Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:16 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

And you are comparing a Chinese built car with a western produced car. I wouldn't buy a Chinese bike and I won't buy a Chinese car. The playing field you are using is not level.

It reviews better than the European built cars. A Corsa is not exactly a watchword for quality. You were asking if there were equivalent cars, I'm responding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not opposed to electric vehicles other than being an utter cheapskate. I could probably afford one, but I drive an 18 year old car and 16 year old bike because I only use them a couple of times a week and my semi-competent spannering keeps them reliable on the cheap.

The range thing and charging time bothers me. Performing a near-instant battery swap to a fully charged unit would be ideal. Not so easy with a car although I recall reading that somewhere in the far east was playing with the idea. However swappable batteries for bikes seems like a very workable idea given the infrastructure and customers. Taiwan have allegedly experimented with it as seen here -

https://i.imgur.com/fmPNVjl.mp4

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:51 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:

What EV are you using?

Ioniq electric, the 40kwh one. That's after having two ioniq hybrids, so it's safe to say I'm quite fond of how they drive.

Your local charging points and zap map experience. When zap map says a charger is broken, I'd say that tends to be about 50% reliable. I have no idea why, but I've turned up at chargers that were down as broken, or 2 out of 4 working on zap map, to find them all working.

Also, terminology. 7kw is what I have on my house, it's what I use to charge from 50-100% in about 3 hours. 3kw is what you get from a 3 pin plug, last time I did a charge from nearly empty to full on one of them it took about 20 hours. 50kw and up is a proper DC fast charger, where you get to 80% in under an hour on just about anything.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:58 - 10 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

And you are comparing a Chinese built car with a western produced car. I wouldn't buy a Chinese bike and I won't buy a Chinese car. The playing field you are using is not level.

It reviews better than the European built cars. A Corsa is not exactly a watchword for quality. You were asking if there were equivalent cars, I'm responding.

So your assertion that EV's are as cheap as ICE's is based on your random aspects of your choices? Working on that principle I could say all EV's are dirt cheap compared with ICE's because Rolls Royces are more expensive,

The absolute, only comparable which are cheaper is comparing like for like - Corsa EV with Corsa ICE or whichever company you want.

ICE is cheaper than EV,

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:57 - 10 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The smaller the wheel the more unstable and twitchy the vehicle is. Those scooters have tiny wheels for their speed.

They are fine on a reasonable surface. The shite condition of our roads is not a reason for not using a scooter, the bloody roads should be maintained on a safe condition. I know 2 people who have broken their necks after hitting pot holes and going over the handle bars on push bikes ( both recovered) but that’s not a justification for not using push bikes, it’s a reason for our shite government to fix the roads.

I use an EUC, it’s got a bigger dia wheel than my bike, but it will probably never be legal because of the nanny state attitude by govt that it’s dangerous.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:14 - 10 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

So your assertion that EV's are as cheap as ICE's is based on your random aspects of your choices? Working on that principle I could say all EV's are dirt cheap compared with ICE's because Rolls Royces are more expensive,

The absolute, only comparable which are cheaper is comparing like for like - Corsa EV with Corsa ICE or whichever company you want.

ICE is cheaper than EV,

you can't compare that way, because the EV space is dominated by the non traditional manufacturers. The old school manufacturers who now produce EV's produce pricey mediocre ones. The great ones come from Korea and China. I'm saying that the price of an EV is not that far off the price of an entry level car. As I said, how many people buy a poverty spec Corsa brand new? Not many I'd wager. You can get corsas that cost £35k. I mean, a bum basic Mercedes hatch starts at that. The Golf starts at that, and can easily be optioned to £50k+
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:29 - 10 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be at the back of the queue for owning an EV. I like being a late adopter, it means I don't end up doing the manufacturers' beta testing for them. The only time I ever did anything that looked remotely 'ahead of the curve' was when I bought an electric Aixam back in the late 2000s. It did not end well.

That said, even I can see that the technology has advanced massively since the advent of the aforementioned pile of shite, but here in the sticks charging options are limited, and prices are still a long way from the level where I'd be prepared to (re) enter the market.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 10 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
I will be at the back of the queue for owning an EV. I like being a late adopter, it means I don't end up doing the manufacturers' beta testing for them.

Me too. It’s like the training sessions at work. If they schedule three sessions go to the last one because it will benefit from the questions raised at the previous ones. Unless, in response, they realise it isn’t going to work and cancel the third session. Laughing
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

chotabhai807
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:36 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to think that small capacity electric bikes cost more than a diamond encrusted Gold plated Rolls Royce. They don't. https://routerlogin.ltd/
https://pikashow.ltd/

Last edited by chotabhai807 on 14:06 - 28 Feb 2023; edited 1 time in total

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

chotabhai807 wrote:
You seem to think that small capacity electric bikes cost more than a diamond encrusted Gold plated Rolls Royce. They don't.

