Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can you get bike keys cut?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Can you get bike keys cut? Reply with quote

I'm selling a tank. I've got the key but I need it because I'm using one of the locks on the bike for a different bike, and it uses the same key. Looks like a normal sort of key - cut on both sides, maybe for a 3- or 4-pin barrel. It looks very ordinary. Doesn't look sophisticated, and I don't think it is. I won't include a picture because (and I don't know if this is true) some people say it's a security risk. However, imagine an original, standard Kawasaki tank key from the 1980s. Do you think I could get it cut in one of those machines they have in supermarkets nowadays, so that I can include a key with the tank? Don't trust Timpsons but I trust those machines.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Re: Can you get bike keys cut? Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I'm selling a tank. I've got the key but I need it because I'm using one of the locks on the bike for a different bike, and it uses the same key. Looks like a normal sort of key - cut on both sides, maybe for a 3- or 4-pin barrel. It looks very ordinary. Doesn't look sophisticated, and I don't think it is. I won't include a picture because (and I don't know if this is true) some people say it's a security risk. However, imagine an original, standard Kawasaki tank key from the 1980s. Do you think I could get it cut in one of those machines they have in supermarkets nowadays, so that I can include a key with the tank? Don't trust Timpsons but I trust those machines.

Why don't you trust Timpsons out of curiosity? The have no idea who you are, where you live or what the key is for?

Anyway, theres plenty of independant lock smiths, at least there is down my way, who would do it for you. Infact I've got so many bike keys from the 70's on I've probably got one that will fit your lock. Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:37 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timpsons have a policy of rehabilitating recently released crims through giving them jobs.

It's to be applauded unless you are paranoid to the extent that you think they will leave their job midway through their shift to follow you home to find out where the lock they just made a key for lives.

I'm not paranoid.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the trust thing is purely based on competence of work. I had to get copies made of my house keys, a couple of years ago. I took a key to Timpsons and they were friendly and nice, and sold me 3 copies. Not one of them worked but they all looked as if they would. Another time, I managed to break my house key (it was an old lock). With a lot of fiddling about, I managed to recover both pieces. I took them to Timpsons and there was nothing they could do. As I needed to lock the door, I took a chance on this Afghan-owned shop selling DIY and bits of junk, which I'd remembered had a sign saying they could copy keys. The guy took both pieces, laughed uproariously, and then gave it a go on a mini lathe he had there. As far as I could tell, he just used his naked eye while working there behind the counter. I took the made-up key and it worked...
The next day I got copies of that key from a machine that had just been put in a local Sainsburys. I got 3 copies and they were perfect. Soon after, I replaced the barrel with one of those 3-star Yale ones which can't be copied.

Anyway, long story short, the machine I trust. Smile

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had seven different keys cut at two different Timpsons since about August and not one of them fitted and worked properly. Two of them didn't even turn at all. One of those two I modified with a mini grinder the other I've yet to sort.

So yeah, avoid.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:56 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're nothing fancy. I use a guy in a caravan in the local industrial estate. He likes you to take the lock along so you can check it works after.

Or buy a random key for it and rearrange the lock wafers so it fits. Even I can do that and I'm no locksmith, as I said, bike keys are nothing special.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had keys cut by the lot below
the last time was for a Givi top box key just based on a number
there was a slight snag/confusion but they fixed it promptly at no further expense to me so I'd deffo use them again.
IIRC they can also do a cut based on a pic of a key

https://www.replacementkeys.co.uk/vehicle/motorcycle/

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I've had keys cut by the lot below
the last time was for a Givi top box key just based on a number
there was a slight snag/confusion but they fixed it promptly at no further expense to me so I'd deffo use them again.
IIRC they can also do a cut based on a pic of a key

https://www.replacementkeys.co.uk/vehicle/motorcycle/

+1

two sets of VW keys all good.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:51 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Re: Can you get bike keys cut? Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

plenty on eBay who will do it from a picture, I did that with my Yamaha 125

just make sure your picture is good quality

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy enough to cut.
The machine is more likely to hold the key data than someone in a key shop.
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that replacement key company linked above said they could do it without even needing a photo of the key. They just needed to know the 6-digit number stamped into it. Problem solved! Thanks all.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 09 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is literally what I've tried to do today.

I picked up a Yamaha YBR 125 for my 19 year old today, it was a bit away and my work colleague was heading past, so I tagged a long and rode the bike back. It had 1 key and its going in my flipping garage, with my other 2 motorcycles , an electric bike a chop saws and tools.

There's a place in Huddersfield that everyone within 20 miles knows and well I went there as I know i'll need to move it, to manoeuvre things about.

On a side note, i've not ridden anything less than about 500cc in 19 years and I had a great day.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1