Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend a bike for my wife

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 05 May 2023    Post subject: Recommend a bike for my wife Reply with quote

Currently riding a Rebel 500.

I should mention she's a shortarse at only 5' 2" and doesn't feel confident handling heavy bikes. The Rebel was a perfect starter bike for her as it's both very lightweight AND has a very very low seat height.

She wants to change to something with a bit (or a lot) more wind protection.

She says she's happy with the 47bhp on the Rebel 500 and says she doesn't need/want to go any faster but personally I think she's outgrown the bike but doesn't realise what she's missing out on and that it's not all about blisteringly quick acceleration and outright top speed, but the point of having more power on tap is to make overtakes easy and cruising more relaxed, not increasing your overall riding speed or style.

Anyway that aside, she is complaining from the wind blast on her helmet and chest and isn't comfortable riding much over 50-60mph because she feels like she's hanging on for dear life LOL.

I suggested a Ninja 650 to her as it's a fully faired bike, relatively light and low. But she said it's too sporty for her.

I'm thinking Tiger 900 GT Low (the one lowered from the factory) with the lowered seat in its lowest position. The reduced height seat might make for a firm ride but once she gets used to the bike and gains confidence on it I'm thinking maybe upgrade the seat to a comfort seat which will probably raise her up a couple of CM but hopefully won't be a problem if she's used to the bike by that time.

She's not convinced about the Tiger and says it looks huge. There aren't many in stock in dealers around here. There's one in Croydon so we were going to have a ride there at some point to see it in the flesh so she can sit on it and see how she feels about it.

In the meantime however, any other suggestions? Any obvious bikes I've overlooked?

Criteria are:
Lightweight
Low seat height
Front fairing with windscreen to deflect wind and keep her in a calm riding bubble

A GSA has already been suggested to me by some funny fucker! Serious recommendations only please LOL.

Last edited by DUCAUDI on 14:43 - 06 May 2023; edited 1 time in total

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:05 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say light, rebel is about 180kg!

KTM duke 790. Add a screen.

Hornet 600, screen needed too.

BMW r1200r with lowered seat, heavier, but Mrs k at 5'3" could flat foot it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:31 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF policy: Pictures of 'wife' or we won't believe you. Very Happy

Kawasaki ERF 600. Parrlel Twin.
Looks pretty and the fairing gives a little wind protection.
Fairly manageable dimensionally and for manoeuvrability.
A bit vibey due to the twin.
Not too aggressive in the power thing.
Comfortable.

Only negative I found was the brakes could be better.
Maybe Brembo pads would help that.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:09 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make a version of the BMW F800GT with a low seat.

ER6F is also a good shout.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger 660 with low seat ?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:52 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she's happy with the current bike, you can get fairly big handlebar mounted batwing fairings for them. May also be able to get some of lower cruiser fairing, I haven't looked.

If she's happy with the power, she's happy with the power. I like having about 50hp in a bike built for it, it's enough to enjoy at legal speeds with enough left over to be a bit silly. 100+hp is fun, but a lot harder to enjoy at lower speeds.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this screen on my Rebel:

https://i.imgur.com/Sc2IjNO.jpg

IIRC it made a fair difference. You can go bigger...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0087/0324/6396/products/Puig-Batwing-SML-Touring-Screen-BlackLight-Smoke-Honda-CMX-500-Rebel-20172019-Screens-M21060H.jpg?v=1649421819

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your input!

I should have said we're probably looking at a new bike, so something still in production today, or if we did go used would be 2020 or later.

Kentol750 wrote:
You say light, rebel is about 180kg!

KTM duke 790. Add a screen.

Hornet 600, screen needed too.

BMW r1200r with lowered seat, heavier, but Mrs k at 5'3" could flat foot it.

790 Duke - According to MCN it's the same weight as the Rebel 500 but with a 13.5cm higher seat

Hornet 600 - Probably too old now

R1200R - +40kg and +10cm

You can stick a windshield on virtually any naked bike. And coming from my MT10 (with a large touring windshield) to my Multistrada I can see a world of difference in wind blast between a naked with a large touring screen and a sports tourer / tourer / ADV designed to keep the wind off you with frontal fairings.