They aren't overly expensive but what you get for your money is crap. I'm looking at the Super Soco TC max and it's £4339, has a top speed of 60mph and can only do 60 miles on a charge Laughing Utter useless for anyone that doesn't live in a city unless you only plan on using it for a commute. You can get a CB125f for £3k, I just don't see any reason to go for the electric bike.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Getir crowd around here whizz about on electric mopeds. They fall off fairly regularly too, but I think that's the riders, not the bikes.

Electric makes a lot of sense for an urban motorcycle if there's regenerative braking; reduces brake wear and recoups some of that charge. Speeds are always relatively low, so power burn per mile in theory is lower than tanking along at VMax. I can see a lot of potential for 125 or lower category e-bikes for commuters; although a 60 mile range sounds naff, I suspect for most commuters on a small bike they aren't doing anything near that distance, while charging is likely far less onerous than with an electric car as we're not talking anything like the same kinds of capacity and probably is achievable on a 3 pin plug as opposed to needing a fancy charger.

Electric for a leisure motorcycle is a very different proposition. Common to do 200 mile day rides and many, including myself, don't set out with a specific route and distance in mind, instead take it as it comes. If you're range limited on an electric motorcycle you're likely to hit problems in that situation, especially given the areas we tend to ride are not furnished with fast chargers (unless your leisure riding focusses on motorways, towns and cities).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 20 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Electric for a leisure motorcycle is a very different proposition.

Absolutly, and the way things are going I think it will be the death knell for large leisure motorcycles. My Trophy has a range in excess of 250 miles however I ride it and anything less would worry me for touring.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 25 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revzilla's daily rider with the Sondor:

https://youtu.be/qqBy8uD6Qc0

Cheap (~6 bags) just about manages >60mph, range ~50 miles, 5 hour charge. Not a bad proposition for the Deliveroo crowd Thinking

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some food for thought.

In World championship motorcycle racing the MotoE class is the slowest.
MotoGP is the fastest, Wsbk is next, followed by Moto2 then World SuperSport, Moto3 and finally MotoE.

During the weekend's Wsbk commentary, James Toseland was talking about Dominique Aegerter, (the current MotoE world champion), and how he's taking to the Wsbk class.
He mentioned that the MotoE bike he was riding weighed 100kg more than his Wsbk.
Yes you read that right, 100kg!

In the MotoE class, races are seven laps, (between 18 and 24 miles), because that's how long the batteries last at race pace, less than one lap of the TT course. As seen in TT zero, you could count the finishers on, err, three fingers.
Although to be fair race distances for all MotoGP and Wsbk classes are less than two laps of the TT course.

Looks like there's a long way to go before E bikes will get anywhere near the sustained performance of ICE bikes.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:01 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Looks like there's a long way to go before E bikes will get anywhere near the sustained performance of ICE bikes.

This might read as sarcastic, it's not meant to be: Is the quote above news to you? You know a Tesla with it's ludicrous speed or whatever it's called weighs around 2 tonnes? They publish Nurburgring times, but it's going against physics, i.e. weight. Cars don't have a packaging problem in carrying that sort of battery. Motorcycles do.

I think we'll see steady improvement though. The issue is not whether or not electric vehicles will ever reach parity with IC engine vehicles, the issue is that we need to cut emissions, and electric vehicles will be a part of that whether we like it or not.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:15 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

The issue is not whether or not electric vehicles will ever reach parity with IC engine vehicles, the issue is that we need to cut emissions, and electric vehicles will be a part of that whether we like it or not.

Unles, of course, we make power generation so efficient that we can make ICE fuel by scavaging hydrogen, oxygen and carbon out of the air. Yes, we could crack water for the hydrogen and oxygen but that is power expensive as well.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:20 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
MarJay wrote:

The issue is not whether or not electric vehicles will ever reach parity with IC engine vehicles, the issue is that we need to cut emissions, and electric vehicles will be a part of that whether we like it or not.

Unles, of course, we make power generation so efficient that we can make ICE fuel by scavaging hydrogen, oxygen and carbon out of the air. Yes, we could crack water for the hydrogen and oxygen but that is power expensive as well.

I don't think it'll happen. One of the largest gas production companies in the UK can only produce a low amount of clean hydrogen fuel at the moment and that's produced from oil drilling waste at the moment. They are thinking about constructing a hydrolysis plant, but haven't invested in it yet, and aren't sure about the financial viability from what I can tell.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:29 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBh the only feasable way to do it is fusion. Not fusion directly but using it to make the fuel in the same way we charge a battery now. We all know there's losses involved, it's just acceptable based on the power we have.

Thinking of the losses, there may be a need to get rid of excess heat. using fusion could well add extra heat into a system that isn't in a position to accept it.

