Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Nightmare CZ

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:12 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: The Nightmare CZ Reply with quote

So for some godawful reason I decided I wanted an old two stroke last year. No, I didn't go the (relatively) sensible route of something like an Aprilia RS125 (like I passed my test on at 17 back in 2008) but rather chose a piece Eastern Bloc ste.....

After about 9 months I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with this build. Bought it last year for about £300. It's turned into Triggers Broom......

Original 125 engine threw its main bearings shortly after getting it running - but miraculously still ran. I rebuilt it as a 175 with a new crank, barrel, piston and head (the cases and gears are the same as the 125). All bearings are now SKF.

Secondhand front wheel as original was rotten,
New stanchions (8 weeks to get here due to Czech snail Post and customs)
New chain,
New 6v battery,
New cables,
larger 26mm jikov carb,
Secondhand exhaust,
Rewelded steering stop,
Various parts powdercoated,
New gearbox dogs,
Secondhand dynamo off another engine (originals brush holder snapped)
The list goes on.....

Painted in two part rustbusters epoxy. Oh, spent fking HOURS drilling out the centrestand bolt that had seized solid as somehow the centrestand spring was missing and can't be refitted without removing the bolt.

Electrics were also a bloody nightmare. Someone had fitted tinfoil into the fuse holders and all bulbs blown. Had to get help with this as 6v electrics are a total mystery to me.

Brakes have been rebuilt as well. Drum brakes being a first for me.

Hasn't been on the road since 1991.

Rebuilding had been a nightmare. Parts diagrams are of appalling quality, nobody uses parts numbers, torque figures don't exist etc etc etc

With any luck it'll be MOT ready in another week or so

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me,

That all sounds like very standard stuff on getting an old vehicle on the road though, Eastern or not.

Good luck on the MOT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fine looking machine - you are truly blessed. I'm particularly fond of the screwdriver brake lever pivot. It's an exciting detour from the mundane shouldered bolt

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my ex's grandad saying he used to have a CZ, it was that bad he left it in a ditch and abandoned it
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:17 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
I remember my ex's grandad saying he used to have a CZ, it was that bad he left it in a ditch and abandoned it

I wouldn't even have dignified it with dumping it in a ditch.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:21 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't say you weren't warned Wink... Says the man who has several boxes full of Minsk 125 sat in his shed.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:35 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! Best of luck with the test Thumbs Up

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:09 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post has a tone that suggests, now all of that work is done, it will now be an MOT pass and plain sailing afterwards.

I would suggest a top box to carry the tools you'll need.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:13 - 02 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

I would suggest a top box to carry the pair of walking boots you will inevitably need on a daily basis

FIFY

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:09 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

its made it this far in life already. It'll be fresh for another 20yrs after you're done with it. Most things like this is a case of undoing previous cheap mods and doing it right, whether that was bad from owner or bad from factory.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:02 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting plain sailing. About the only thing that hasn't been taken apart and worked on/changed is the swingarm bolt - as it's siezed - but the bushes are still good and no play. The shocks are also brand new from NJB Engineering. If the bushes in the SA do go then I'll drill the bolt out but could do without that arsehole of a job right now!

The only thing that really concerns me are the electrics. They've also been largely replaced, new points along with the condenser and brushes. The lights are obviously shockingly awful and probably downright dangerous for night use. If I didn't have to get new stanchions for my VFR (slightly pitted although not leaking but it annoys me to look at) I would have bought a VAPE electronic igniton kit - I may yet. The general maintenance of the points system is a mystery to me so will be leaning on friends to teach me.

The screwdriver pivot will be removed soon as the bushes for the levers arrive......

I've got a 100% reliable VFR1200F to fall back on and a pretty reliable CBF500 as well.

If it doesn't cause me too much bother over the coming weeks I'll be going to the owners meet in Nantwich at the end of June. If it hasn't caused me to totally lose the plot I'll also be taking it to the Dragon Rally next year in place of the CBF that usually goes.

I have no illusiion that it'll likely be absolutely terrible in practically every regard but that is half of the fun!