Thanks for the suggestions!

MCN wrote:
Kawasaki ERF 600. Parrlel Twin.

I take your point, and this is the path I was trying to lead her down with the newer Ninja 650. I think they're basically the same bike it's just the Ninja 650 replaced the ER6F with a name change??? She just took one look at it and said it's too sporty. I'm going to try to get her to sit on one and see how it feels because although it looks like a sports bike to the untrained eye, the 'clip-ons' are actually quite high up, not sure how far back the pegs are though? I think this is about the tamest ergos you're going to find on something that looks like a sports bike?

stinkwheel wrote:
They make a version of the BMW F800GT with a low seat.

Thanks! I did look at this bike as well and it's still on my radar. I think between the Ninja 650, the Tiger 900 GT Low and the F800GT - the F800GT would probably be the most appropriate bike for her... IF she can manage it (it's a wee bit porkier than the other two).

F800GT - 765mm (with the lowered seat)
Tiger 900 GT Low - 770mm (with seat in lowest position)
Ninja 650 - 790mm (not sure if they do a lowered seat for this bike?)

Also I believe the F800GT is no longer in production? So might be a challenge finder a nice late year one.

A100man wrote:
tiger 660 with low seat ?

I looked at these. Bizarrely even with the lower seat, they're higher than the 900 GT Low.

Robby wrote:
If she's happy with the current bike, you can get fairly big handlebar mounted batwing fairings for them. May also be able to get some of lower cruiser fairing, I haven't looked.

If she's happy with the power, she's happy with the power. I like having about 50hp in a bike built for it, it's enough to enjoy at legal speeds with enough left over to be a bit silly. 100+hp is fun, but a lot harder to enjoy at lower speeds.

Easy-X wrote:
I had this screen on my Rebel:

IIRC it made a fair difference. You can go bigger...

Point taken but I still think she'd benefit from some additional power, even if it's only 10 or 20 extra bhp. She complains about the longer rides being tiring but I think that would be minimised not only by more wind protection but also the extra ease of cruising that comes from something in the region of at least 60 to 70bhp (anything more than that is a bonus). Yeah 47bhp is fine round town but for some A road and motorway stuff, it gets a bit fatiguing. Also from a selfish point of view I'm getting fed up keep hanging around waiting for her to catch up LOL so I usually stick her up front and only overtake when a change of direction is needed then let her overtake again until the next junction or roundabout.

We've looked at the Rebel 1100 but she doesn't like the look of the cruisers with batwing front fairings. I think something like the F800GT is the style of bike that appeals to her most. Doesn't look like a sports bike or a cruiser. She's done the cruiser thing. The wind blast is getting on her tits (quite literally). I'm not convinced a touring screen and/or batwing fairing for the Rebel 500 or even a bigger cruiser is going to cut it long term but to be fair, while probably not the long term solution we're looking for, could be a quick improvement to increasing her riding comfort while we deliberate further as to her next bike.

Might be worth having a closer look at the BMW range like the F750GS and the F850GS to see what the seats heights are with lowered seats (if these are an option). These are parallel twins, right?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 750gs sport comes in a low version, we have one in work and apart from being very heavy is quite good for shorter riders.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:39 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moto Guzzi V85 with a touring screen could be worth a look then.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:03 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a super-scooter? Mate had a Honda X-adv and it was no slouch.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 06 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did somebody say Sportster? I'm sure you can get a flyscreen for the Sportster, although that Puig batwing looks pretty cool.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:10 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
The 750gs sport comes in a low version, we have one in work and apart from being very heavy is quite good for shorter riders.

Do you work at a dealership then?

The BMW website says 815mm as standard, 760mm with the OE suspension lowering kit, and the OE extra low seat is 780mm

I assume the 780mm quoted for the extra low seat is on the standard non-lowered suspension? So combine the two and you get 725mm?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:24 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUCAUDI wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:

Do you work at a dealership then?

The BMW website says 815mm as standard, 760mm with the OE suspension lowering kit, and the OE extra low seat is 780mm

I assume the 780mm quoted for the extra low seat is on the standard non-lowered suspension? So combine the two and you get 725mm?

