diagrams here for various model years:

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nsr125_model1222/

I'd have to agree that this is a big project for someone with little experience or knowledge. If it was me, I'd spend some time learning the basics of what makes your 2-stroke motor work before I dismantled anything else. There's plenty of good resources on YouTube that'll help you with that.

Fair play to you for getting stuck in though. Good luck with it Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1