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:05 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Rob Fzs wrote:

I wouldn't even have dignified it with dumping it in a ditch.

Funnily enough 1 of two bikes that I've gotten close to doing exactly that on was a Triumph Sprint! The other being a K1300

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:07 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
its made it this far in life already. It'll be fresh for another 20yrs after you're done with it. Most things like this is a case of undoing previous cheap mods and doing it right, whether that was bad from owner or bad from factory.

Yeah, there is certainly a lot of that that's been happening. I still cannot fathom how the centrestand spring and lever got removed but the stand remained. Had L plates on it when I got it - previous owner got it at a house clearance - so suggests a lot of the bodges were typical 17 year old 125 riders doing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:20 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to it, I've seen an air chisel with a bit of round bar in place of the chisel used to good effect to remove a stuck swingarm pivot.

The trouble with the dynamos on most of those jawa/CZ bikes is the brush holders are made of bakelite which degrades over time and crumbles to bits. Don't know if there's a good solution short of making up a replacement brush holder out of something more robust. I suppose in the days of 3D printing that becomes more accessable. Maybe even making up a silicone mould from a new set and "casting" some in thickened epoxy? People used to make new brushes by cutting/filing down old washing machine brushes.

Swapping out the charge relay for a modern one is also not a bad idea. If the relay fails, your charging system fails. When that red charging light comes on, you are no longer charging, even if it was caused by the charging relay failing.

The VAPE systems are excellent. Fit and forget. Only downside is the price.

if you can get hold of the skoda points, they have contact surfaces made entirely out of the contact material, the CZ ones are a thin sliver on base matal which can errode through distressingly quickly. Especially if you use resistor plug caps and/or plugs.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:

The screwdriver pivot will be removed soon as the bushes for the levers arrive......

Crying or Very sad

PotatoHead2020 wrote:

I have no illusiion that it'll likely be absolutely terrible in practically every regard but that is half of the fun!

Cool

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:13 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
When it comes to it, I've seen an air chisel with a bit of round bar in place of the chisel used to good effect to remove a stuck swingarm pivot.

The trouble with the dynamos on most of those jawa/CZ bikes is the brush holders are made of bakelite which degrades over time and crumbles to bits. Don't know if there's a good solution short of making up a replacement brush holder out of something more robust. I suppose in the days of 3D printing that becomes more accessable. Maybe even making up a silicone mould from a new set and "casting" some in thickened epoxy? People used to make new brushes by cutting/filing down old washing machine brushes.

Swapping out the charge relay for a modern one is also not a bad idea. If the relay fails, your charging system fails. When that red charging light comes on, you are no longer charging, even if it was caused by the charging relay failing.

The VAPE systems are excellent. Fit and forget. Only downside is the price.

if you can get hold of the skoda points, they have contact surfaces made entirely out of the contact material, the CZ ones are a thin sliver on base matal which can errode through distressingly quickly. Especially if you use resistor plug caps and/or plugs.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened with the brush holder, just snapped off.

What do you mean by charger relay sorry? I can't remember any type of relay other than the one for the indicators.
AFAIK the points were Tesla branded?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:43 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:

What do you mean by charger relay sorry? I can't remember any type of relay other than the one for the indicators.

Maybe it's different to the one's I've seen. They usually have a charging warning light on the dash. This shows it's taking power for the ignition from the battery. The light is controlled by a normally closed relay which is triggered by a wire from the dynamo (labelled 86 on the ones I ran). When there's power coming from the dyno, the relay opens and turns the light off.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:29 - 03 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
PotatoHead2020 wrote:

Maybe it's different to the one's I've seen. They usually have a charging warning light on the dash. This shows it's taking power for the ignition from the battery. The light is controlled by a normally closed relay which is triggered by a wire from the dynamo (labelled 86 on the ones I ran). When there's power coming from the dyno, the relay opens and turns the light off.

Ah, yes there is definitley a light there. We've gone through it and said light only intermittently comes on with the ignition. Luckily it isn't coming on at all when running. Certain I can't see a relay however.....
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1