Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

what to ride as a returning rider

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hudson1984
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:43 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: what to ride as a returning rider Reply with quote

Hi all,

i've been away from motorbikes for a few years now but keen to get something to go for a ride of a weekend.

I'm not too fussed about being the fasted thing on two wheels but equally, would like something over 600cc - I had a CBR600F which I rebuilt from frame up and keen to have something else.

I like the idea of an adventure bike, but wonder if it'll be as fun to ride.
Also like tourers, something like an FJR or VFR
REALLY love a retro style of bike, like a Triumph speedmaster, but budget won't go to a 1200 sadly and I'd heard the 800 was underpowered.

I've got about £5000 to spend. Any suggestions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:52 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

1080 tiger sport. ADV bike styling and height, sportsbike type performance.

They seem to be practically giving away multistradas at the moment if you can live with the ugly.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what purpose? What do you want to use it for?

Are you 70 or 25?

What have you ridden before outside of the CBR and what do you really look for in a bike? Looks? Credibility? Particular aspects of the ride?

Despite the fact there's a lot of very similar bikes out there these days, there's still a lot needs to be known until any recommendations make absolute sense.

5 grand buys you a newish Enfield Interceptor or an aging uperbike. The finer detail narrows down the field.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hudson1984
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:11 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
For what purpose? What do you want to use it for?

Are you 70 or 25?

What have you ridden before outside of the CBR and what do you really look for in a bike? Looks? Credibility? Particular aspects of the ride?

Despite the fact there's a lot of very similar bikes out there these days, there's still a lot needs to be known until any recommendations make absolute sense.

5 grand buys you a newish Enfield Interceptor or an aging uperbike. The finer detail narrows down the field.

yep good point.

I'm 38, but had a hip replaced so a low-ish seat height would be nice.

in terms of use, nothing more than a bit of a ride at the weekend to clear the fuzz of the week (so country roads etc) and potentially take the monthly ride to the office (150 miles each way)

I've only ever ridden my old CBR600f, and a Yamaha 600 I learned on so i'm really green to how everything else feels - I've had test rides here and there but nothing major.

in terms of what I look for, I think it's to be an all rounder. I'd like something fast enough to thrill but not necessarily be the only thing it's about i.e. I don't think i'd have an out and out sports bike....unless I found myself with more space then I'd get one to just stare at lol

SO yes, fast enough to be a thrill to ride, but comfortable enough that if I had chance to go for a long ride I'm not walking like an idiot afterwards. So potentially, tourer or adventurer.

I'm also really hoping to get into some social side of bikes too one way or another

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.postimg.cc/8zmFW4bS/TRIUMPHStreet-Triple-4905-6.jpg

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Re: what to ride as a returning rider Reply with quote

Hudson1984 wrote:

REALLY love a retro style of bike, like a Triumph speedmaster, but budget won't go to a 1200 sadly and I'd heard the 800 was underpowered.

I've got about £5000 to spend. Any suggestions

103mph it's not power you need to worry about, it's torque because that's what gives you accelleration and mid-range grunt.

However, at 44 foot pounds of torque and 260kg you better hope you don't come across any rice puddings that need de-skinning.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent adveture bikes are fine on the road but none that I have ridden have a low seat height. Also going on the premise you aren't that flexable, you aren't going to want a race rep.

If you think the 800 Triumph Speedmaster feels underpowered, don't go for the Enfield. Pretty as it is, exciting is not in it's vocabulary.

recmans vote of the Sreet Triple isn't a bad shout. I had one straight after a Busa and didn't miss the 70 odd difference in horses. And it handled better.

So many choices.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hudson1984 wrote:

yep good point.

I'm 38, but had a hip replaced so a low-ish seat height would be nice.

in terms of use, nothing more than a bit of a ride at the weekend to clear the fuzz of the week (so country roads etc) and potentially take the monthly ride to the office (150 miles each way)

I've only ever ridden my old CBR600f, and a Yamaha 600 I learned on so i'm really green to how everything else feels - I've had test rides here and there but nothing major.

in terms of what I look for, I think it's to be an all rounder. I'd like something fast enough to thrill but not necessarily be the only thing it's about i.e. I don't think i'd have an out and out sports bike....unless I found myself with more space then I'd get one to just stare at lol

SO yes, fast enough to be a thrill to ride, but comfortable enough that if I had chance to go for a long ride I'm not walking like an idiot afterwards. So potentially, tourer or adventurer.

I'm also really hoping to get into some social side of bikes too one way or another

Sorry, I was either in too much of a rush, or too drunk, to make that sound less harsh than it came across last night Thumbs Up

I'm an ex CBR600F rider and moved onto:
Triumph Sprint 1050 ST - too sportsbike in the riding position, not sporty enough to justify it.
KTM 990 SMT - absolutely brilliant in so many ways but utterly bamboozling to own and maintain. Riding it flat out was epic. Riding it home in the rain was downright ridiculous. Very tall and quite top heavy, so that would rule it out for you.

Now I have an R NineT which I'd happily recommend to you as it's a great little package, looks / sounds brilliant, is the sportiest and most like a CBR of any of the retro bikes out there for handling / brakes, and has that low seat height you're after. But with all that said, you'd need another £2,000 probably, and it's a bit heavy to push around at 230 ish kg, if your hip isn't up to it.

Fazer FZ1 might be a decent shout. Great all rounder.

Sounds daft but a Ducati Scrambler 800 might not be so tragic, Something different, soft but punchy. Or if you want to go a bit more aggressive a Monster 821 if you can stretch the budget up a bit.