Maybe find some way to direct it into the core?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:08 - 28 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just take this time to say:

Thanks to the people of this forum. I know we don't all agree on everything, but this discussion has remained un-toxic. On a Porsche group I'm a member of someone posted a picture of a guys's bonnet interior on what I assume is a mustang, (definitely was not a Porsche) and it had a Mustang Bonnet sized image of Greta Thunberg on said bonnet interior. I felt that was telling us more about the persons insecurity over that than it was about "sticking it to" anyone. The discussion then descended into accusations that I was somehow on the payroll of the climate change mafia, and that I had an 'agenda' and so on. I said nothing of the kind, and in fact encouraged people to drive their Porsches while they still can. I even got accused of being Hitler at one stage, and the man even said "I did my research" and cited a single scientist who did in fact admit that climate change was man made and real, but said it's too late to do anything about it. Sheesh. He then admitted he has a sticker under his fuel flap that says "How dare you" Rolling Eyes I'm no fan of our friend Greta, but when you're sticking stickers on things to remind you to not do what she says... it's a bit of a psychiatrists dream, I feel.

So, thanks BCF. I know sometimes it can seem like a place of argument and discord, but actually we're pretty decent when it comes to things.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:10 - 28 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for balance, Marje is a cunt.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 28 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
He then admitted he has a sticker under his fuel flap that says "How dare you" Rolling Eyes

LMAO I might have to steal that idea. Full disclosure (and older viewers may recall) I replaced the "175" on the side panel of my 2-stroke rebuild with "GRETA" Smile

Anyhoo, getting right down to it energy generation and utilisation is not a problem in the 21st Century. Wind, nuclear, coal, etc. then on to electric motors that are shockingly efficient in terms of electric to kinetic conversion. The problem we have with both large scale and portable/vehicles is storage.

Lithium-Ion batteries are absolutely atrocious compared to all fossil fuels - petrol, diesel, LPG, LNG, etc. - in terms of energy density. They also do not scale well (think building enough batteries to power a town for a day versus an old skool gasometer.) This is the central Achille's Heel that no one in government will acknowledge hence why EVs will be forced on us at gunpoint.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 28 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Anyhoo, getting right down to it energy generation and utilisation is not a problem in the 21st Century. Wind, nuclear, coal, etc. then on to electric motors that are shockingly efficient in terms of electric to kinetic conversion. The problem we have with both large scale and portable/vehicles is storage.

Lithium-Ion batteries are absolutely atrocious compared to all fossil fuels - petrol, diesel, LPG, LNG, etc. - in terms of energy density. They also do not scale well (think building enough batteries to power a town for a day versus an old skool gasometer.) This is the central Achille's Heel that no one in government will acknowledge hence why EVs will be forced on us at gunpoint.

Agreed. This is why, to my knowledge, this is the first time an inferior product has superceeded a superior product and not been cast aside. Obviously because of politics/green etc. etc.

At present battery vehicles are not as practicle as ICE. The battery vehicle will probably get there in the end but if it was not politically pushed it wouldn't be until the qualities of that system exceed what we already have.

However, unless something else (hydrogen or ?) comes along we as a race are committed to electric vehicles for the future. The infrastructure is (slowly) ramping up. The investment in EV's mean they aren't going to be easily pushed aside. Governments are not renowned for admitting they are wrong.

I think the end of ICE's is done and dusted even if bio fuel becomes more readily available (you can already buy bio diesel on the canals which has practically no emissions) as mainstream manufacturers will stop making ICS's so that will be that.

Then of course we come into the next debate, when do the government chage the taxing system so they aren't losing money as the EV's take over. Too soon and they stunt EV purchasing. Too late and they lose shedloads of tax. I'm not sure about the government trying to force people onto public transport for that reason, loss of tax from the private motorist. Anyway that's another issue.

From our point of view, with bikes. Other than commuting scooters and the like, I can't see mainstream motorcycling being sustainable with EVM/C's. I hope I'm wrong.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:24 - 28 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrogen is not going to fix any problems any time soon.

It's just an energy storage medium like a battery. Making it is not terrible efficient, a lot more lossy than charging a battery. Storing it is also tricky, because of the huge pressures or cryogenics required, and the problem that it still leaks out anyway.

Then when you do have a tank of it, you have to run it through a fuel cell to make electricity before running it through an electric motor.

Hydrogen does not solve the packaging issue for bikes.

Biofuels are a shit bit of greenwashing. Less so for biodiesel, but for ethanol it's just awful. Lots of energy goes into turning stuff in fields into ethanol.

Batteries are still the best compromise that actually work, and the addition of shitloads of money into battery research is quite useful too.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 28 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Hydrogen is not going to fix any problems any time soon.

It's just an energy storage medium like a battery. Making it is not terrible efficient, a lot more lossy than charging a battery. Storing it is also tricky, because of the huge pressures or cryogenics required, and the problem that it still leaks out anyway.

Then when you do have a tank of it, you have to run it through a fuel cell to make electricity before running it through an electric motor.

Hydrogen does not solve the packaging issue for bikes.

Biofuels are a shit bit of greenwashing. Less so for biodiesel, but for ethanol it's just awful. Lots of energy goes into turning stuff in fields into ethanol.

Batteries are still the best compromise that actually work, and the addition of shitloads of money into battery research is quite useful too.

ANd there you have the word that summarises EV technology - compromise.

But I agree, for what is required in todays political climate (get it, climate Gagged ) it is the only realistic alternative.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5