Seat height can be a weird standard. They measure across the top of the lowest height of the seat.
Butt... The shape of the seat has a greater effect on reach to the ground as it pushes your legs out if the seat is wide.

Really sitting on the fkr b4 u buy is important.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:26 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

However a crude yardstick such as taking seat height alone can wittle an expansive list down to a nice shortlist of a handful of bikes to consider / sit on in the showroom.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:49 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
What about a super-scooter? Mate had a Honda X-adv and it was no slouch.

820mm seat height? Seems like quite a big scooter! I know we've already said seat height isn't everything but still, with offerings from BMW, Triumph and Kawasaki well under 800mm seems like one of them might be the better option.

Besides she wants a geared bike and I wouldn't be seen dead riding with her on that LOL.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:41 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

F750GS low seat is fine for an inseam of 28". Anything 800mm plus is going to feel like a wobbler.

Anything that has all hell sculpted out of the seat foam will be uncomfortable unless you're a masochist.

I think something designed to be a certain height is better than something that you have to fettle to a certain height.

One of the last model Tiger 800 low models would probably be nice too.

I wouldn't kid yourself that BMW are made of better chinesium because they aren't.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:58 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUCAUDI wrote:

Besides she wants a geared bike and I wouldn't be seen dead riding with her on that LOL.

It is geared, in the same way as a VFR1200, DCT gears. Autoshift or push button. I'd mentioned that one because I'd ridden with one but it's probably the tallest of the superscooters.

I reckon you're scared she'll show you up.

It's a shame Ducati don't make a non-adventure bike with a fairing. You obviously like your Ducatis and the Monsters are excellent for shorter riders due to their narrowness.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:10 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to go to a few big dealerships and sit on some bikes. It sounds like your budget will cover lots, so that constraint can be largely ignored for now.

You want a bike that can be handled by short person, with some wind protection and over 50hp. You've ruled out sports bikes and cruisers.

That doesn't leave a lot of easy choices. Cruisers are good for shorties and can have fairings. Adventures bikes will meet the power and comfort requirements, but are tricky on seat height. Classically-styled bikes are unlikely to meet the wind protection without looking ugly. Proper tourers are fairly rare now apart from big, heavy machines.

So it looks like your best bet is some kind of middleweight adventure bike with a lowering kit. The advantage is that a lot of the R&D money over the last decade has gone into them, so they tend to have nice gimmicks and plenty of accessories available.

Also it's a wife bike, so prettiness is important. If you're going to Croydon for a look, also pop into In-moto, my local dealer. They have KTM, Ducati and Moto Guzzi.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Re: Recommend a bike for my wife Reply with quote

DUCAUDI wrote:
Criteria are:
Lightweight
Low seat height
Front fairing with windscreen to deflect wind and keep her in a calm riding bubble

To be honest your misses isn't looking for a bike, she's looking for a scooter.

Honda Forza 750:

1. Not light but has a low centre of gravity so it feels light,
2. Low seat,
3. Fully faired with full height windscreen and fairings that extend wider than the rider so her legs won't be in the rain/ wind from the front,
4. Can get handguards and thermal mits on the handlebar so her wee fingies don't get cold,
5. Tons of storage,
6. Fast enough to keep up with your bike if you're out touring together.

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/scooter/forza-750/overview.html

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:23 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is also a short arse, 5'1 3/4". She had a lowered CBF500 for a while and is now riding a 2020 Triumph Street Twin. She loves it, with the stock seat it's lower enough for her to be comfortable and confident on it. The Twin 900cc engine gives about 64bhp which is enough to have fun on the backroads and sit comfortably long distances on motorways.

Granted, there's not a huge amount of wind protection. She has the little fly screen which is a small improvement. Think there are larger screens about if desired.

Might be worth a test ride anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with all you growed men with petite wives?

Am ah missing something? Thinking

Perverts Very Happy

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
What is it with all you growed men with petite wives?

Am ah missing something? Thinking

Perverts Very Happy

I'm 6'5" and my current gf is 4'11" Laughing the girl before her was 5'2" so I really do go for small petite girls

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:43 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They get taller after GCSEs.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:47 - 07 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
They get taller after GCSEs.

Ouch....
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2