Hudson1984
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:10 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah no worries mate, I didn't read it that way so no harm done.

I'm going to go test a Harley 1200 tomorrow, little over budget but comes with a long warranty and it's a local company.

Low for the leg, decent punchy engine, and a sizeable social aspect so ticks a lot of my boxes.

Do love the BMW you suggested though. Cracking looking bikes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:50 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hudson1984 wrote:

I'm going to go test a Harley 1200 tomorrow, little over budget but comes with a long warranty and it's a local company.

Low for the leg, decent punchy engine, and a sizeable social aspect so ticks a lot of my boxes.

Sit on iot for a good bit because you'll be taking a lot of your weight on your backside which may not be ideal for a dodgy hip. Heavy beasts.

I personally don't like them, all form over function. Can't think of something more far removed from a CBR6.

They are also gutless as hell. Lots of noise, not so much go unless you spend a lot of money making them go. A 1200 Sportster is making optimistically 60bhp (so 40 less than a CBR6) and weighs 80kg more than an alloy-framed CBR. I rode a heritage softail classic in Florida which had a 1450cc engine and it struggled to do much over 85mph two-up.

Hudson1984
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:15 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Hudson1984 wrote:

Sit on iot for a good bit because you'll be taking a lot of your weight on your backside which may not be ideal for a dodgy hip. Heavy beasts.

I personally don't like them, all form over function. Can't think of something more far removed from a CBR6.

They are also gutless as hell. Lots of noise, not so much go unless you spend a lot of money making them go. A 1200 Sportster is making optimistically 60bhp (so 40 less than a CBR6) and weighs 80kg more than an alloy-framed CBR. I rode a heritage softail classic in Florida which had a 1450cc engine and it struggled to do much over 85mph two-up.

What a bugger. Shame, I like the idea of the owners club, the social side is important to me too.

I don't mind being removed from the CBR as it's not really what i'm after this time around, always liked a cruiser but equally don't want to sit on something all bark and no bite.

I think perhaps you're all right, go for a naked or something like that. wind might annoy me though so will have to have a try

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165950861469?hash=item26a371309d:g:OjMAAOSwCLVj9PGA&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoGeEk39HPlUSAX4pePUPYGgvGI%2Fkq0Jo%2FHQyvDdWU%2FKCCi6T6IuhWUosHviNYWtZq3OVPUAw7x1RneWC4k6NQKubBFapGshVQXPeDHskmvaZg6H0l9EkcyQ4u7e9FeipDWJRN9Rg%2BN57Z2EVw82Yu7maxgQhs6pXVnIVPHQ8oRGnR4VlMPb8hTAldImSTxG69bOfzvZEXErbkLmgl7fdqCQ%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4Dsl_HRYQ

the Ducati Scrambler was a good shout. Seems a good option

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a Susuki Vstrom?
they seem to be quite popular with riding instructors around my way so i would imagine theyre decent bikes.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Kawasaki Versys? Should be well in budget.

On Vstrom's, I had a 1050 as a courtesy bike in December and at first glance thought it might be too tall for
me and my 32" inside leg but amazingly I was pretty comfortable on it height wise. The seat and riding position
were especially comfortable... looking at about 8k for a newish 1050 model though, I think there's a variant with a
smaller engine though which might be a bit cheaper.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hudson1984 wrote:

Any bike is thrilling if you ride it badly enough. Very Happy

Problem is that what you want, in a country lane scratcher, and a commuting mile muncher, is two often opposing things. The better a bike is at one, the worse it's likely to be at the other. So yes, you're probably going to want an all rounder.

Thankfully, there are absolutely loads of options with that budget, depending where you want to put the bias between scratching and commuting. But I'm gonna suggest a VFR800X. They're available in budget, you get adventure bike looks with a normalish seat height, it's friendly and accessible enough for a returning rider, with enough go for anyones realistic needs. Easy 200 mile tank range. They are a little bit on the lardy side, but not full tourer lardy.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the metric cruisers would have a more "normal" power output. Check out the Honda Rebel 500 & 1100.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

second bit of a advice is find a better forum this ones full of pricks

Shocked - how rude!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
5 grand buys you a newish Enfield Interceptor

Especially as you're into retros, that would be a great choice. They are incredibly popular at the moment for a reason.

to v or not to v wrote:
what about a Susuki Vstrom?
they seem to be quite popular with riding instructors around my way so i would imagine theyre decent bikes.

It's what I bought as my first bike when I returned after 30 years. No regrets at all, it was just the job. Day rideouts, took it touring in France, was excellent.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:58 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
arry wrote:
5 grand buys you a newish Enfield Interceptor

Especially as you're into retros, that would be a great choice. They are incredibly popular at the moment for a reason.

The Royal Enfield owners club are quite active too. Lots of meet up around the country.

Versys isn't a bad shout. With them being a twin, they are fairly narrow bikes which makes them feel lower than an inline 4 with the same seat height.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

ignore the clowns on here theres nothing wrong with harleys if you like em i road for 11 years with 3 knackered disks

I heard that the brakes were poor but I didn't realise they were so poor that you could go for years without noticing knackered discs Smile

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
dave001 wrote:

Shocked - how rude!

Kinda true about most forums.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:07 - 01 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

Why is dave001 so unhappy?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:16 - 01 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you say to him?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 01 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

Feature not a bug. I'd rather have one honest disagreeable man over a hundred obsequious yes men.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 01 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
dave001 wrote:

Why is dave001 so unhappy?

the Nobby effect Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2